ImageImage

MKG - Where Are You?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

MKG - Where Are You? 

Post#1 » by Bassman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 am

It is a legit question to ask. Missing three games for personal reasons is serious stuff. Has anyone on the Hornets had any comment on this? While I hope it is nothing serious within his family or with him, missing those games coupled with Batum out screwed up rotations and made it hard to establish a plan for starting the season. I despise "lost games", where little things cost wins early in the season, and players or coaches say "it's early". Look at how you finish, wishing you had won just one more game, and think about the "it's early" throwaways you brushed off.

With all due respect, it's time for some answers.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Re: MKG - Where Are You? 

Post#2 » by LofJ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Read on Twitter

:(
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#3 » by Braggins » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:56 pm

Safe and uninjured
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Bassman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 am

LofJ wrote:
Read on Twitter

OK. When does it become imperative that he get back and part of this team again? I mean, there are difficult situations all people face from within pro sports. None I can recall have taken an indefinite leave of absence. Yes I sound like a cruel person, but when does an athlete have an obligation to his team to get back and work? I come from a different era, where you attended to your family, but you got back to your team quickly to not let them down either.

Again, I do hope his family situation resolves well for everyone involved.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:13 am

Bassman wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Read on Twitter

OK. When does it become imperative that he get back and part of this team again? I mean, there are difficult situations all people face from within pro sports. None I can recall have taken an indefinite leave of absence. Yes I sound like a cruel person, but when does an athlete have an obligation to his team to get back and work? I come from a different era, where you attended to your family, but you got back to your team quickly to not let them down either.

This is far from the first time a player's had to take a couple weeks off to tend to family matters. I remember Amare missing 5-10 games a few years ago after a death in his family. Have to imagine it's something serious if MKG is missing 3 preseason games and potentially opening night.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#6 » by yosemiteben » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:13 am

Don't get how you can criticize the dude when you know nothing about what he is dealing with.
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Bassman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:52 am

yosemiteben wrote:Don't get how you can criticize the dude when you know nothing about what he is dealing with.

Indeed I do not know. Each player has to make that decision. Whatever the issue, his absence is hurting this team's start to the season.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#8 » by 316Hornets » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:50 am

Bassman wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Most traditional jobs give like a week? If it's a more lax job, probably like a month.

With professional athletes, I think it's best to give them the time they require to get through whatever it is they may be facing. A big part of playing against professionals is just as much mental as physical. Be off a few inches, distracted by a second, and that could mean the game.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#9 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:47 am

I'm guessing this must be pretty serious and he seems like a somewhat mentally fragile guy (I do not mean this as an insult) so I'm perfectly fine letting him take the time he needs to feel right.

It's an 82 game season. If we aren't good enough to make the playoffs by one game, so be it. If one or two games breaks us then we weren't upsetting the Cavs anyway.

Most people around here talk about MKG as if he's worthless. Suddenly he misses a preseason game and he's a key cog lol
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#10 » by LofJ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:41 pm

MKG has lost a lot of people in his life. He never got the chance his know his father and his uncle that was a father to him died before his freshman year at UK. He hyphenated his last name to honor him. Whoever it is I just hope it isn't his Mom. He's too young to have no surviving parents.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,693

Post#11 » by KembaWalker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Kinda weird someone would get so worked up about a guy missing a week of work over a confirmed family issue. Family comes before work. Always
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#12 » by SWedd523 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:52 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Kinda weird someone would get so worked up about a guy missing a week of work over a confirmed family issue. Family comes before work. Always

Especially if it's the **** pre-season
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Bassman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:24 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Kinda weird someone would get so worked up about a guy missing a week of work over a confirmed family issue. Family comes before work. Always

Not worked up over it, just making the point that another bad start out of the gate (so typical for this team) helps to screw up our record and chances to get out of this treadmill hell we keep dealing with.

I mean, if anyone here is Ok with far#ing around for 20 games until we get the hang of things, .... enjoy.

Im a fan but one who is tired of mediocrity.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#14 » by yosemiteben » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:41 pm

So you preemptively complain about a situation you don't understand? I think it's a safe assumption that if he has to miss time to deal with it, he wouldn't be all that effective if he was back.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#15 » by SWedd523 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Bassman wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:

Not worked up over it, just making the point that another bad start out of the gate (so typical for this team) helps to screw up our record and chances to get out of this treadmill hell we keep dealing with.

I mean, if anyone here is Ok with far#ing around for 20 games until we get the hang of things, .... enjoy.

Im a fan but one who is tired of mediocrity.

I didn't know we lived in a world where:

Missing meaningless pre-season games = farting around for 20 games (where does that number even come from?)

Missing MKG for any period of time = the rest of the team farts around while they wait on him to come back

Thanks for opening my eyes to that :crazy:
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#16 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Look at the bright side. The more time MKG misses the less time we have to see Clifford insist on playing the MKG/Marv/Dwight clogged toilet offense.
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#17 » by _tijo_ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Anyone questioning that guy's commitment after his injuries and what he had to do to get back... I don't know man. This is the guy who during his lost year of shoulder injuries spent time on the bench scouting the other team and helping out the team in whatever way he could. If it was a trivial matter, I don't think the team would give him this much leash. And if you push him to come back too soon, his head won't be right anyway. Take however much time you need.

If my family had a situation where they needed me in an emergency situation, I would hope my employer would be understanding enough to let me take the time I needed. And honestly, if I were MKG, I wouldn't care what us doofus fans think about it, who don't know anything about what he's going through.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Bassman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 am

Perhaps I am questioning his commitment. Mostly I am wondering why he is not back yet, and we hear nothing other than it is personal. I am also pointing out that a player, who many on this board consider one of the keys to our team's success, is missing critical training time. It may cost some wins. Point well made by tijo that his head (and heart) might not be in it if back too soon.

Enough said. We shall all wait to see what comes of it.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#19 » by Mystical Apples » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 am

Components of this thread aren't gonna age well.
geometry
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#20 » by Radu_Hornets » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:28 am

I started to follow the Reddit charlotte Hornets forum this off season when I was hungry for news. And that's funny because regarding this situation around mkg, no one is questioning his conmitment or whatever, they are just wishing him and his family to be well.
"Because there are things more important than basketball"

Moreover, apparently his grand mother passed away... he posted a picture on instagram...

I personnaly don't know anything about how close their relation was and i suppose it's the same for every poster on this forum.

So what about we send prayers, or positive thoughts to him and his family instead of questioning his absence ?

Return to Charlotte Hornets