ImageImage

Reverse Tim Duncan - The Dwight Howard Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#461 » by catch20two » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Dwight has his issues that annoy me like dribbling up the court when there’s a guard right next to him calling for the ball and shooting jumpers early in the shot clock knowing damn well he can’t even be trusted to make a free throw. That’s before even mentioning some of the silly, boneheaded, and unnecessary fouls that he commit.

But my biggest issue with Dwight is not even Dwight. It’s how and when Clifford uses him. It was the same way with Big Al. I had no problem with the player as much as I had with how and when Clifford used them when we had better options on the bench that were more suitable for the situation.

There’s no reason why Dwight should be closing out games while teams do the Hack-A-Dwight or intentionally running PnRs at him or playing a 3pt shooting C to take him away from the basket when he have a healthy Cody on the roster that has shown to be a more than solid option at C in previous years.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#462 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm

geraldwallace wrote:Honestly a lot of you guys just use Dwight as a scape goat for the teams troubles. Since we now have a unpopular player that many of you probably didn't like before we traded for him, you have him on a extremely tight leash. Look at a game like last night, Dwight was awesome

I think it's more like we are losing a LOT of close games and the common denominator is Dwight stepping out of bounds, clunking long 2's, and shooting 40% from the FT line most evenings...
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#463 » by geraldwallace » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:56 pm

I’m not saying Dwight Howard has been perfect. But I feel like a lot of you guys didn’t like Dwight before we got him so he’s a easy scape goat

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#464 » by geraldwallace » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Cody hasn’t been playing out of the world either

catch20two
RealGM

Post#465 » by catch20two » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 pm

geraldwallace wrote:I’m not saying Dwight Howard has been perfect. But I feel like a lot of you guys didn’t like Dwight before we got him so he’s a easy scape goat

I’d say Clifford has been the scapegoat mostly. Dwight is just the veteran player favorite of this season (because Clifford has at least one or two every season) that Clifford blindly misuses so that’s why he get a lot of flack. But most of the disdain is almost always aimed at Clifford.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
catch20two
RealGM

Post#466 » by catch20two » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 pm

geraldwallace wrote:Cody hasn’t been playing out of the world either

Cody is playing about on par to his career best numbers from the past two seasons. His on/off net ratings are just getting affected by playing with the bench. Monk has been a disaster so far with his bad shot selection and defense. MCW won’t be the answer tho. I’ve said that Clifford need to stagger Batum into the 2nd unit to play PG all season.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#467 » by yosemiteben » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:14 am

I continue to believe that Dwight's strengths are a perfect match for our team. I do agree that we show a surprising tolerance for his weaknesses, though last game was major improvement and I wonder if it's tough love time with Cliff.

I will say that it is unbelievable to me that we allow our 40% FT shooter to shoot long 2s in our half court offense. If I were Cliff that would be instant benching.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#468 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:04 am

Also, when we hit the bonus, Dwight needs to be OUT of the game, and Kemba needs to be IN the game... It makes absolutely ZERO sense not to have a guy like Kemba who can draw fouls via penentration on the bench when we are in the bonus.

And it makes even less sense to have a guy who is shooting FORTY percent in the game when we are IN the bonus... ZERO.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,718

Post#469 » by the_process » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:15 am

jayu70 wrote:And so...it begins....
ORL fans warned LAL fans who warned HOU fans who warned us Hawks fans who tried to tell Buzz fans - the Dwight Howard effect is real.
Most Hawks fans wanted him to set solid screens, defend the rim, rebound and roll to the basket - instead his screens were really weak since he was more interested in grabbing a rebound and some gawdawful PnR defense.
The things he wants on offense he is no longer capable of doing - he can't outquick guys to the rim anymore and he can't overpower guys as he used to since he's lost his explosiveness. He wants the ball in the post but is not a good post player.
The bad freethrows are expected but its the turnovers due to bad shots and brick hands that were really fustrating.

And even with all that... CHA still robbed ATL blind in that deal.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#470 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:03 am

the_process wrote:
ORL fans warned LAL fans who warned HOU fans who warned us Hawks fans who tried to tell Buzz fans - the Dwight Howard effect is real.
Most Hawks fans wanted him to set solid screens, defend the rim, rebound and roll to the basket - instead his screens were really weak since he was more interested in grabbing a rebound and some gawdawful PnR defense.
The things he wants on offense he is no longer capable of doing - he can't outquick guys to the rim anymore and he can't overpower guys as he used to since he's lost his explosiveness. He wants the ball in the post but is not a good post player.
The bad freethrows are expected but its the turnovers due to bad shots and brick hands that were really fustrating.

Yeah where we really win is that Dwight only had 2 years remaining and Plumlee had 3. So either this offseason or before the trade deadline Dwight is imminently movable as a huge expiring deal from a guy who is still rotation worthy. Or we just let it play out and we get low end starter/high end backup production from the center position... we were capped out anyway so the salary is pretty irrelevant

Whereas it will be near impossible to move Plumlee (even though its SOMEHOW been done twice already) without taking bad some ugly stuff.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#471 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 pm

the_process wrote:

That's like saying I parked an old broken down junker that doesn't run and no chance of running on the street and somebody stole it. So instead of paying to tow it someone took it off my hands :lol: :lol:
Good luck to allya with Dwight.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,718

Post#472 » by the_process » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:30 pm

jayu70 wrote:
the_process wrote:
The bad free throws are expected but its the turnovers due to bad shots and brick hands that were really fustrating.

That's like saying I parked an old broken down junker that doesn't run and no chance of running on the street and somebody stole it. So instead of paying to tow it someone took it off my hands :lol: :lol:

Except it wasn’t a junker, it had value. Maybe not to you, but to others. But you treated it like a junker. And I’m indifferent toward Dwight, actually.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#473 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 pm

the_process wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
the_process wrote:

Except it wasn’t a junker, it had value. Maybe not to you, but to others. But you treated it like a junker. And I’m indifferent toward Dwight, actually.

It was too much maintenance for us, so yeah junk.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#474 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:11 pm

jayu70 wrote:
the_process wrote:
jayu70 wrote:That's like saying I parked an old broken down junker that doesn't run and no chance of running on the street and somebody stole it. So instead of paying to tow it someone took it off my hands :lol: :lol:

It was too much maintenance for us, so yeah junk.

You don't seem to be winning as many games this year...
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#475 » by HornetJail » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm

jayu70 wrote:
the_process wrote:

you have to pay Miles Plumlee longer than we have to pay Dwight. Even when this trade happened, I said right away that this trade was a win for us even if Dwight never played a game here. For all his warts, he's still been decent here, and there's a notable gap between us playing someone who doesn't belong in the NBA for 20+ mpg and having 48 minutes of starting caliber centers.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#476 » by 316Hornets » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:33 pm

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
the_process wrote:

you have to pay Miles Plumlee longer than we have to pay Dwight. Even when this trade happened, I said right away that this trade was a win for us even if Dwight never played a game here. For all his warts, he's still been decent here, and there's a notable gap between us playing someone who doesn't belong in the NBA for 20+ mpg and having 48 minutes of starting caliber centers.

I'd say it's a win-win. Atlanta obviously wants to tank, so trading away one of their star players who isn't going to be okay with being benched was a win for them. They get Plumlee and Marco who are two great pieces to have if you want to tank.

We get out of a 3 year deal that would have netted us about 0 value and pick-up a star player on the downside of his career. As HM mentioned, his contract will be expiring next year so we'll be able to get some type of value in return if we're ready to move on from him after this season.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#477 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:33 pm

It's still too early to tell with Dwight in terms of how well he will work out here.

I don't have much hope for it, but it's also possible that Plum will get it together and turn that glimpse shown in Phoenix was real. Atlanta could end up really happy with him if so.

Anyway, Atlanta is doing more or less what they set out to do this year. We've been there for this team when they did the same.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,616

Post#478 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#479 » by 316Hornets » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:14 pm

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hack a Dwight is a big reason for that and that falls on Coach Cliff.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#480 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 am

Swear to god Dwight Howard steps on the baseline at least once EVERY game

Return to Charlotte Hornets