Preseason Game 3: Charlotte @ Miami 10/9/17 7:30 PM est

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Re: Preseason Game 3: Charlotte @ Miami 10/9/17 7:30 PM est  

Post#81 » by yosemiteben » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:52 pm

It's obviously early but big picture Frank is my number one concern this season. I don't deny his impact from an advanced stats perspective, but he needs to look like an NBA basketball player and so far he's looked lost on both ends. These half assed dives to the rim that don't drop have to get fixed.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#82 » by LofJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm

After watching the offensive highlights of the game the one thing that stood out the most to me is Cody's pick setting. He's so freaking good at it, his timing and the angles he takes are textbook. He creates so much space for ball-handlers to operate in.

If he ever starts hitting from deep he'll be an all-star level player in my opinion.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#83 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 pm

yosemiteben wrote:It's obviously early but big picture Frank is my number one concern this season. I don't deny his impact from an advanced stats perspective, but he needs to look like an NBA basketball player and so far he's looked lost on both ends. These half assed dives to the rim that don't drop have to get fixed.

LOL, I basically just said the same thing in the kaminsky thread... he looked awful last night
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#84 » by Braggins » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 pm

fatlever wrote:Monk and bacon have some terrible shot selections between the two of them. Both are way too happy to settle for the first shot they can take neither seems interested at all and getting into the paint and trying to get to the free-throw line that's a problem that hopefully gets fixed by next season

You need to use a trigger warning for posts like this about Monk. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, where he can do no wrong, and this greatly offends me. I was so upset I almost reported you. :D
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#85 » by fatlever » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm

there were times last night where it felt like whoever touched the ball first between Bacon or Monk was the one who shot, no matter anyone else.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#86 » by Bassman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:49 pm

fatlever wrote:there were times last night where it felt like whoever touched the ball first between Bacon or Monk was the one who shot, no matter anyone else.

Agree, they went at it quickly and, in some case, poorly relative to situational defense. Still, I like the fact that both players are being aggressive, fearless and assertive. Clearly they both see an opening for playing time and want to impress.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#87 » by Mystical Apples » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Clifford will need to separate symptoms from root causes. At this point CHA is neither creating 3PA or drawing contact which is the worst possible struggling to create which is concerning for a team that relies so heavily on halfcourt offense. This mix hurts defensive efficiency, too.

geometry
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#88 » by Braggins » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 pm

I kind of bashed Frank a little recently, but I'm on the start Frank bandwagon due to Batum being out. It sucks to lose the Frank/Cody combo on the bench, but I think we need Franks passing so desperately on the first unit and it isn't like Marv/Cody isn't a great 2nd unit front court. I think it is necessary for Kemba and probably even Howard to play with Frank.

Once Lamb is back I'd start Kemba/Lamb/MKG/Frank/Howard. When Graham returns I'd consider swapping him out for Lamb (if hes still struggling to hit 3s and our offense is still stagnant).
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#89 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:Clifford will need to separate symptoms from root causes (and fast). At this point CHA is neither creating 3PA or drawing contact which is the worst possible combination for a team that relies so heavily on halfcourt offense.

This mix hurts defensive efficiency, too.

That is impressively bad.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Re: RE: Re: Preseason Game 3: Charlotte @ Miami 10/9/17 7:30 PM est 

Post#90 » by yosemiteben » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 am

Mystical Apples wrote:Clifford will need to separate symptoms from root causes (and fast). At this point CHA is neither creating 3PA or drawing contact which is the worst possible combination for a team that relies so heavily on halfcourt offense.

This mix hurts defensive efficiency, too.

Surely a big part of that is funneling minutes to Bacon and JOB, who are both in love with midrange jumpers and apparently have the green light to shoot them.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by Mystical Apples » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:00 am

Yikes. Should've waited for editorial proof. In my haste pace adjustments somehow skewed team stats. 3PA and PFD were corrected above to reflect CHA's not awful but decidedly mediocre performance in those areas. That said, lack of transition requires an above average halfcourt shot distribution compared to most teams, including 3PA and TOV, to be average on offense.

As for 3PA, the Hornets 27.2 per 100 (19th) is lower than the previous 2 regulars seasons.
geometry
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by Mystical Apples » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:10 am

yosemiteben wrote:Surely a big part of that is funneling minutes to Bacon and JOB, who are both in love with midrange jumpers and apparently have the green light to shoot them.

Not sure that's necessarily unique to Charlotte though. Plenty of teams are giving back benchers minutes, if not outright resting starters.

Maybe if only 1 or 2 players were impacted - or there weren't other issues like stagnated movement - but through 3 games all of Charlotte's rotation players are below last season's 3PA/100 while the league continues inching higher. Kemba (-2.4), Nic (-1.9), Marvin (-1.5), Frank (-1.5), and Lamb (-.8).
geometry
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#93 » by Bassman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:16 am

Mystical Apples wrote:Yikes. Should've waited for editorial proof. In my haste pace adjustments somehow skewed team stats. 3PA and PFD were corrected above to reflect CHA's not awful but decidedly mediocre performance in those areas. That said, lack of transition requires an above average halfcourt shot distribution compared to most teams, including 3PA and TOV, to be average on offense.

As for 3PA, the Hornets 27.2 per 100 (19th) is lower than the previous 2 regulars seasons.

For these reasons and others I would start Monk with Kemba, see if MKG can contribute as our glue guy, and find a 4 to pair with Dwight. Marvin or Frank? Ugh. Marvin is just getting old and needs to come off the bench, but Frank just can't step up and perform at the next level (yet). Monk and Kemba would make a dynamic backcourt although Malik has to get disciplined with his defense.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by Mystical Apples » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 am

Bassman wrote:
Mystical Apples wrote:Yikes. Should've waited for editorial proof. In my haste pace adjustments somehow skewed team stats. 3PA and PFD were corrected above to reflect CHA's not awful but decidedly mediocre performance in those areas. That said, lack of transition requires an above average halfcourt shot distribution compared to most teams, including 3PA and TOV, to be average on offense.

For these reasons and others I would start Monk with Kemba, see if MKG can contribute as our glue guy, and find a 4 to pair with Dwight. Marvin or Frank? Ugh. Marvin is just getting old and needs to come off the bench, but Frank just can't step up and perform at the next level (yet). Monk and Kemba would make a dynamic backcourt although Malik has to get disciplined with his defense.

It's difficult wrapping my head around the notion that a 19-year-old scorer is the solution for execution concerns. Which isn't a knock on Monk...he's obviously encouraging...it's just that preaseason games tend to reward exactly what doesn't work by game 20 (and vice versa).

If Clifford doesn't see a better stopgap then he should bite the bullet, leave the presumptive starters as is, but pull Kemba super early to get 100% run with the 2nd unit.
geometry

Return to Charlotte Hornets