ImageImage

Reverse Tim Duncan - The Dwight Howard Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#261 » by Lwcasu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:11 am

Eoghan wrote:Dwight doesn't look remotely as athletic as he used to. Lebron is still pretty athletic, his decline hasn't been anywhere near as dramatic or noticeable as Dwight's. Dwight doesn't look like he wants to bend over at the waist anymore, he reminds me of Glenn Robinson.

While I have to admit I haven't watched a lot of Atlanta games, and all of this is based upon Youtube highlights, I'm going to have to disagree. Yes, his fluidity has declined, but he can still get up as high as when he entered the league, and has the same muscle mass as his Orlando days.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#262 » by 316Hornets » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 am

It's really going to come down to whether Howard is motivated or not. The fact that he is only 31 means he could land another lucrative contract if he plays well. That should provide a lot of motivation. 31 year olds with his genetics don't just decline dramatically. Sure, he may of lost a little hop, but he still has the ability to carry this team through stretches of games.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#263 » by Radu_Hornets » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:45 am

That second dunk... :crazy:
ammofan
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#264 » by ammofan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:

It's easy to forget how dominant he was in ORL. Sheesh.
SpearNMgicHelmt
Senior
And1: 160

Post#265 » by SpearNMgicHelmt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:12 pm

316Hornets wrote:It's really going to come down to whether Howard is motivated or not. The fact that he is only 31 means he could land another lucrative contract if he plays well. That should provide a lot of motivation. 31 year olds with his genetics don't just decline dramatically. Sure, he may of lost a little hop, but he still has the ability to carry this team through stretches of games.

In his press conference the other day, he certainly sounded sincere in his extensive praise of Clifford, so I'm hoping that relationship is a huge factor in how this turns out.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Post#266 » by HornetJail » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:

I totally forgot about that one on Jrue Holiday. Was like a mini DJ on Knight dunk
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#267 » by fatlever » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Dwight really getting on board with being a Hornet. Great sign. Except, Monk is photoshopped into Batum's jersey. Oops. No respect for the guy passing you the ball. LOL.

Read on Twitter
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#268 » by Diop » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:57 am

fatlever wrote:Dwight really getting on board with being a Hornet. Great sign. Except, Monk is photoshopped into Batum's jersey. Oops. No respect for the guy passing you the ball. LOL.

Read on Twitter

he seems to be a pro with his comments etc.

i guess he learnt from the problems at Orlando
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#269 » by Diop » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 am

thought i would look at some of his last years highlights, all dunks. looks like he runs to the rim pretty well and is still stronger than the average around the rim.

as long as doesn't want to be the Al Jefferson of this team offensively, I'm quite excited.
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#270 » by BatumtheGlue » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am

Since being forced onto the court too early in LA after the surgery of his back problems, his athleticism seems regressed each years.

That being said, i'm still more than OK to have him in our team than that useless Plum.
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#271 » by Chapelchilla » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:10 pm

He gives us an elite level rebounder and provides high level interior defense, that is a heckuva upgrade at 2 of our weakest spots. If Cho can work some magic on getting a good, tall back up PG and a playable wing who can shoot we can finish 3rd in the East. Win a playoff series and take Boston on in the second round. That would be a fun year.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#272 » by CuseMayne » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:He gives us an elite level rebounder and provides high level interior defense, that is a heckuva upgrade at 2 of our weakest spots. If Cho can work some magic on getting a good, tall back up PG and a playable wing who can shoot we can finish 3rd in the East. Win a playoff series and take Boston on in the second round. That would be a fun year.

Agreed. Keep in mind, all of the talking heads said Dwight had a down year...but still averaged 13ppg and 13rpg roughly. If he is even able to repeat/get close to that for us this year, that is huge. That kind of production is exactly what we need from the C position, and the fact that those numbers are considered a down year is a testament to the kind of talent we just acquired while giving up an aging asset and one of the worst contracts in the NBA...

As far as the backup PG and playable wing situation, we definitely have options here. Not quite sure how the cap would work in some of these scenarios, but how realistic is it that we aggressively look to sign Redick? Would be an amazing fit with what we have now:

Kemba/JJ/Nic/Marv/Dwight -- MLE PG/J-Lamb/MKG/Frank/Cody (I suppose the starting PF is up for debate, but I feel like we are paying Marv too much to not start him. I also think that it is key, mainly for defensive reasons, that Batum moves back to his natural SF position) -- Both of these lineups would have pretty solid balance on each end, and is versatile enough to make adjustments accordingly, barring Clifford is able to break out of his fixed rotations, which admittedly has been a problem in the past.

My preferred choices for backup PG, if possible:
Tyreke Evans
Shelvin Mack
Darren Collison

Back to the original topic, the platoon of DH12 and Zeller should in theory be very effective. I see Dwight starting, but both players averaging similar minutes. This is key to stay fresh towards the second half of the regular season/playoffs...
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#273 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Dwight is easily one of the most underrated players in the league. He puts up impressive per36 numbers and still has a huge impact defensively.

We will be a much better offensive team now that we can get stops and clean the glass without having to commit to team rebounding on defense every possession.

People dont realize how interrelated defense and offense are in the modern nba. The sport more closely resembles soccer than 90s basketball with all the back and forth currently

"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#274 » by fatlever » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:46 pm

I'll be super happy about Dwight being here for as long as he doesn't stand in Cody's way. Cody needs to be the 4thQ closer. Cody's 4thQ advanced stats for last year are off the charts. Cody needs 24 mpg and to be playing last 5-6 minutes at end.
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Post#275 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Both of them figure to miss games. Theyll get plenty of minutes.

I just hope we dont waste any time trying to play them together. Although it could work if cody added a J. Don't see that happening obviously

"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#276 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:48 am

Webber/Lamb/MKG/Zeller/Dwight ... It will happen.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#277 » by TheKingofSting » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:59 am

fatlever wrote:Dwight really getting on board with being a Hornet. Great sign. Except, Monk is photoshopped into Batum's jersey. Oops. No respect for the guy passing you the ball. LOL.

Read on Twitter

Batum must be on his way out the door to make room for Gordon H.

D12 really likes Bacon too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,033

Post#278 » by JDR720 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 2:43 am

fatlever wrote:I'll be super happy about Dwight being here for as long as he doesn't stand in Cody's way. Cody needs to be the 4thQ closer. Cody's 4thQ advanced stats for last year are off the charts. Cody needs 24 mpg and to be playing last 5-6 minutes at end.

I think Dwight will get close to 30mins. Zeller does need to play the end of the game tho, hack a Dwight will suck.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#279 » by Diop » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:09 am

fatlever wrote:I'll be super happy about Dwight being here for as long as he doesn't stand in Cody's way. Cody needs to be the 4thQ closer. Cody's 4thQ advanced stats for last year are off the charts. Cody needs 24 mpg and to be playing last 5-6 minutes at end.

this brings up my biggest concern, that Dwight will become a primadonna bitch and complain about not ending games and not enough touches in the post
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#280 » by BobsBuddy » Wed Jul 5, 2017 12:00 pm

:( :( :( DWIGHT......................NO 3S...You Hear?.....Take 2 advil and shoot 100 Free throws a day :banghead:

Return to Charlotte Hornets