ImageImage

We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop

Hornet Mania
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,736

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1461 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:54 pm

Braggins wrote:Has there been any word on whats going on with Monk or what the deal ever was to begin with?

They just announced today that he has been reinstated. Still no details on what he got popped for, other than 'drugs'.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article243362941.html

He would have been eligible to play if the Hornets were one of the 22 Disney World invitees. Sounds like he will be good to go for the start of next season.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 4,437

Post#1462 » by Braggins » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:37 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
Braggins wrote:Has there been any word on whats going on with Monk or what the deal ever was to begin with?

They just announce today that he has been reinstated. Still no details on what he got popped for, other than 'drugs'.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article243362941.html

He would have been eligible to play if the Hornets were one of the 22 Disney World invitees. Sounds like he will be good to go for the start of next season.

Thats good to hear.

I imagine most fans on here are done with Monk, but I still think he has a shot at being a good player. Hes still only 22 and showed improvement in multiple areas this year. His 3pt% tanked this year despite noticeably better shot selection (ft% also noticeably dipped), which could be a concern, but given his good mechanics and history of being able to make shots when he isn't chucking up nonsense, I feel like there is a good chance his outside shooting rebounds and potentially rounds out his improving offensive game.

If he made 3 pointers and free throws this season at the same rate as his first two seasons his scoring numbers would be 10.95 ppg on 45.7/33.8/87(56.6 ts%) shooting splits. Hopefully the decline in 3pt% and ft% is a fluke, or the result of him adjusting to added bulk/strength, and not a long term issue.
Hornet Mania
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,736

Post#1463 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:28 pm

Braggins wrote:I imagine most fans on here are done with Monk, but I still think he has a shot at being a good player. Hes still only 22 and showed improvement in multiple areas this year. His 3pt% tanked this year despite noticeably better shot selection (ft% also noticeably dipped), which could be a concern, but given his good mechanics and history of being able to make shots when he isn't chucking up nonsense, I feel like there is a good chance his outside shooting rebounds and potentially rounds out his improving offensive game.

If he made 3 pointers and free throws this season at the same rate as his first two seasons his scoring numbers would be 10.95 ppg on 45.7/33.8/87(56.6 ts%) shooting splits. Hopefully the decline in 3pt% and ft% is a fluke, or the result of him adjusting to added bulk/strength, and not a long term issue.

I agree, I don't think our team is in a position to turn away young prospects. I've cooled on Monk a lot since he was drafted but he did look his best this year and he's so young it makes no sense to cut bait when he's still cheap to retain.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,198

Post#1464 » by Diop » Mon Jun 8, 2020 11:29 pm

His last few games were some of his best and showed growth, promise.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#1465 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:12 am

Would be crazy stupid to give up on him now.

I do think this next season will make or break him though.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 2,615

Post#1466 » by BigSlam » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:46 am

If he can learn to play within himself he could be really impactful.

He reminds me of Felton in that way - trying to do too much and play better than he actually is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBMF'ers
euphorbus
Starter
And1: 517

Post#1467 » by euphorbus » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:08 pm

It's a great advantage to Monk to be able to work with the Hornets staff over the summer, including shooting, technique, defense, and strength training.
euphorbus
Starter
And1: 517

Post#1468 » by euphorbus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 pm

The rumor is that Monk was busted for using cocaine.

https://thesource.com/2020/06/09/malik-monk-reinstated-from-3-month-drug-suspension/

“We welcome him back, and we move forward,” coach James Borrego told reporters. “Malik is ready to move forward. Obviously we haven’t been on the court with him; he’s been in our facility, which is a positive, but we welcome him back and we have work to do this summer and I know he’s ready to do it.”

Return to Charlotte Hornets