ImageImage

We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,674

Re: We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#2021 » by KembaWalker » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:04 pm

if you couldnt learn how to be a pro from Kemba or even Marvin Williams its definitely you thats the problem
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#2022 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:05 pm

I could get him saying charlotte wasn't sure good fit or this and that but that learning how to be a pro pisses me off. Been hearing that for 4 years. Dude must need someone to hold his hand to the gym then back home or something.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#2023 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:12 pm

All throughout Monk's time here just about all of our other players worked out together on team facilities. Even Zeller was photographed a fair bit with the younger guys. Monk however was almost never there with the other guys. I never commented about it because I know some guys prefer to workout alone.

But I seriously doubt he was putting in the same amount of dedication. Hell, even LaMelo who has the resources and connections to workout wherever he wants was in Charlotte this summer bonding with teammates. And once again Monk was MIA.

Showing up is half the battle, if you can't even do that you aren't going to find success.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#2024 » by KembaWalker » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:13 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I could get him saying charlotte wasn't sure good fit or this and that but that learning how to be a pro pisses me off. Been hearing that for 4 years. Dude must need someone to hold his hand to the gym then back home or something.

team: hey malik we want you to play summer league to hone your skills and show what you can do as a focal point with the ball in your hands

malik: no

team: ok?

3 months later hes whining about riding the bench again or hell that might have been right before his cocaine suspension i cant even remember

dudes the epitome of a loser
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#2025 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:15 pm

LofJ wrote:All throughout Monk's time here just about all of our other players worked out together on team facilities. Even Zeller was photographed a a fair bit with the younger guys. Monk was almost never there with the other guys.

I never commented about it because I know some guys prefer to workout alone. But I seriously doubt he was putting in the same amount of dedication, the results speak for themselves. Hell, even LaMelo who has the resources and connections to workout wherever he wants was in Charlotte this summer bonding with teammates. And once again Monk was MIA.

And Graham (who probably knew he was on the way out) was in Charlotte working out all summer. Monk is a piece of work.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#2026 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:17 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:I could get him saying charlotte wasn't sure good fit or this and that but that learning how to be a pro pisses me off. Been hearing that for 4 years. Dude must need someone to hold his hand to the gym then back home or something.

team: hey malik we want you to play summer league to hone your skills and show what you can do as a focal point with the ball in your hands

3 months later hes whining about riding the bench again or hell that might have been right before his cocaine suspension i cant even remember

I've also read where he had an actual drug problem (wasn't just a one off thing oops got caught) and the Hornets got him back on track instead of him ending up like an OJ Mayo.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#2027 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:26 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

I've also read where he had an actual drug problem (wasn't just a one off thing oops got caught) and the Hornets got him back on track instead of him ending up like an OJ Mayo.

Monk is lucky he was drafted by us instead of the Knicks (which is who he wanted to draft him). If he had been in NY instead of Charlotte I'd be willing to bet he'd already be out of the league.

This is his last opportunity with the Lakers, if he screws this up it's over. I hope for his sake he makes the most of it, but GTFO with throwing the Hornets under the bus. He should be better than that.

Last time I'm going to comment about Monk, time to move on and focus on our new guys like Kai that are excited as hell to play for the Hornets.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Re: We 

Post#2028 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:30 pm

BigSlam wrote:How can you expect him to learn how to be a professional when he can’t even learn you should always iron a shirt before wearing it for the first time.

Read on Twitter

Nice crease lines…….idiot.

Snorty always came across as having a single digit IQ.

Great talent that lacked heart and brains.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#2029 » by Chapelchilla » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:11 am

This type of stuff is exhibit A of why I have been saying we should not worry about resigning him-
he was not the kind of person you pay a lot of money too all. He is just not professional in his conduct.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#2030 » by Roll Tide 09 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:26 am

I believe Monk will be a solid 12-17 points off the bench for the Lakers…assuming he doesn’t actually start…which is possible.

Seeing the Lakers roster, he will also be around not only professional veterans, but also legends…and they’ll probably straighten him out enough to become his potential.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,618

Post#2031 » by fatlever » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:24 am

As if I needed another reason to hate the Lakers
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Re: We 

Post#2032 » by UNCNYC » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:14 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
BigSlam wrote:How can you expect him to learn how to be a professional when he can’t even learn you should always iron a shirt before wearing it for the first time.

Read on Twitter

Nice crease lines…….idiot.

Snorty always came across as having a single digit IQ.

Great talent that lacked heart and brains.

He looks like a business man here. He looks like he is ready to take Lebrons frien Rich Paul's place while he is busy dating Adelle.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#2033 » by BigSlam » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:23 pm

fatlever wrote:As if I needed another reason to hate the Lakers

Or Monk..
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#2034 » by Rich4114 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:37 pm

I really don’t get the Monk hate. He essentially said the same thing but in a nicer way that Kemba said when we left. Monks situation here (yes some to his own doing) was never good starting from before he was drafted and our front office argued between him and Mitchell. Mitchell becoming a superstar just made that even worse.

Dude wants to play and wants to win. He couldn’t do either in Charlotte and he had a way shorter leash than other less capable players. We can be mad he left and is speaking positively about the Lakers, but don’t be surprised if he earns himself a big pay day after this next season.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#2035 » by yosemiteben » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:40 pm

I'm far from a Monk fanboy, but damn y'all are being harsh.
wizardg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Malik Monk. What’s wrong with him. 

Post#2036 » by wizardg » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:51 pm

I remember him at Kentucky and then lost track of him. When I look at his highlights he’s
1. Waaaay More athletic than I remembered
2. A little shorter than I remembered. In the NB he seems like a 2 guard trapped in a PH’s body.
3. He’s still got a killer jumper. And goes the the hole sweet and hard.

Why did the Hornets let him walk????
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,105

Re: Malik Monk. What’s wrong with him. 

Post#2037 » by JDR720 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:00 pm

He's an idiot.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#2038 » by KembaWalker » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:57 pm

stupid, trash attitude, lazy, entitled, unreliable

harder to come up with something right about him.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#2039 » by Snidely FC » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:15 pm

there is stuff in here https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33513262/why-malik-monk-too-good-los-angeles-lakers that shines a negative light on Monk's usage under both Clifford and Borrego, but his own words prove most damning:
"I didn't put that much effort in Charlotte," he says, "because I was getting mixed signals from everybody and I'm like, 'Oh, they really don't want me here so I'm just going to shoot the ball and give 50 percent on defense.' "
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#2040 » by KembaWalker » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:24 pm

that article sums up everything i ever thought about him
what an idiot

Return to Charlotte Hornets