ImageImage

We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop, BigSlam, JDR720

CuseMayne
Senior
Posts: 626
And1: 552
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1721 » by CuseMayne » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:42 pm

euphorbus wrote:I am hoping Monk gets his second-ever career start tomorrow night. It's about time.


He definitely deserves it but I doubt it happens...JB said in the post-game that Martin started in order to keep the bench intact. That along with the fact that if Monk starts, one of him/Melo/Terry having to match up with Harrison Barnes seems problematic.
euphorbus
Veteran
Posts: 2,766
And1: 1,124
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1722 » by euphorbus » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 pm

CuseMayne wrote:
euphorbus wrote:I am hoping Monk gets his second-ever career start tomorrow night. It's about time.


He definitely deserves it but I doubt it happens...JB said in the post-game that Martin started in order to keep the bench intact. That along with the fact that if Monk starts, one of him/Melo/Terry having to match up with Harrison Barnes seems problematic.


I can see that, but the starters got massacred against Golden State. Longer-term, with Graham out and Hayward ailing, this is a great time to find out how he responds. Even though it's been a long time, I seem to remember that Monk had a good game in his only start a year or two ago.

It's hard to believe that he only made it into the rotation a month ago today. The Hornets are 8-7 in that period, playing against some very good teams, often with a very short bench. They are still in the playoff hunt, despite all the pre-season predictions, largely because LaMelo Ball turned out to be such a fine player, but also because of contributions from virtually everyone on the team.

It would also make sense if management is still considering what to do about Monk's status as a restricted free agent after this season.
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 11,307
And1: 6,073
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1723 » by Braggins » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:18 am

Monk vs. Rozier - per36 stats - shooting splits(attempts per36)

Monk - 20.9/4.8/3.0 - 46.2(15.9)/44.0(8.8)/81.1(3.0)
Rozier - 21.6/4.2/3.3 - 48.7(16.0)/44.8(8.0)/82.0(3.1)

Their offensive production is almost identical on a per minute basis. Ive been thinking all season that when Monk hits 3s hes very similar to Rozier. Rozier is a better defender and is a team leader, so he should start, but Monk has been doing a great job keeping the points coming on the second unit.
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 32,735
And1: 13,677
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: House of Diop
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1724 » by Diop » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:13 pm

he played 31 minutes and was given the ball to win the game.

who cares who starts, he finished the game.
Image
User avatar
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,013
And1: 2,085
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Location: Asheville, NC
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1725 » by Snidely FC » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:21 pm

If he keeps this up he’s going to be in the running for most improved player
User avatar
penquin11
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,509
And1: 115
Joined: Nov 16, 2010
       

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1726 » by penquin11 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm glad we never gave up on this dude. I think at this point he would be a VERY serviceable starter and a terrific 2nd or 3rd scoring option for a playoff bound team.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1727 » by BigSlam » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:49 pm

Braggins wrote:Monk vs. Rozier - per36 stats - shooting splits(attempts per36)

Monk - 20.9/4.8/3.0 - 46.2(15.9)/44.0(8.8)/81.1(3.0)
Rozier - 21.6/4.2/3.3 - 48.7(16.0)/44.8(8.0)/82.0(3.1)

Their offensive production is almost identical on a per minute basis. Ive been thinking all season that when Monk hits 3s hes very similar to Rozier. Rozier is a better defender and is a team leader, so he should start, but Monk has been doing a great job keeping the points coming on the second unit.

Good to see you finally stop comparing him to Tae!!
BBMF'ers
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1728 » by BigSlam » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:51 pm

BigSlam wrote:His 3pt % shouldn’t be the main indicator of how valuable he is IMO.

He can have 4 games of shooting 2 of 8 from three and hitting 25% but then have one game of shooting 5 of 6 from 3 and then all of a sudden he’s hitting at 35% from 3 - even though he had 4 bad shooting games that might have hurt us.

His value should be based on consistency, defensive effort, good decision making and playing within the team structure without freewheeling.

If you want someone just based on 3pt shooting those guys are a dime a dozen league wide. Heck, get that Utah bench player that lit us up twice this season from 3.

Last night is a prime example of why I'm not going to live and die by his 3P% alone.

He went 0-7 last night from 3, but he had a sensational game IMO.
BBMF'ers
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,262
And1: 10,618
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1729 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:14 pm

Who do you feel better about banking on for the future - PJ or Monk?
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1730 » by BigSlam » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:28 pm

BigSlam wrote:
BigSlam wrote:His 3pt % shouldn’t be the main indicator of how valuable he is IMO.

He can have 4 games of shooting 2 of 8 from three and hitting 25% but then have one game of shooting 5 of 6 from 3 and then all of a sudden he’s hitting at 35% from 3 - even though he had 4 bad shooting games that might have hurt us.

His value should be based on consistency, defensive effort, good decision making and playing within the team structure without freewheeling.

If you want someone just based on 3pt shooting those guys are a dime a dozen league wide. Heck, get that Utah bench player that lit us up twice this season from 3.

Last night is a prime example of why I'm not going to live and die by his 3P% alone.

He went 0-7 last night from 3, but he had a sensational game IMO.

More on my point above re: how quickly and easily 3P% can fluctuate if a player is wildly inconsistent.

Prior to last night, over his previous 3 games when he's been on a tear and had consecutive games of 20+ point per his 3P% was 14 of 29 for 48% from 3.

When you add in last nights game for his 4th consecutive game of 20+ points his 3P% is now 14 of 36 for 38% from 3.

A 10% swing after 1 game is wild.
BBMF'ers
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 39,146
And1: 8,403
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1731 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:31 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Who do you feel better about banking on for the future - PJ or Monk?

Out of our three late lotto picks from the Kemba years, I'm still on the Malik wagon. He's been doing what he does to just about everyone in the league this year. Until last night when he could take advantage of Marvin Bagley and the Kings' horrendous team defense, PJ has been largely the same player as last year.
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1732 » by BigSlam » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:34 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Who do you feel better about banking on for the future - PJ or Monk?

Tough to answer when Monk has had 3 1/2 season and has only started producing over the past month Vs PJ who has only had 1 1/2 seasons so far.
BBMF'ers
bravor
Starter
Posts: 2,021
And1: 492
Joined: Dec 30, 2015
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1733 » by bravor » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:44 pm

Why chosing between the two ? Imo the choice is between Miles and PJ, and for contract, upside, potential, the choice has to be PJ. Even if he is less spectacular.

Monk should get a team friendly extension (hopefully his agent will allow). He is a nba player unlike some players in this roster.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,262
And1: 10,618
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1734 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:22 pm

Yeah, it's not really either / or, was just curious what the crowd consensus would be if folks had to pick one. I'm not sold that this is really who Monk is, but he and PJ are comparable in age and while Monk has been in the league longer I wouldn't say his development has been prioritized (and I think he had more mental / game approach stuff to work through).

I was extremely low on PJ leading up to last night, he's been super frustrating lately and this season generally. While I don't want to be reactionary, that was an incredibly impressive performance last night.

Really hope these guys can pull it together and build some sort of consistency.
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1735 » by DY_nasty » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:34 pm

you look at how monk played his rookie year compared to now and its remarkable improvements across the board. i vividly remember when this dude was getting ripped repeatedly just trying to get the ball across the halfcourt line. now he's finishing through contact and playing offball. the 3pt shooting is good, yeah, but he's doing way more than just continuing a hot streak...

meanwhile pj has generally stagnated or outright regressed. im glad he had a big game but he's gotta do more than one big game a season lol
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 35,040
And1: 11,239
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1736 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:37 pm

I still find it worrisome how a player coming into his 2nd year can come into the season grossly out of shape like PJ did.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1737 » by DY_nasty » Mon Mar 1, 2021 11:02 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I still find it worrisome how a player coming into his 2nd year can come into the season grossly out of shape like PJ did.

i mean.... global plague - i can kinda give a pass there. nobody really can plan for that and everyone's situation is different.

its the complete lack of assertiveness that bothers me more than anything. i'd rather have guys on the court that are doing stupid stuff than doing nothing. you can fix stupid. you can't fix lack of initiative. no one ever has to worry about monk coming to get the ball. most nights pj refuses to believe he's even open or has an opportunity to cut.

and an undersized big that won't cut or seal off a mismatch in today's NBA? :banghead:
euphorbus
Veteran
Posts: 2,766
And1: 1,124
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1738 » by euphorbus » Mon Mar 1, 2021 11:12 pm

I'm still hoping Malik will get the start tonight. But he played 31 minutes on the first night of a back-to-back, Miles played 32, LaMelo 38, and PJ 41. So I have no idea how the minutes will be distributed against Portland. On the other hand, Bismack and Jalen both started and helped spot Sacramento to a big lead, the second straight game that has happened. Get your best players on the court and heating up at the tip-off, coach!

At this point, there is no question Monk is one of your best players.
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1739 » by BigSlam » Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:01 am

DY_nasty wrote:you look at how monk played his rookie year compared to now and its remarkable improvements across the board. i vividly remember when this dude was getting ripped repeatedly just trying to get the ball across the halfcourt line. now he's finishing through contact and playing offball. the 3pt shooting is good, yeah, but he's doing way more than just continuing a hot streak...

These past few games he's been playing at a different speed than he had been in previous seasons. It's been the most refreshing change IMO. For all his career up to this point he would just play blindly, red lining in 6th gear all night and always pushing to try and make something happen, which would often just result in chaos and a hot mess.

He really seems to be picking his spots lately and reading what the defense is giving him so much better. A couple of those drives lately using hesitation moves and speed ups/downs and really waiting for the D to open up before he probes it has been a welcome change.

Hope he can keep it up. He needs to not get ahead of himself and just keep doing what he's been doing.
BBMF'ers
GoBobs
Veteran
Posts: 2,902
And1: 762
Joined: Jul 13, 2009

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1740 » by GoBobs » Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:24 am

yosemiteben wrote:Who do you feel better about banking on for the future - PJ or Monk?


PJ because I get to watch him for a few more years on a cheap contract before I have to make any choice about how much to pay. Also, I’m less worried about what he might be doing off the court.

Right now though I am hoping we can give all these young guys somewhere in the 10-15 range on a four year deal and keep all of Monk, Miles, PJ.

Return to Charlotte Hornets