Re: Welcome To Charlotte: The Dwayne Bacon Thread 

Post#181 » by -Ian- » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:31 am

Read on Twitter
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#182 » by 316Hornets » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Bacon is looking a lot bigger. Him and Rozier are a pretty good pairing for size and defense.

The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#183 » by euphorbus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:44 pm

316Hornets wrote:Bacon is looking a lot bigger. He and Rozier are a pretty good pairing for size and defense.

His form needs work. Bacon needs to keep his feet together on the jump shot and generate more lift at the start of the shot.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#184 » by DY_nasty » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 pm

what lol
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#185 » by Snidely FC » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:22 pm

Bacon pressing? I mean how else do you explain the dramatic drop in his shooting splits? 32% fg 25% from 3? Seemed pretty comfortable on the floor last spring. Maybe its time to send him to the bench get him to stop forcing things so much.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,632

Post#186 » by Diop » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm tempted to trade him, but I often jump the gun and want to trade everyone
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#187 » by DY_nasty » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:31 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Bacon pressing? I mean how else do you explain the dramatic drop in his shooting splits? 32% fg 25% from 3? Seemed pretty comfortable on the floor last spring. Maybe its time to send him to the bench get him to stop forcing things so much.

I'm not particularly upset at it. This is the time for everyone on the roster to be forcing things. We're a bad team and the season is basically an open tryout for everyone.

Part of me feels that Bacon isn't quite explosive enough for this type of playstyle and that he should look to play off ball and CUT to get his looks instead of driving into the teeth of the defense... but another part wants to see him piece this approach together. What he's doing isn't easy and even some of the best scorers in the league took hits trying to play this way for a long, long time as well.

No matter which direction he ends up going, its safe to say that he's learning. I sort of see him ending up as a Jonathan Simmons type of player, but he's in charge of his own future more than most of the guys on the team.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,272

Post#188 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:30 pm

I'm willing to give all these young guys some time before I give up on any of them, but I was a lot higher on Bacon after Summer League than I am now. Hopefully he's just having a rough patch to start the season because he was a better player in April. He was still prone to tunnel vision back then but the team was rewarded more often.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,133

Post#189 » by Rich4114 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:47 pm

I’m really souring on Bacon. He’s playing and acting like he’s a much better player. There are some major issues in his game. While he has a great NBA body and can absorb contact, he doesn’t seem to have much of a vertical. He’s poor at finishing at the rim considering his size and passing the ball is a second or third option to him. That’s the part that’s most annoying for me. His shooting % would be much better if he was willing to wait for better shots and move the ball around. Like it was said above, cut to the basket and let one of the distributors find him. He should not be going hero ball because he’s not very good at it.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#190 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 2, 2019 5:11 pm

Rich4114 wrote:I’m really souring on Bacon. He’s playing and acting like he’s a much better player. There are some major issues in his game. While he has a great NBA body and can absorb contact, he doesn’t seem to have much of a vertical. He’s poor at finishing at the rim considering his size and passing the ball is a second or third option to him. That’s the part that’s most annoying for me. His shooting % would be much better if he was willing to wait for better shots and move the ball around. Like it was said above, cut to the basket and let one of the distributors find him. He should not be going hero ball because he’s not very good at it.

I think one of the biggest problems I have with Bacon is that I don't know what's an "easy bucket" for him. That's the biggest indicator for an offensive player who's going to last in the league imo...

PJ has basically just showed up - and he already knows where his bread and butter is. He floats to the open corner, dives hard, seals early, rebounds.

I don't know what Bacon was good at past high school, and I certainly don't know what he even thinks he's good at now.... Its crazy to watch some times because he just doesn't see the entirety of what he should be doing in the role he's trying to assume.

Look at the positions he attacks from? Almost always straight line to the basket relying on his strength and first step - which are both above average at the position imo. Problems compound quickly though. His angles are poor, no one will ever close out on him hard or bite on shooting ability, and he generally doesn't identify mismatches or attach them properly. Its telling that he's made up his mind that he's going to play this way and now he's trying to mentally catch up with the all the work he's put in physically. The spots he's chosen to work from aren't even that advantageous for him either. A guy like him should be attacking on the baseline if anything.

But it is something to be watching closely... its a long season and I'm sure others have noticed this as well. He's been on this path ever since being called up.

*which isn't bad to me, now is the time to figure it out*

I'm not really up to trade anyone yet other than Willie. He's just unplayable and builds bad habits for everyone he's next to.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,194

Post#191 » by amcoolio » Sat Nov 2, 2019 7:17 pm

I wish he would stick to 3 and D first then add the rest to his game. But this is a learning year for everyone, might as well improve his ball handling while he can.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#192 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:29 am

DY_nasty wrote:I don't know what Bacon was good at past high school, and I certainly don't know what he even thinks he's good at now.

I think it was creating his own shot (not in a way that demonstrates a big bag of tricks though - just forcing his way to the basket like he does now) and getting to the line.

DY_nasty wrote:Its crazy to watch some times because he just doesn't see the entirety of what he should be doing in the role he's trying to assume.

I think he should be used as an escape valve. Set up, run and try to execute offensive plays. If they breakdown and the clock is at 10 seconds or less get the ball to him at the top of the arc and give him free reign to do whatever.

He’s going to do the same thing with 24 seconds left on the clock or 7 seconds left on the clock.

I’d just rather him be the last resort than the 1st option most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 9,952

Post#193 » by KembaWalker » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:08 pm

I like his mid range game so much more than his adventures to the basket
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#194 » by DY_nasty » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:14 pm

This kinda highlights what's good and bad about Bacon's scoring. When the defense is scrambling, he's always in the right mindset to attack it.

I'm not sure any of that works against better talent though. His midrange game is fundamentally solid, but if he gets knocked off his spots a bit he's not adapting. He's got great body control but he's not finishing above the rim.

I love how well he played and how his game isn't really dependent on the 3 falling as well. I want to see him drive for the pass a bit more because if he does, the entire team will benefit on poor shooting nights like this (especially Miles who is incredibly streaky).

Great game and looking forward to more.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#195 » by UNCNYC » Mon Nov 4, 2019 7:22 pm

We can call the thread

The Duane "Duece Lux" Bacon Thread - Duece stands for 2nd round pick. It also sounds like Deluxe.

or

The Duane "Dues Luck" Bacon Thread - The "due" in Dues luck is like he paid his Dues as well as short for duece (second round pick)
Kinda like he beat the odds and because of his hard work and a bit of "luck" he became a starter.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#196 » by 316Hornets » Mon Nov 4, 2019 7:35 pm

Bacon has struggled pretty badly to start this season. He just isn't able to score against starters like he did against bench players. The attacking ability is great, but if you can't pull up and knock down a 3, then he will be easy to defend. I'm not too impressed with his defense thus far either.

It's expected for him to struggle in the starting role to open the season. The question will be whether he can improve. If he starts knocking down the 3s, I'll have a much better outlook.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#197 » by DY_nasty » Mon Nov 4, 2019 9:15 pm

316Hornets wrote:Bacon has struggled pretty badly to start this season. He just isn't able to score against starters like he did against bench players. The attacking ability is great, but if you can't pull up and knock down a 3, then he will be easy to defend. I'm not too impressed with his defense thus far either.

It's expected for him to struggle in the starting role to open the season. The question will be whether he can improve. If he starts knocking down the 3s, I'll have a much better outlook.

I'd rather a young guy be streaky than functionally or fundamentally broken (or worse, without realizing it).

Bacon's shot is gonna come and go, but if he has a game that isn't predicated entirely on it falling - he'll be okay. That kind of adaptation is how Terrence Ross managed to stay in the league.

...And besides, if the whole team is gonna race to put up as many 3s as possible, then he'll be in a perfect role by circumstance. Hell, I remember everyone on this board going crazy because we had none of the shooting to give pre-derelictshellofaman MKG and younger Kemba the space needed to be successful. If either of those players had the benefit of our team's shooting, or even the willingness to shoot, they'd have greatly benefited. I'm okay with Bacon being the odd man out while Miles continues to figure out his comfort zones on the court.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#198 » by euphorbus » Mon Nov 4, 2019 9:52 pm

DY_nasty wrote:I'd rather a young guy be streaky than functionally or fundamentally broken (or worse, without realizing it).

I was thinking about this after the last game. In baseball, teams will often sign or trade for a player who will be used as a designated hitter or substitute hitter, even though overall, the guy may be over the hill. They do this because the managers know that during a long season, just a half-dozen game-winning hits can be the difference between making the playoffs or going home.

Bacon looks streaky, and perhaps will not be starting too much longer, but when he is hot, the Hornets have a coach who knows how to ride the hot hand. If Bacon and Cody Martin can make those dozen game-winning plays, that's plenty of reason to have them in the rotation.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,543

Post#199 » by fatlever » Wed Nov 6, 2019 7:05 am

martin gonna steal his minutes
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#200 » by Snidely FC » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:19 pm

fatlever wrote:martin gonna steal his minutes

I hope so

Bacon's 90s style straight line drive game worked against GS with its porous interior but on most nights not gonna be a good fit alongside Miles and PJ, who we need to groom as our stars

Would much prefer to see Bacon come off the bench as scoring catalyst than clog up the starting five with his tunnel vision

Return to Charlotte Hornets