ImageImage

Signed With Portland: The Cody Zeller Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,431

Re: The Cody Zeller Thread - 3 

Post#161 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Somehow Cody is going to break his nose doing that yard work. I imagine it playing out like a 3 Stooges physical comedy bit involving all the Zeller brothers.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#162 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Where do we stand on Cody? Is he someone Kupchak and JB are considering as a long term answer, a bridge, or a trade chip, a salary dump?
It has been written...
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,557

Post#163 » by HornetJail » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:55 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Where do we stand on Cody? Is he someone Kupchak and JB are considering as a long term answer, a bridge, or a trade chip, a salary dump?

probably all of the above. you think this franchise has a plan?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#164 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:28 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Where do we stand on Cody? Is he someone Kupchak and JB are considering as a long term answer, a bridge, or a trade chip, a salary dump?

probably all of the above. you think this franchise has a plan?

I don't think the front office accidently trimmed down to 5 young players (Rozier - Monk - Bacon - Bridges - PJ), where 4 have 2-way potential and positional versatility.

I don't think it's accidental that this front office did not spend a first on Gasol, or someone like Belinelli and has all of its first rounders.

I don't think it's accidental that this front office has added 2nd round picks rather than selling off seconds.

I don't think it's accidental that Mitch's 2 first rounders are not projects on one or both sides of the ball like Biz, MKG, Vonleh, Cody, Hairston, Frank and Monk.

I don't think it's accidental that this front office targeted a playoff tested PG who can guard Monk's man.

I don't think it's accidental this front office did not give a multi-year deal to role players like Lamb and Frank.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#165 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Having a plan for Cody is tough. I think they are not at all high on him and tried to upgrade him multiple times, evidenced by rumors of their pursuit of centers.

I'm gonna say centers are currently overpriced and Cody can't be moved without a pick attached. So you can't overpay for a center and you can't pay to dump Cody. We're stuck with him.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,662

Post#166 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:27 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:I don't think it's accidental that this front office targeted a playoff tested PG who can guard Monk's man.

They didn't target Rozier. Kemba told them where he was going and fortunately BOS and Rozier don't have a great relationship so he was made available to S&T. If BOS had known Horford would ditch them we may not have been able to get him at all.

This narrative that the FO had any focus on landing Rozier before Kemba told them where he was going is clearly inaccurate.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#167 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:45 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I don't think it's accidental that this front office targeted a playoff tested PG who can guard Monk's man.

They didn't target Rozier. Kemba told them where he was going and fortunately BOS and Rozier don't have a great relationship so he was made available to S&T. If BOS had known Horford would ditch them we may not have been able to get him at all.

This narrative that the FO had any focus on landing Rozier before Kemba told them where he was going is clearly inaccurate.

The narrative that it was Rozier or bust is clearly inaccurate. There were other free agents like Mudiay out there. And, gee I wonder why they didn't have cap for someone like D'Angelo Russell.

With Kemba wanting to play for a perennial contender, what option would folks here have preferred over Rozier?

Is there someone who fits cap I'm missing?
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#168 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:17 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:The narrative that it was Rozier or bust is clearly inaccurate. There were other free agents like Mudiay out there. And, gee I wonder why they didn't have cap for someone like D'Angelo Russell.

Would you really have been happy if we let Kemba walk and then signed Mudiay to the MLE? That would be evidence of a competent GM?

MasterIchiro wrote:With Kemba wanting to play for a perennial contender, what option would folks here have preferred over Rozier?

Is there someone who fits cap I'm missing?

Rozier himself wasn't an option before Kemba created it, the FO doesn't get to frame that trade as a target they were pursuing other than as a result of being caught with no alternative when Kemba didn't take their offer.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#169 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Realizing that this is the Zeller thread, let's move this to a more appropriate thread.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#170 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:43 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Having a plan for Cody is tough. I think they are not at all high on him and tried to upgrade him multiple times, evidenced by rumors of their pursuit of centers.

I'm gonna say centers are currently overpriced and Cody can't be moved without a pick attached. So you can't overpay for a center and you can't pay to dump Cody. We're stuck with him.

I think my Celtics might be interested. Obviously the Kemba chemistry on PNR but Zeller's skillset would be big for a squad with so many scorers and so few guys willing/able to do the basics.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#171 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Having a plan for Cody is tough. I think they are not at all high on him and tried to upgrade him multiple times, evidenced by rumors of their pursuit of centers.

I think my Celtics might be interested. Obviously the Kemba chemistry on PNR but Zeller's skillset would be big for a squad with so many scorers and so few guys willing/able to do the basics.

Well Smart lines up but he has an extra year. I can't expect the Celtics to add an asset. Smart also fits with Kemba because Kemba can play off ball while Smart can defend guards. I also don't think the Hornets would start Biz or Hernangomez at center.
It has been written...
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,734

Post#172 » by 316Hornets » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:26 pm

I'd be a little surprised if we gave up on Zeller. He is a positive asset when he can stay healthy. I don't see much return value unless we could trade him for a worse contract + 1st round draft pick.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,185

Post#173 » by SWedd523 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:50 pm

316Hornets wrote:He is a positive asset when he can stay healthy.

That's kind of the point.

He can't stay healthy.

He hasn't played a full season since his rookie year, has averaged under 50 played the last three seasons, and even when he does play, gets you about 10/6.

It's s time to move on
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,657

Post#174 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Now that we're tanking and hoping to lose, this will be the year that Cody plays 80 games.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#175 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Not sure that the team really is tanking, Fats.

Personally I think that 80 games of Cody would be great. The team's rookies could do worse than to get burn with a guy who plays hard and does the little things to help the team win.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#176 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Well Memphis was open to taking back a young center for Gasol, evidenced by Valanciaunas for Gasol. I would be surprised if Mitch didn't include Cody as part of the matching salary. Memphis wanted a lotto pick or Monk. Mitch rebuked them. They settled for Valanciaunas over Cody. Why would Charlotte not try to propose a comparable offer to the Raptors? They must have tried to dump Cody. Kinda crazy Memphis has a center they like more than Cody yet Cho is over there. He tried to gank Monk though.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#177 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:57 pm

Also it's possible they tried to move Cody for Drummond, but Detroit, like Memphis, doesn't like Cody but instead tried to get Monk and our lotto pick. Monk + PJ Washington for Drummond is a disaster. Drummond is about to get a max. Monk + PJ Washington for Gasol is an even bigger one as Gasol is old and Kemba is gone. And we weren't going on any kind of run with Gasol like the Raptors did.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#178 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:00 pm

So in order to keep Kemba the demand for Drummond or Gasol was likely Cody + Monk + PJ. That might be three NBA starters. On the flip side, maybe the offers for Kemba were never official because winning teams banked on signing him for money alone and losing teams didn't want to risk significant long term assets for a rental.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,657

Post#179 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Not sure that the team really is tanking, Fats.

Personally I think that 80 games of Cody would be great. The team's rookies could do worse than to get burn with a guy who plays hard and does the little things to help the team win.

you're right and i agree. at worst it raises his trade value. and its not like he"d be stealing mins from a rookie we need to develop.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#180 » by BlackOutBuzz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Of the big contracts, Cody is the one I'd be most interested in keeping. Still only 26, has actually been a real difference maker *when healthy (is he our best draft pick still on the roster?).

More importantly, his contract expires when there are actual quality free agents on the market, not like this upcoming summer when we have $45M coming off the books with terrible options to spend it on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed

Return to Charlotte Hornets