ImageImage

We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop

LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,595
And1: 7,140
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1601 » by LofJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 pm

Any guesses on what Monk's next team will be?

I'm thinking the Knicks or the Thunder.
euphorbus
Starter
Posts: 2,165
And1: 611
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1602 » by euphorbus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:14 am

Nice showing by Monk tonight, making his first three shots. He ended up with 10 points on 3-5 shooting, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists in 23 minutes. It was strange seeing Monk as the last line of defense on the transition, and he did a great job, but the rest of the team was leaving shooters wide open at the three-point line. I also thought he would be credited with a steal, but I think that went to Bridges.

Bring in da noise, bring in da Monk!

euphorbus
Starter
Posts: 2,165
And1: 611
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1603 » by euphorbus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:11 am

Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,007
And1: 5,639
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1604 » by Braggins » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm

I didn't realize our defensive efficiency was top 10 and our offense was bottom 10. Yeah, I think its pretty clear Monk needs to be given a shot. He could potentially be just the weapon the 2nd unit needs.

I realized recently that Monk's game is actually fairly similar to Rozier's before he broke out.
euphorbus
Starter
Posts: 2,165
And1: 611
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1605 » by euphorbus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:44 pm

yasuhara2241
Freshman
Posts: 92
And1: 37
Joined: Jul 04, 2015
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1606 » by yasuhara2241 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Monk came into the league with such confidence. Now, after Clifford and Borrego you can just tell he just doesn't believe in his current direction. After he misses a shot, his initial reaction is to look to the bench to see if he's getting taken out.

Yesterdays game was a little different. I thought he started out great on offense which we needed but by the time he got back in the game late in the 3rd he was out of rhythm. BUT unlike times in the past, he remained fully engaged especially on defense. He hasn't played in a long time and seemed to fit in quite well which is encouraging.

The upside to Monk far exceeds that of the Martin twins. And for those who mention defense please also be aware our defense has sucked with the twins playing so what is the difference? Also, the twins overhelp on defense a lot leading to open threes nonstop.
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,007
And1: 5,639
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1607 » by Braggins » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:21 pm

yasuhara2241 wrote:Monk came into the league with such confidence. Now, after Clifford and Borrego you can just tell he just doesn't believe in his current direction. After he misses a shot, his initial reaction is to look to the bench to see if he's getting taken out.

Yesterdays game was a little different. I thought he started out great on offense which we needed but by the time he got back in the game late in the 3rd he was out of rhythm. BUT unlike times in the past, he remained fully engaged especially on defense. He hasn't played in a long time and seemed to fit in quite well which is encouraging.

The upside to Monk far exceeds that of the Martin twins. And for those who mention defense please also be aware our defense has sucked with the twins playing so what is the difference? Also, the twins overhelp on defense a lot leading to open threes nonstop.

I don't know if Id go as far as to say that hes lost his confidence, but I did notice yesterday him looking to the bench a couple times expecting to get taken out after a minor mistake. At one point I think he started to walk back to the bench before realizing that the sub was coming in for someone else.
yasuhara2241
Freshman
Posts: 92
And1: 37
Joined: Jul 04, 2015
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1608 » by yasuhara2241 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 pm

Braggins wrote:
yasuhara2241 wrote:Monk came into the league with such confidence. Now, after Clifford and Borrego you can just tell he just doesn't believe in his current direction. After he misses a shot, his initial reaction is to look to the bench to see if he's getting taken out.

Yesterdays game was a little different. I thought he started out great on offense which we needed but by the time he got back in the game late in the 3rd he was out of rhythm. BUT unlike times in the past, he remained fully engaged especially on defense. He hasn't played in a long time and seemed to fit in quite well which is encouraging.

The upside to Monk far exceeds that of the Martin twins. And for those who mention defense please also be aware our defense has sucked with the twins playing so what is the difference? Also, the twins overhelp on defense a lot leading to open threes nonstop.

I don't know if Id go as far as to say that hes lost his confidence, but I did notice yesterday him looking to the bench a couple times expecting to get taken out after a minor mistake. At one point I think he started to walk back to the bench before realizing that the sub was coming in for someone else.


Now, I don't believe he lost confidence in himself just his direction with the team. I think if he starts getting steady minutes he will also play better but unfortunately he is out after this season if not traded before then and that sucks because I still hold out hope he can be a really good player.
Rays Pompadour
Sophomore
Posts: 154
And1: 102
Joined: Jul 08, 2018
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1609 » by Rays Pompadour » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:54 pm

Malik Monk's the Aqib Talib of the NBA. His plight is entirely self-inflicted.
Rich4114
Head Coach
Posts: 7,444
And1: 1,237
Joined: Mar 11, 2004
Location: PA
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1610 » by Rich4114 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:19 pm

It was going to be an uphill battle for Monk the moment Clifford declared he wanted Mitchell and we took Monk instead. Clifford was right on that one obviously but to put Monk out there out of position and then bench him because of defense while guys like Batum and MKG played meaningful minutes was just plain dumb. He’s had a much better shot under JB but we have really never played him to his strength until last season. GM said he’s maybe the most talented player on the roster. So can we please stop playing the Martin Twins who yes - play with great effort and had a nice run for a month last season - over “maybe our most talented” player?
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,036
And1: 1,169
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1611 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:56 pm

Malik at 5.3 Million is probably the easiest guy on our team to trade.

Think him playing right now, is an attempt to build up his trade value and flip him at the deadline.

Just a reminder that we have 74 Million active cap next summer, add in 9 million in dead money that puts us at 83 million in salary on the books. Projected cap is 112 Million so we have about 30 Million in cap space.

Cap Holds
Zeller 23 Million
Monk 13.3 Million
Biz 6.6 Million
Graham 2 Million

Just based on Cap Holds alone, bringing back Graham over Monk makes a ton of sense. Basically we can spend 27 Million in new money and still pay Graham whatever salary he garners.

Monk only allows us to pay 16 million in new money and still pay him whatever salary he garners. Or if he gets something smaller than 13 Million per year it would open up a bit more, but my point is he is not nearly as valuable.

Zeller and Biz will be renounced and maybe brought back on smaller deals.

Essentially, there is a really good chance we don't resign Malik in the offseason, so we should get value for him now.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,150
And1: 4,558
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1612 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:23 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Essentially, there is a really good chance we don't resign Malik in the offseason, so we should get value for him now.


100% agree on this. No hard feelings towards Monk, he got a bit of a raw deal before he made some boneheaded mistakes off the court, but it's clear that his next chapter is elsewhere. We need to try and extract some value out of a failed lotto pick for once in our existence.
Chapelchilla
Senior
Posts: 679
And1: 334
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1613 » by Chapelchilla » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:11 pm

I agree with y’all, he doesn’t fit here and needs a fresh start. We need to get something out of him so a small trade would be good. A back up tall defensive SG or a younger, running big would be nice. Even a 2022 potentially high second rounder may be worth it.
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,036
And1: 1,169
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1614 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:41 pm

JMAC3 wrote: Projected cap is 112 Million so we have about 30 Million in cap space.



Just to put this into perspective as well, if we had not signed Hayward this summer, we would be rolling into this offseason with close to 70 Million in cap space.

Best Unrestricted Free Agents (age they will be when free agency starts)
Demar Derozan (32)
Kyle Lowry (35)
Mike Conley (33)
Andre Drummond (28)
Victor Oladipo (29)
Otto Porter Jr (28)
Jrue Holiday (31)
Lamarcus Aldridge(36)
Goran Dragic (35)
Tim Hardaway Jr (29)
Dennis Schroeder (28)
Evan Fournier (28)
Kelly Oubre (25)

Hayward turns 31 in March.

I would of been super super nervous giving our Front Office 70 Million to spend all at once when this is the best players available. Especially when you are competing vs 15 other teams with MAX salary spots, we always have to pay a premium to land guys and mixed with competitive offers it could of been really really bad.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,150
And1: 4,558
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1615 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:I agree with y’all, he doesn’t fit here and needs a fresh start. We need to get something out of him so a small trade would be good. A back up tall defensive SG or a younger, running big would be nice. Even a 2022 potentially high second rounder may be worth it.


A high 2nd is basically best-case at least imo. We gave ours away for Willy Hernangomez so recouping that for the price of a player who doesn't seem to be in JB's plans would be good asset management. Of course I'd love to get a 1st or a useful vet but I just don't believe Monk can command that price right now.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,165
And1: 1,658
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1616 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:21 am

JMAC3 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote: Projected cap is 112 Million so we have about 30 Million in cap space.



Just to put this into perspective as well, if we had not signed Hayward this summer, we would be rolling into this offseason with close to 70 Million in cap space.

Best Unrestricted Free Agents (age they will be when free agency starts)
Demar Derozan (32)
Kyle Lowry (35)
Mike Conley (33)
Andre Drummond (28)
Victor Oladipo (29)
Otto Porter Jr (28)
Jrue Holiday (31)
Lamarcus Aldridge(36)
Goran Dragic (35)
Tim Hardaway Jr (29)
Dennis Schroeder (28)
Evan Fournier (28)
Kelly Oubre (25)

Hayward turns 31 in March.

I would of been super super nervous giving our Front Office 70 Million to spend all at once when this is the best players available. Especially when you are competing vs 15 other teams with MAX salary spots, we always have to pay a premium to land guys and mixed with competitive offers it could of been really really bad.

Is there some new CBA rule where you're required to spend every dollar you have every off-season?

Didn't we just see how valuable having cap space can be when Cleveland got Allen and Prince essentially for nothing?
Image
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 46,504
And1: 4,093
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1617 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:41 am

SWedd523 wrote:Didn't we just see how valuable having cap space can be when Cleveland got Allen and Prince essentially for nothing?

It is shocking to me, SHOCKING, how little some posters seem to value fluid, open cap space.

It was never more evident than during the recent preseason.
BBMF'ers
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,165
And1: 1,658
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1618 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:21 am

BigSlam wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Didn't we just see how valuable having cap space can be when Cleveland got Allen and Prince essentially for nothing?

It is shocking to me, SHOCKING, how little some posters seem to value fluid, open cap space.

It was never more evident than during the recent preseason.

Hell, not having enough cap space is exactly what caused the Hornets to make the biggest waive/stretch ever
Image
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,036
And1: 1,169
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1619 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:34 pm

BigSlam wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Didn't we just see how valuable having cap space can be when Cleveland got Allen and Prince essentially for nothing?

It is shocking to me, SHOCKING, how little some posters seem to value fluid, open cap space.

It was never more evident than during the recent preseason.


What made it so evident? I did not see any teams really cash in because they had cap space.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 34,404
And1: 29,936
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1620 » by JDR720 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Didn't we just see how valuable having cap space can be when Cleveland got Allen and Prince essentially for nothing?

It is shocking to me, SHOCKING, how little some posters seem to value fluid, open cap space.

It was never more evident than during the recent preseason.


What made it so evident? I did not see any teams really cash in because they had cap space.

Cashing in doesn't mean you have to use that cap space for a player, you can use it for other reasons too...like not having to stretch bad contracts to get space to sign someone.

Space for facilitating trades and that sort of thing.

Return to Charlotte Hornets