Reverse Tim Duncan - The Dwight Howard Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Re: RE: Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#481 » by yosemiteben » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:13 am

HoopsMalone wrote:Swear to god Dwight Howard steps on the baseline at least once EVERY game
If there is any game where criticizing Dwight seems out of place, it's this one. He was excellent tonight.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#482 » by Radu_Hornets » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am

Have you heard his interview at the end of the game ?

He said things like:
- I realize I have the best job in the world
-- I just have to have fun and enjoy myself

I like his mentality and his smile
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#483 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am

Read on Twitter
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#484 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Hoping he makes the ASG
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#485 » by HornetJail » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Hoping he makes the ASG

nah Kemba deserves it over him, and we won't get two all stars unless we're top 3 in the conference
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#486 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:41 pm

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

nah Kemba deserves it over him, and we won't get two all stars unless we're top 3 in the conference

Kemba definitely deserves it over him, but I think its possible Howard makes it as well. Pistons will come back down to earth, and I think we can go on a nice little streak of our own.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#487 » by HornetJail » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

Kemba definitely deserves it over him, but I think its possible Howard makes it as well. Pistons will come back down to earth, and I think we can go on a nice little streak of our own.

I hope so, but we all know that even if this team has 50 wins in April, we'll languish in .500 territory till January before making a run. That's just how things are.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#488 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 pm

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
MotorKeepsGoing wrote:nah Kemba deserves it over him, and we won't get two all stars unless we're top 3 in the conference

I hope so, but we all know that even if this team has 50 wins in April, we'll languish in .500 territory till January before making a run. That's just how things are.

Who is his primary competition right off hand? Embiid is a given that damn beast. Then Drummond? Its a long short, but who knows
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#489 » by HornetJail » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Who is his primary competition right off hand? Embiid is a given that damn beast. Then Drummond? Its a long short, but who knows

LeBron, Giannis, Embiid (health permitting), Horford, Whiteside, Drummond, Love, Harris, Porzingis are all frontcourt players with a legit chance. I doubt Detroit is in a position to have two all-stars in January either, and Harris was a borderline one anyway, so he's got little to no chance, but I think all the others have a better case than Howard. Ben Simmons would be listed too but he's apparently being called a point guard.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#490 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Well the numbers are really pointing to Dwight being the problem now. He's now the 69th (out of 70) ranked centers on offense. Ahead of only Jusuf "The human travel" Nurkic
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#491 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:Well the numbers are really pointing to Dwight being the problem now. He's now the 69th (out of 70) ranked centers on offense. Ahead of only Jusuf "The human travel" Nurkic

Lol. You really don't like him.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#492 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:Well the numbers are really pointing to Dwight being the problem now. He's now the 69th (out of 70) ranked centers on offense. Ahead of only Jusuf "The human travel" Nurkic

Lol. You really don't like him.

The numbers hate him. I'm just the one who gets mad about the subsequent losses that come along with those numbers.

Kemba's are skyrocketing now that they've identified Dwight as the problem.

Of note, Cody's numbers are bad too. I still expect them to go up once he gets some time with the primary units. Frank's are awful too. Hoping he turns it around. He keeps showing flashes
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#493 » by yosemiteben » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm

How is our offense when he plays?
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#494 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:27 pm

yosemiteben wrote:

Affected in an extremely negative manner. That's the point of the statement/statistics...
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#495 » by HornetJail » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Affected in an extremely negative manner. That's the point of the statement/statistics...

You're not entirely wrong tbh. He turns it over every 7.6 minutes of game time, nearly 1/4 of all his possessions. His stupid offensive fouls, travels, and weird passes add up quickly. His daily brick from mid-range might as well be another turnover to his name as well. Not to mention he's averaging 4.7 missed free throws per game shooting 42.9% on the year. Just bringing that up to his career average of 56% gives us an extra point per game, and bringing it up to a respectable 68% gives us two extra points a game (yes I understand some of his points come from getting hacked, which wouldn't happen if he shot 68% from the line, but just go with it). Between the bricked free throws, the boneheaded turnovers, and the 1-2 bad jumpers he takes on a typical night, he gives away a lot of possessions, and points- wayyyy more than the average big.

Despite all of that, he's still a plus on the floor. He's a rebounding machine, a big time presence on defense, and an interior presence that attracts attention. To his credit, he's screening more lately, and has done less dicking around with the ball as if he was Big Al these days, and that's going to pay dividends.

There's a lot of good and a lot of bad with Dwight, but I'm overall fine with him so far. If he can bring his FT% and turnovers to where they were in Atlanta, I'll be pretty happy with him.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#496 » by yosemiteben » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

I really don't understand why you choose to ignore the stats on our offensive performance with Dwight on the floor, it seems so disingenuous. Of all 5 man lineups in the league that have played 50 minutes or more this season (60 total), our current starting lineup ranks 10th in ORTG. Our lineup of Dwight, Kemba, Lamb, Bacon, and Marv ranks 7th.

Dwight being on the floor has not prevented us from having a very good offense. Just give it up.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#497 » by yosemiteben » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Of centers who play more than 20 MPG, Dwight's ORTG is ranked 8th out of 39.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#498 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 am

yosemiteben wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:How is our offense when he plays?

I really don't understand why you choose to ignore the stats on our offensive performance with Dwight on the floor, it seems so disingenuous. Of all 5 man lineups in the league that have played 50 minutes or more this season (60 total), our current starting lineup ranks 10th in ORTG. Our lineup of Dwight, Kemba, Lamb, Bacon, and Marv ranks 7th.

Dwight being on the floor has not prevented us from having a very good offense. Just give it up.

Lol, cherrypicking again.... 60 minutes? Geez if once a game i decided to go heat up a cherry poptart in the toaster oven i could have potentially missed all of them...

He is the 69th out of 70 ranked center on offense. It's a joke at this point. We're going to miss the playoffs if we keep this charade up
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Dwight Howard Thread 

Post#499 » by yosemiteben » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:08 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:

Lol, cherrypicking again....

There is no better measure of how we perform with him on the floor than looking at the number of points scored per 100 possessions. Either you don't know what cherrypicking is or you are just incorrectly using the term to avoid a stat you don't like / understand.

I'm not saying Dwight is a positive contributor offensively. I'm saying you have done nothing to show that we underperform offensively when he plays, and the stats suggest otherwise.
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#500 » by CatgutStitches » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Dwight has his warts, but actually WATCHING most of the games....it is SO nice having a bully down low...Whens the last time we had a player like that? He's a presence defensively, he's a beast on the boards (especially offensive). Its so satisfying seeing him grab an OREB and throw it down on a couple guys heads.

Sure, if he turned the ball over less, made the occasional free throw and played with-in the flow of the game a little better it would be a plus....we also wouldnt have gotten him for what we got him for in that case...Ill take what he's giving us all day as it stands, we are clearly a much better team at full health than we were last year, at least to my eyes.

Return to Charlotte Hornets