We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#941 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 pm

and it will never be close if he doesn't incorporate the ft line into his offense
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#942 » by Robot Rock » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 pm

fatlever wrote:and it will never be close if he doesn't incorporate the ft line into his offense

Were you this critical of MKG, Kemba or Cody at the conclusion of their rookie years? I don't recall it being the case at least.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#943 » by Robot Rock » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 pm

How is Monk not already a top-five scorer on the team? The only thing holding him back from that THIS year was Clifford's refusal to play him. You're crazy if you don't think his April numbers could've been his February numbers.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#944 » by yosemiteben » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
fatlever wrote:and it will never be close if he doesn't incorporate the ft line into his offense

Were you this critical of MKG, Kemba or Cody at the conclusion of their rookie years? I don't recall it being the case at least.

People never said those guys would be top 5 at anything though.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#945 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Robot Rock wrote:

they were never as bad as monk as a rookie... but yes, i was very critical of kemba early. mkg had a strong rookie year, but i've been very critical of mkg since start of 2016. i never high high hopes for cody, to be more than hustle guy, even though I was happy with that pick.

the part about top 5 on the team was obviously a joke, equal to the joke of suggesting monk will be top 5 offensive player one day.

i understand monk = hope, but i don't understand the blind optimism most of this board seems to have for monk. i've seen this same behavior w/ every rookie we've had going back to felton. just glad stun wasnt around to start a pro-monk thread on the gb in april.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#946 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Robot Rock wrote:How is Monk not already a top-five scorer on the team? The only thing holding him back from that THIS year was Clifford's refusal to play him. You're crazy if you don't think his April numbers could've been his February numbers.

FYI, monk had 2nd worst o-rtg over last 13 games, atfer mcw injury, when he was getting steady pt. 10th in efg% over same time. so yeah, april #s not really that good, just not league bottom, like they were 1st half of season.

http://stats.nba.com/team/1610612766/players-advanced/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=03%2F06%2F2018&DateTo=04%2F30%2F2018&sort=OFF_RATING&dir=1
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#947 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 pm

...but he did have time high usage, so he's got that going for him.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#948 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:19 pm

in a nutshell, this board has a long history (me included, Felton/Ammo/Herrmann) of grossly overrating our own rookies based on a few scoring outbursts, which in Monk's case were vs tanking teams in April or teams resting starters. will take much more before i am sold on him as a player. currently his holes are too large for me to overlook. april did show promise though, esp in pnr.

pros: 3pt shot, passing (esp to bigs, much better than kemba at same age), athleticism, confidence, age
cons: feel for game, shot selection, defense, size, no true pos, lack of fta, lack of team success while on floor, confidence (pro and con)
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#949 » by Joest2003 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Monk is the most talented player this team has right now aside from Walker period. Love how the mods are all talking down on him just like they did Walker. All while praising MKG and Zeller lol gotta love the mods. History will repeat itself.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#950 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Joest2003 wrote:Monk is the most talented player this team has right now aside from Walker period. Love how the mods are all talking down on him just like they did Walker. All while praising MKG and Zeller lol gotta love the mods. History will repeat itself.

who is praising mkg last 2 years?

kemba deserved criticism early, just as he has earned praise last several years. kemba does not equal monk, good or bad. not sure why that conversation is relevant.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#951 » by BlackOutBuzz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 pm

I get the desire to temper expectations but after the season I just watched let me have my blind optimism dammit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#952 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:43 pm

fatlever wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Monk will become a top-5 scorer eventually.

on the team?

under 24, sorted by ppg
http://bkref.com/tiny/iQ0ql

not to mention all the top 5 guys hitting the league in next few years. lets not put unreasonable expectations on monk.

Small samples prove neither a bullish nor bearish outlook. At this early point in his career, forecasts are based more on eye test and instinct. I believe in him. I'm not pretending to have secret formulas or insider data that predicts with reliability and validity. There is nothing at all scientific about my belief in Monk and I'm 100% going with observation. BTW, Booker averaged 25 per game this season. That put him 8th in scoring. He shot .343 from 3 his rookie year with consistent minutes. Monk shot .342. with most of his minutes coming from PG, a position he last played as a 17 year old vs. high school competition. Monk is every bit the range shooter as Booker, has a quicker trigger, better handles, and better passer and superior athlete.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#953 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:45 pm

And as JR Smith said of Monk, "He going to be a problem". This man has played most of his minutes the past what 3 seasons with LeBron?
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#954 » by yosemiteben » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 pm

fatlever wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:Monk is the most talented player this team has right now aside from Walker period. Love how the mods are all talking down on him just like they did Walker. All while praising MKG and Zeller lol gotta love the mods. History will repeat itself.

kemba deserved criticism early, just as he has earned praise last several years. kemba does not equal monk, good or bad. not sure why that conversation is relevant.

It's not, it was just a stupid take.

"I'm not sold on him" isn't exactly scathing criticism.
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#955 » by Joest2003 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:21 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
fatlever wrote:

Ya because that's all people have been saying is that their not sold on him right? I literally seen people saying that he was one of the worst players in the league this season. Which is beyond pathetic. He is 19 years old and didn't even play consistent minutes to get onto any type of rhythm or adapt to the speed of the NBA.

Monk is the first draft pick since Kemba that actually has a chance of making a difference in this franchise. We should be thankful to have him here instead of bashing him in his rookie season when he was still a teenager. Walker wasn't even a stand out player in the NCAA when he was 19.

Starting to think we as a fan base don't even deserve any real talent here. All we do is bash them until they finally become what we consider acceptable. Not realizing that there is actually a process to developing players.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#956 » by BeesWax » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
fatlever wrote:

Ya because that's all people have been saying is that their not sold on him right? I literally seen people saying that he was one of the worst players in the league this season. Which is beyond pathetic. He is 19 years old and didn't even play consistent minutes to get onto any type of rhythm or adapt to the speed of the NBA.

Monk is the first draft pick since Kemba that actually has a chance of making a difference in this franchise. We should be thankful to have him here instead of bashing him in his rookie season when he was still a teenager. Walker wasn't even a stand out player in the NCAA when he was 19.

Starting to think we as a fan base don't even deserve any real talent here. All we do is bash them until they finally become what we consider acceptable. Not realizing that there is actually a process to developing players.

In a lot of the people who do thats defense we haven't been know for developing players very well so often what you draft have been pretty close to what you got in the end.
Spoiler:
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#957 » by Joest2003 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:21 pm

fatlever wrote:who is praising mkg last 2 years?

Why was he ever praised?
I remember few years ago everyone saying how MKG was the future star of the team and we need trade Walker. He has never been above average at anything ever. "Oh ya he's such a great defensive player" is that why Melo and lebron both have career highs off him and we constantly have losing seasons besides the one he was injuried.

Now the same thing is happening with Monk and I just find it laughable expecially considering his age. We constantly bash the players who actually have potential to make a difference but coddle guys like MKG Frank Marvin who make close to impact on the game. Probably have a negative impact if anything to be honest. Some of your guys evaluation skills are atrocious. You guys can keep waiting for MKG and Frank to break out.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#958 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Joest2003 wrote:Ya because that's all people have been saying is that their not sold on him right? I literally seen people saying that he was one of the worst players in the league this season. Which is beyond pathetic. He is 19 years old and didn't even play consistent minutes to get onto any type of rhythm or adapt to the speed of the NBA.

He was one of the worst players in the league this season. That was to be expected for the reasons you mentioned and for others you didn't (injured in the offseason, new position, poor rotational fit, etc.).

Joest2003 wrote:Monk is the first draft pick since Kemba that actually has a chance of making a difference in this franchise. We should be thankful to have him here instead of bashing him in his rookie season when he was still a teenager. Walker wasn't even a stand out player in the NCAA when he was 19.

Ok?

Joest2003 wrote:Starting to think we as a fan base don't even deserve any real talent here. All we do is bash them until they finally become what we consider acceptable. Not realizing that there is actually a process to developing players.

Except for MKG and Zeller right? You already accused us of supporting those guys - kind of a weird criticism given that you are also criticizing us of not supporting rookies I guess?

Monk had a near worst of all time type season this year. Like I've said a bunch of times, I think that was to be expected given his specific situation, but I also don't have a problem with people analyzing his play and coming away concerned.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#959 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Joest2003 wrote:

Why was he ever praised?

For the same reason you want us to praise Monk?
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#960 » by Joest2003 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:

Why was he ever praised?

For the same reason you want us to praise Monk?

Monk doesn't shoot like not funny
And for the record I don't want you to praise anyone idc what you do. You have a picture of our worst rotation player with hearts around it as your profile picture your opinion means nothing to me.

Return to Charlotte Hornets