ImageImage

We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1701 » by MugzZo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Malik still has 2 years to be better than tae ever was. He's better then him now. Free Malik Monk!!
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#1702 » by Braggins » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 am

People like to point out that Monk's 3pt shooting isn't sustainable. Obviously, even his biggest supporters on here don't expect him to continue to shoot 45%-50%, but I'm curious what kind of percentage people expect him to finish with this year and also in his peak years (assuming he doesn't wash out)?
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#1703 » by Bassman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45 am

Braggins wrote:People like to point out that Monk's 3pt shooting isn't sustainable. Obviously, even his biggest supporters on here don't expect him to continue to shoot 45%-50%, but I'm curious what kind of percentage people expect him to finish with this year and also in his peak years (assuming he doesn't wash out)?

Malik has been so inconsistent in his brief career, who can know with any certainty what he will accomplish? Having said that, he came back from Covid to generate some very productive minutes. There comes a time where a young player either “clicks”, or remains mediocre. I hope Monk is getting it, and keeping it!
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#1704 » by Snidely FC » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:12 am

the reason expectations were high for Malik from his college days is because his shot was described as picturesque so if anyone is going to sustain high percentage shooting why not the guy with the pretty stroke?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1705 » by BigSlam » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm

His 3pt % shouldn’t be the main indicator of how valuable he is IMO.

He can have 4 games of shooting 2 of 8 from three and hitting 25% but then have one game of shooting 5 of 6 from 3 and then all of a sudden he’s hitting at 35% from 3 - even though he had 4 bad shooting games that might have hurt us.

His value should be based on consistency, defensive effort, good decision making and playing within the team structure without freewheeling.

If you want someone just based on 3pt shooting those guys are a dime a dozen league wide. Heck, get that Utah bench player that lit us up twice this season from 3.
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM

Post#1706 » by Braggins » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 pm

BigSlam wrote:His 3pt % shouldn’t be the main indicator of how valuable he is IMO.

He can have 4 games of shooting 2 of 8 from three and hitting 25% but then have one game of shooting 5 of 6 from 3 and then all of a sudden he’s hitting at 35% from 3 - even though he had 4 bad shooting games that might have hurt us.

His value should be based on consistency, defensive effort, good decision making and playing within the team structure without freewheeling.

If you want someone just based on 3pt shooting those guys are a dime a dozen league wide. Heck, get that Utah bench player that lit us up twice this season from 3.

I asked about 3pt% because people keep saying his shooting isn't sustainable, or isn't real, and one of the main arguments against him has been that he is a bad shooter and I wanted to get a sense of how good of a shooter people saying this actually expect him to be rather than just vaguely alluding to how his 3pt% isn't going to stay around 50% (which is obvious). I agree that 3pt shooting isn't the only thing that determines his value, but its one of the most important skills that will determine how good his career is.

Fwiw, in games where hes played more than a few minutes hes only shot worse than 40% from 3pt three times (out of 14 games).
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#1707 » by SWedd523 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm

Braggins wrote:Fwiw, in games where hes played more than a few minutes hes only shot worse than 40% from 3pt three times (out of 14 games).

So you're saying he gets more PT when he shoots well and less when he doesn't?
Braggins
RealGM

Post#1708 » by Braggins » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:46 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Braggins wrote:Fwiw, in games where hes played more than a few minutes hes only shot worse than 40% from 3pt three times (out of 14 games).

So you're saying he gets more PT when he shoots well and less when he doesn't?

Not at all, I'm just not counting games from early in the season when he wasn't in the rotation and where he played like 1-3 minutes of garbage time. I'm saying that since he was put into the rotation hes shot well from 3pt in almost all of his games. Like, it would be silly in my opinion to say he had a bad shooting game against Dallas earlier in the season when he played 1 minute and shot 0% from 3pt (0-1).

Edit: I mean, he obviously tends to get more minutes when hes shooting well than when he isn't, but that wasn't my point.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#1709 » by Rich4114 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:11 am

Monk has done exactly what we hoped he’d do this season which is just improve his 3pt shot. He’s got a more complete game now and is a major contributor. He could easily start as well but we are guard heavy and you’re not going to bench Terry or Ball right now.

I hope they sign him long term.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#1710 » by Diop » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:21 am

I like Monk and Bridges off the bench, can really give us a boost.

Ideally we improve the centre and starting power forward position and I really like our team.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1711 » by euphorbus » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:35 am

"Monk’s second-quarter showing made him the second bench player in the NBA this season (Immanuel Quickley) and second Charlotte player since 1997 (Ben Gordon, Nov. 2012) to record a 20-point frame in a single game." The drama at the end was almost too much!

https://www.nba.com/hornets/hornets-rally-17-down-escape-phoenix-win
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1712 » by Diop » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s

This is the best quote I’ve read from Monk. Encourages me to resign him.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1713 » by BigSlam » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:58 pm

Diop wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s

Also tells us why has hasn’t had the opportunities some think he should have had under Clifford or JB.

He’s saying it himself - he’s been coasting and his attitude/application has sucked.

Hope this self awareness sticks and he can turn it around on a consistent basis.
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#1714 » by Rich4114 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm

euphorbus wrote:"Monk’s second-quarter showing made him the second bench player in the NBA this season (Immanuel Quickley) and second Charlotte player since 1997 (Ben Gordon, Nov. 2012) to record a 20-point frame in a single game." The drama at the end was almost too much!

I like him and LaMelo on the floor together a lot. I know it won't happen mostly because of Terry, but a LaMelo/Monk starting back court is enticing. Either way, I doubt we see his mins drop after the way he's played since he got a chance.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,407

Post#1715 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
euphorbus wrote:"Monk’s second-quarter showing made him the second bench player in the NBA this season (Immanuel Quickley) and second Charlotte player since 1997 (Ben Gordon, Nov. 2012) to record a 20-point frame in a single game." The drama at the end was almost too much!

I like him and LaMelo on the floor together a lot. I know it won't happen mostly because of Terry, but a LaMelo/Monk starting back court is enticing. Either way, I doubt we see his mins drop after the way he's played since he got a chance.

I like Monk but I think his best role will always be super-sub.

Personally I would love to see us get a normal-sized SG to pair with Melo so we actually have a major size advantage in the backcourt whenever we want it. It's nice that Melo gives us the theoretical flexibility to run two PGs and not get abused but I'd prefer overwhelming the opponent with size. Melo is that super-rare starting PG who can give you the opportunity to run lineups where no one is under 6'6, I would love to see it :nod:

Some of that may just because ever since Kemba, and even more with Graham/Rozier, we've nearly always been at a size disadvantage in the back court.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1716 » by DY_nasty » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Diop wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s

trying not to cry rn bbl
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#1717 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:54 am

Diop wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s

Hopefully he means it and can maintain that professionalism for more than a few weeks or months at a time.

I worry he's just saying what he thinks execs around the league want to be hearing from a player in a contract year.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1718 » by Diop » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 am

Boone put the full quote in his article. Adds more evidence to me that he actually gets it. Play smart and you will get more opportunity.

“I just grew up, man, if I’m being honest,” said Monk, who’s averaging a shade below 12 points per game. “I just grew up and started taking film seriously. I started taking everything seriously. A couple of years ago, last year, year before that I wouldn’t touch the ball for four or five times and I would shoot a bad shot. And that’s when my percentages go down. Now I get to the rim, find somebody, the ball is going to come back to me if I make the right play. Get fouled, get to the line. Just stuff like that. I just grew up. That’s the biggest part.”
And he’s really sure of himself now. In a good way.
“Every game, every chance I get on the court,” Monk said, “I get a bigger (amount of) confidence and bigger chip on my shoulder. So it’s going to take time. It’s still going to take time. So I’ve just got to continue to watch film and do what I do.”
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1719 » by euphorbus » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:11 am

One thing I liked about his performance against Phoenix was the freelancing in or near the lane. He was creating, not just for himself, but looking around to see what might open up. Fans criticize Monk and Graham for their random dribbling, but this was different, and very encouraging.
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1720 » by euphorbus » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 pm

I am hoping Monk gets his second-ever career start tomorrow night. It's about time.

Return to Charlotte Hornets