Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Re: The Cody Zeller Thread - 3 

Post#61 » by fatlever » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:45 pm

part of stealth tank plan might be to either
1) Hold Cody out longer than needed - player and coach might fight that
2) Put Cody on minutes restriction
3) Hold Cody out on B2B or rest him every few games

Not sure anyone in front office would be able to convince Cliff, Cody and MJ of this plan however.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,239

Post#62 » by amcoolio » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:24 pm

fatlever wrote:part of stealth tank plan might be to either
1) Hold Cody out longer than needed - player and coach might fight that
2) Put Cody on minutes restriction
3) Hold Cody out on B2B or rest him every few games

Not sure anyone in front office would be able to convince Cliff, Cody and MJ of this plan however.

Trading for Plumlee's awful contract confirms that the FO, Cliff, and MJ have no plans to tank. I would support this if we hadn't taken on that contract.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#63 » by Eoghan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:44 am

8miles wrote:They must've misdiagnosed his injury. No way a quad contusion does what was described in the observer article and causes him to miss this many games.

Reminds me of the knee bruise that sidelined Bismack for a quarter of the season. Our medical staff has to be led by Dr. Nick from the Simpsons.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#64 » by Radu_Hornets » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 am

Eoghan wrote:
8miles wrote:They must've misdiagnosed his injury. No way a quad contusion does what was described in the observer article and causes him to miss this many games.

Reminds me of the knee bruise that sidelined Bismack for a quarter of the season. Our medical staff has to be led by Dr. Nick from the Simpsons.

Hahaha Dr. Nick !
You got me on that one :lol:
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#65 » by 316Hornets » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:37 am

"When Zeller plays, Charlotte has outscored opponents by 175 points in 1044 minutes. To put that in perspective, that’s the scoring differential of a 64-win team (not a typo)."

"For the Hornets, it’s clear that the root cause of their struggles this season has been the availability of one solid, if unspectacular big man."

"The ability for a roll man to suck defenders into the paint because of the threat of a rim finish is a crucial aspect of any pick-and-roll attack, likely why Charlotte’s offensive rating jumps from 102.8 sans Zeller to 108.6 with him on the floor, per NBA.com."

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/244996/The-NBAs-No-Mans-Land-Charlotte-Hornets

This article speaks volumes into Cody Zeller's importance on this team. If he could stay healthy for the rest of the year, Charlotte would be the dark horse that nobody is going to want to go against in the playoffs.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#66 » by HornetJail » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:41 am

316Hornets wrote:"When Zeller plays, Charlotte has outscored opponents by 175 points in 1044 minutes. To put that in perspective, that’s the scoring differential of a 64-win team (not a typo)."

"For the Hornets, it’s clear that the root cause of their struggles this season has been the availability of one solid, if unspectacular big man."

"The ability for a roll man to suck defenders into the paint because of the threat of a rim finish is a crucial aspect of any pick-and-roll attack, likely why Charlotte’s offensive rating jumps from 102.8 sans Zeller to 108.6 with him on the floor, per NBA.com."

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/244996/The-NBAs-No-Mans-Land-Charlotte-Hornets

This article speaks volumes into Cody Zeller's importance on this team. If he could stay healthy for the rest of the year, Charlotte would be the dark horse that nobody is going to want to go against in the playoffs.

This is because Cody plays a massive percentage of his minutes with our starting unit. Our starting unit, even with Batum's and Marvin's struggles this season, is among the best in the conference. We turn to **** the second anybody from our bench without a sheep-related last name steps on the court.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#67 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
316Hornets wrote:"When Zeller plays, Charlotte has outscored opponents by 175 points in 1044 minutes. To put that in perspective, that’s the scoring differential of a 64-win team (not a typo)."

This is because Cody plays a massive percentage of his minutes with our starting unit. Our starting unit, even with Batum's and Marvin's struggles this season, is among the best in the conference. We turn to **** the second anybody from our bench without a sheep-related last name steps on the court.

The bench is a huge problem, but that doesn't really negate that Cody brings something unique to the team. His hard screens, energy play, and such are huge for Kemba and Batum. Both guys have a much easier time of it when Zeller is on the court.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Post#68 » by chellis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

The bench is a huge problem, but that doesn't really negate that Cody brings something unique to the team. His hard screens, energy play, and such are huge for Kemba and Batum. Both guys have a much easier time of it when Zeller is on the court.

Zeller is the epitome of a player who knows his role and plays it perfectly. I've grown to really change my opinion on him the more I watch and the stat breakdowns I see.

You're right, our bench sucks. I thought this summer we should have prioritized Lin and Lee over Batum and Williams. But eh, whatever at this point.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#69 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:18 am

Zeller hasnt even come close to reaching his peak as a player either. In my opinion.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#70 » by HornetJail » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:21 am

chellis wrote:You're right, our bench sucks. I thought this summer we should have prioritized Lin and Lee over Batum and Williams. But eh, whatever at this point.

then our starting unit would be less good and our bench would still be ass.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#71 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:57 am

chellis wrote:You're right, our bench sucks. I thought this summer we should have prioritized Lin and Lee over Batum and Williams. But eh, whatever at this point.

Easy to say so in hindsight, of course, but that would have probably resulted in a very similar season. Frank would have struggled as the starting 4 and brought down the net rating of the starters, while the bench would have suffered due to Lin's injuries. At this point we can't be certain about how the future of his career will go down.

I completely agree with the premise itself. Marv and Batum were overpays the second the ink dried on those contracts. You could have predicted that they would slowly start to decline.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#72 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:43 pm

I feel like Batum is producing ... just not as much as we would wish given his contract. My hope is that he's serious in his comments about reducing his role on the National Team, gets some rest over the summer, and comes back strong next year.

Marv on the other hand has fallen off a cliff. In his case I hope it's due to injury and not just age / not playing in a contract year.
Folks here got on Zeller about the Miami series last year, but IMHO Marv did pretty badly there too. I was a bit surprised that it didn't affect his contract situation more.

As for Zeller, I'm hopeful that the Plumlee trade will pay off in the long term for him, with reduced minutes and less dependence on him being healthy. It's looking bad now ... but by next year hopefully both of them are in a better place.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Post#73 » by chellis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:41 pm

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

then our starting unit would be less good and our bench would still be ass.

With Lin being injured absolutely. I can't disagree with you there. And yeah there's a good chance SLU production dips since Batum helps or Kemba nicely but his damn near max deal wasn't something I was extremely excited about. I know the cap went up but I wish FOs around the league would just tell agents and FAs no you aren't worth that much. That's just my personal opinion.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#74 » by Rich4114 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm

At the time, I was in agreement that Batum and Marvin were the priorities and we'd have to over-pay to keep them. We pretty much had to at the time. The issue is that Marvin had a career year in his what, 10th season or something and Batum is performing like he did on the Blazers before we traded for him. Which one is the real version of these guys? I am less surprised about Marvin because chances are he is more like he was his entire career as opposed to last season. Even if we gave Marvin's money to Lin - could we have kept him? Lin wanted to start and is a starting caliber guard. I think we could've kept him if we paid him the same but I'm not 100% confident on that one. The thing that stood out to me the most was while Batum and Marvin were sucking big time in the Miami series (or injured) we had a ton of success on Walker/Lin penetration to the basket.

Here, let's just do this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hm4skvt

And then this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#75 » by GlenRiceARoni » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Can we get this negativity crap out of the CODY ZELLER thread?

He is one of the better value deals in the league over the next four years by the way.

Hes probably a top ten center making barely more than backup money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I invented the Piano Key Necktie.
What did Vivek get for Cousins?
NOTHING!
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#76 » by Snidely FC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:58 pm

this team must realize they've only won twice without Cody, right?

I think adding Plumlee shows the team realizes what style of play makes them successful and is an endorsement of Cody. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

if they trade Zeller I'll have a conniption
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#77 » by GlenRiceARoni » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Another good reason to let him sit the remainder of the season and come back healthy next year.

Trading for Miles was a clear indication we recognize cody is a high impact, high motor guy but that he needs to play low minutes and will probably not hold up for more than 55-70 games a year.

And thats fine if your backup is another high energy, pnr, playmaking guy who fits your scheme.

If you have D level replacement talent or plodders like Hibbert and hawes yoy are screwed though

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I invented the Piano Key Necktie.
What did Vivek get for Cousins?
NOTHING!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#78 » by yosemiteben » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:36 pm

If Cody is incapable of playing more than 55 games per year, we need to find another center. That's not going to work.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,123

Post#79 » by JDR720 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 pm

yosemiteben wrote:If Cody is incapable of playing more than 55 games per year, we need to find another center. That's not going to work.

We have le plum . Don't worry about it.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#80 » by yosemiteben » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:44 pm

JDR720 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:If Cody is incapable of playing more than 55 games per year, we need to find another center. That's not going to work.

We have le plum . Don't worry about it.

I get your point, but you can't plan on him just missing almost half the season every year and just rolling the dice hoping he's healthy come playoff time and stays healthy as long as you're alive in the playoffs.

If the FO got medical opinions suggesting that that was a realistic forecast, I'd be down with trading Cody.

Return to Charlotte Hornets