ImageImage

Reverse Tim Duncan - The Dwight Howard Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,505

Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#541 » by GoBobs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 am

Dwight isn't the problem with this team. He replaced Plumlee, and he gave us a lot more then Plumlee would have. It isn't Dwights fault that Clifford doesn't have an innovative scheme or that Batum sucked all year.

If Dwight could shot 88 percent from the free throw line he would be the best player in the league. Get the pistons free throw coach and sign Dwight long term to finish his career here.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#542 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Fats had a post in the Monk thread about how Monk's improved end of season play didn't seem to necessarily improve team play especially of the 2nd unit. I feel the same way about Howard.

Dwight's individual numbers are definitely good. His box score +/- for the season was not. He was the only starter with an overall negative BPM. In particular his usage rate and strongly negative OBPM indicate that his offensive possession rarely helped the team much. That's a strong match for the eye test, where it seemed like things could bog down with Dwight in the game, especially early in the season.

I'm not going to be mad if he's back next season, but I am hoping he will be traded.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#543 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 pm

The Howard situation sucks. He demands playing time and touches but he's unfit for modern NBA play. Hernangomez also needs playing time.

On the other hand, there will likely be incoming salary if he's dealt, making it tougher to max out Kemba without hitting the luxury tax. It's likely Kupchak would have to give away Lamb if Howard is traded for incoming salary.

Howard is super valuable to the Hornets as an expiring contract, helping the team retain its most promising starting backcourt of Kemba + Lamb. The only solution is to bench Dwight. Good luck with that.
It has been written...
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#544 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:05 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Howard is super valuable to the Hornets as an expiring contract, helping the team retain its most promising starting backcourt of Kemba + Lamb. The only solution is to bench Dwight. Good luck with that.

I don't feel like calculating the exact number, but as long a Dwight trade returns some some portion of an expiring contract it's fine. Similarly if it's possible to trade MKG, Marv, or Zeller separately for space or an expiring then a Dwight trade doesn't have to return an expiring.

Outside of trades it's possible to buy Dwight out or even just waive him without stretching, which has the exact same effect cap wise as keeping him on the team all year.

So there are options outside of keeping him around or benching him.
My picks:
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#545 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Howard is super valuable to the Hornets as an expiring contract, helping the team retain its most promising starting backcourt of Kemba + Lamb. The only solution is to bench Dwight. Good luck with that.

I don't feel like calculating the exact number, but as long a Dwight trade returns some some portion of an expiring contract it's fine. Similarly if it's possible to trade MKG, Marv, or Zeller separately for space or an expiring then a Dwight trade doesn't have to return an expiring.

Outside of trades it's possible to buy Dwight out or even just waive him without stretching, which has the exact same effect cap wise as keeping him on the team all year.

So there are options outside of keeping him around or benching him.

It would be addition by subtraction if they can make it work. The trouble is, the teams that could use Dwight for a quick 1-year playoff pop are spenders, and have little space to absorb Dwight. On the flipside, a noncontender with ample space doesn't put a high value on an expiring contract, as they already have space.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#546 » by fatlever » Fri May 18, 2018 5:12 pm

the comments LOL

Read on Twitter

Bro you took all of 2012-2013 off though.
You just went on a 2 week vacation (he did, he was in Greece LOL)
No Rings either. Keep dreaming.
Bro you remind of of a hulk version of Kevin Willis
Bruh, everydays is a day off when you on the court lol
Work on free throws big fella
Actually you got all summer, bum
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#547 » by fatlever » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Reverse Tim Duncan - The Dwight Howard Thread

Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Re: Reverse Tim Duncan - The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#548 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I do no have nearly enough and 1's for your post and the thread name change Fats.

He really is the anti-Duncan and I have no idea how I never saw that before.
My picks:
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Re: Reverse Tim Duncan - The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#549 » by Diop » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:48 am

what a bizarre statement by Dwight, what the hell does it even mean?

success wise he is definitely the reverse

Return to Charlotte Hornets