ImageImage

We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, JDR720, fatlever, Diop, BigSlam

Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,286
And1: 490
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1301 » by Robot Rock » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:51 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Yeah I think I agree with that, but at the same time if some team is a believer and is willing to send a solid offer to us I'd seriously consider it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


One of the biggest reasons we are where we are (two years away from being good enough to be called a dumpster fire) is that we consistently buy high and sell low. Continuing that process is not conducive to improvement.
I'd argue the opposite. What player have we sold low on, in the sense that we traded him and then he blew up somewhere else?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


We've bought high on MKG (spending the second overall pick on him) and we have no choice but to sell low or give him away at season's end.

We invested so much into turning Kemba into a superstar and we got Terry Rozier for $58 million out of it. That's what I mean by buying high and selling low. It may not literally be the act of buying, but it's the process of making a major investment and receiving a paltry return.

That's why I advocate waiting on Monk. If we sell now, it makes no sense because he could come out and light it up the first couple months of the season. Is that realistic? Probably not, but the possibility remains that a 21-year-old SG with a lightning-rod skill for scoring could solve issues beyond netting us a second-round pick or two.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,390
And1: 6,857
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1302 » by yosemiteben » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
One of the biggest reasons we are where we are (two years away from being good enough to be called a dumpster fire) is that we consistently buy high and sell low. Continuing that process is not conducive to improvement.
I'd argue the opposite. What player have we sold low on, in the sense that we traded him and then he blew up somewhere else?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


We've bought high on MKG (spending the second overall pick on him) and we have no choice but to sell low or give him away at season's end.

We invested so much into turning Kemba into a superstar and we got Terry Rozier for $58 million out of it. That's what I mean by buying high and selling low. It may not literally be the act of buying, but it's the process of making a major investment and receiving a paltry return.

That's why I advocate waiting on Monk. If we sell now, it makes no sense because he could come out and light it up the first couple months of the season. Is that realistic? Probably not, but the possibility remains that a 21-year-old SG with a lightning-rod skill for scoring could solve issues beyond netting us a second-round pick or two.
I'm 100% down with your argument that we've invested too much and gotten too little back in the past with players.

Where you lose me is using that as a basis to support investing more in Monk. I mean this seems like you want to do the thing you just said has gotten is in trouble in the past?

And again, I'm not opposed to keeping him, I just don't think I understand your argument.
CatgutStitches
Junior
Posts: 278
And1: 165
Joined: Jun 27, 2015
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1303 » by CatgutStitches » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:51 pm

I don't think anyone is suggesting we "invest more in Monk" IE, give him an extension. We have already made our investment in him, I think Robot is just saying it makes a lot more sense to see what that investment really is before dumping it. The fact is, while he has been far from stellar, he also hasn't really had a chance. I'm sorry but I'd rather give the guy a look during a down season than just dump him for a second rounder or something. If someone came to us with a good deal would I trade him? Of course. But his value is viewed pretty low around the league so it makes more sense to give him a shot and see if he cant recoup some of that value. We have nothing to lose in doing that, its no like him getting 20+ min a game is going to hamper development of some young stud we have on the bench this season.
Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,286
And1: 490
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1304 » by Robot Rock » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:59 am

CatgutStitches wrote:I don't think anyone is suggesting we "invest more in Monk" IE, give him an extension. We have already made our investment in him, I think Robot is just saying it makes a lot more sense to see what that investment really is before dumping it. The fact is, while he has been far from stellar, he also hasn't really had a chance. I'm sorry but I'd rather give the guy a look during a down season than just dump him for a second rounder or something. If someone came to us with a good deal would I trade him? Of course. But his value is viewed pretty low around the league so it makes more sense to give him a shot and see if he cant recoup some of that value. We have nothing to lose in doing that, its no like him getting 20+ min a game is going to hamper development of some young stud we have on the bench this season.


That’s what I’m saying. At least through January. What’s he gonna do? Cost us some wins? LOLOLOL
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,390
And1: 6,857
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1305 » by yosemiteben » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:25 pm

Turning down offers for Monk is a way of investing in him though. That's kinda my point.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 8,745
And1: 1,076
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1306 » by SWedd523 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 pm

This is my biggest reason to doubt Monk, for better or worse. He just doesn't seem to be involved with the other young guys and that makes me question things.

TBF, PJ doesn't really get photoed with the "core" either

Image
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 8,420
And1: 5,551
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1307 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:18 pm

PJ has had barely any time to bond with the other guys. He has an excuse for not hanging out. Monk though? That's a different story, but some people prefer to be alone so it's not necessarily indicative that Monk doesn't care.
Image
User avatar
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy
Posts: 10
And1: 13
Joined: Jul 11, 2019
       

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1308 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:53 am

https://www.nba.com/hornets/video/teams/hornets/2019/08/14/2770735/1565821374179-190814-foodlion-malikdwayne-2770735

Just throwing it out there... Taken straight off the hornets website

I get it, he's not in the gym here with Bacon. But i think its unfair to say that hes not involved with this young core. Especially when Bacon has tweeted about him recently. I don't think Monk is purposely distancing himself from the "core" because hes a loner. If he's not with them in every picture, maybe its because hes really trying to focus and work on his game. Just a thought.
Buzzzz
Junior
Posts: 469
And1: 475
Joined: Jul 02, 2018
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1309 » by Buzzzz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:58 pm

He was with them at Bacs birthday party at some club last night.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,390
And1: 6,857
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1310 » by yosemiteben » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:28 pm

I guess I have an outlier opinion - I don't care at all whether Monk is friends and hangs out with the other young guys. I mean yeah it's fun for them to be buds, but as long as he works hard to improve it doesn't matter too much to me where he does it. I have some co-workers I spend a lot of time with and we get along great but I don't feel obligated to spend a huge chunk of my personal time with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to Charlotte Hornets