ImageImage

MKG - Where Are You?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Re: MKG - Where Are You? 

Post#21 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:58 am

Lol Bassman went straight up savage mode with this thread.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#22 » by Bassman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Lol Bassman went straight up savage mode with this thread.

:lol: Liver. I think maybe I've been a general manager too long. And believe it or not everyone, I am more than helpful with my employee's situations.

I also know that I am largely measured on results, not intentions or sentiment. Being a GM, I have to develop a strategy, put the right people into the right jobs to execute that strategy, make adjustments, and be sure we are meeting or exceeding expectations as a business/team. Situations are managed, but excuses only go so far. Same for coaches and GM's in the NBA. Jordan will only stick with Cliff if he can deliver on MJ's goals. Sounds cold but that's real life.

I truly am sorry that apparently MKG lost his grandmother. Cliff and company are managing everything as they see fit. As a fan I am hopeful this team can finally get into the Eastern semifinals. I have doubts that MKG is a big part of that, but I hope I am wrong. He has underperformed his draft pick position, and failed to become a valued starter in this league. No team wants to trade for him.

I just want him to rise up and become what his potential might be. In my real world I try to get my folks to realize their best performance, to accentuate their strengths and improve on the weaknesses. It's more like managing a baseball team than basketball, since we "play" almost every day. But I love basketball, and love my Hornets.

So MKG, very sorry for whatever your dealing with. Hoping you can soon get back in the game and focus your energy on helping your team succeed. Now let's get to work and kick some tail Hornets. No crappy slow starts!
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#23 » by Diop » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:42 am

Any body who followed this team through the Bobcat era has the right to be cynical, this team has toyed with our souls for years
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#24 » by Radu_Hornets » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 am

Diop wrote:Any body who followed this team through the Bobcat era has the right to be cynical, this team has toyed with our souls for years

I watched every single minute of our 7-59 season... :crazy: :banghead:
I'm not sure every poster on here have that record...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#25 » by LofJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Batum and MKG both being out has muted my excitement for the start of the season, MKG at least should be back on the court soon. Maybe he'll be ready to suit up for the home opener on Friday?
Radu_Hornets
Rookie

Post#26 » by Radu_Hornets » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 pm

LofJ wrote:Batum and MKG both being out has muted my excitement for the start of the season, MKG at least should be back on the court soon. Maybe he'll be ready to suit up for the home opener on Friday?

Now that I know what happened, I guess MKG will be back on friday.

And I basically say that based on no other information than my personnal feeling.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#27 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:
Diop wrote:Any body who followed this team through the Bobcat era has the right to be cynical, this team has toyed with our souls for years

I probably was close.. Probably missed some of the games down the stretch.

Not the best allocation of time. Yet there was always motivation to watch so I could make this:

I remember people would tag certain plays in game threads so I would include them in the video. Fun times.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#28 » by Braggins » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:

I think I maybe missed one of our first 75 games during the Lance season. I feel like the high expectations of that year made it even more brutal than the 7-59 season. Some of the game threads that season were insane and hilarious.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie

Post#29 » by Radu_Hornets » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
Radu_Hornets wrote:

I probably was close.. Probably missed some of the games down the stretch.

Not the best allocation of time. Yet there was always motivation to watch so I could make this:

I remember people would tag certain plays in game threads so I would include them in the video. Fun times.

That was an awesome vidéo Lamar ! I don't think I've already seen it ! hahah

Every minute I was like " Ooooh yeah I totally forgot about him, and about him haha, and him hahaha"

Diop, Caroll, higgins, DJ White... Without them, we wouldn't be what we are today ...

PS: I still have faith in Byron Mullens. Bring him back.
PS II: We are lucky that Shaq'tin a fool didn't exist by the time and people gently forgot about that team... Because if Shaz would have made fun of us, we would've be renames the Charlotte McGee
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#30 » by HornetJail » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:42 am

Radu_Hornets wrote:PS II: We are lucky that Shaq'tin a fool didn't exist by the time and people gently forgot about that team... Because if Shaz would have made fun of us, we would've be renames the Charlotte McGee
It did actually. that was the first season of Shaqtin. We were on it a few times but most of the time nobody noticed because nobody watched our games.

Diop's horrific airball was that season and then there were a couple Bismack and Mullens plays. Also I remember Corey Maggette just straight up passing it to the Clippers in the post one time.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Radu_Hornets
Rookie

Post#31 » by Radu_Hornets » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
Radu_Hornets wrote:PS II: We are lucky that Shaq'tin a fool didn't exist by the time and people gently forgot about that team... Because if Shaz would have made fun of us, we would've be renames the Charlotte McGee
It did actually. that was the first season of Shaqtin. We were on it a few times but most of the time nobody noticed because nobody watched our games.

Diop's horrific airball was that season and then there were a couple Bismack and Mullens plays. Also I remember Corey Maggette just straight up passing it to the Clippers in the post one time.

ah yeah my bad !! I remember now the video wit diop's airball
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#32 » by Diop » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am

Remember the air ball but not the turn around jumper

:roll:
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,123

Post#33 » by JDR720 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 pm

So his grandmother died
toddlincoln
Junior
And1: 68

Post#34 » by toddlincoln » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:58 pm

JDR720 wrote:So his grandmother died

frankly, this is ridiculous. I don't get care how **** this makes me sound, but when my grandmother died, I was given 1 personal day. 1. That is probably standard for people with normal jobs if they get any time at all, unless your child or spouse dies. He has been gone for almost 2 weeks. They really need to trade him ASAP, I've never seen anything like this in the NBA
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#35 » by SWedd523 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 am

So because you had a bad experience with a **** employer, all should be required to endure the same?

You're sounding awfully stupid right now
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#36 » by 316Hornets » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:48 am

SWedd523 wrote:So because you had a bad experience with a **** employer, all should be required to endure the same?

You're sounding awfully stupid right now

While 1 day is extreme, there are very few employers that would give an employee this much time off to grieve.

If I was Clifford, I'd ask MKG to come off the bench. As cliche as it is, a lot of pros talk about how the guys they play with are like brothers. I think his issues could affect the others when he finally does come back.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#37 » by HoopsMalone » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:07 am

toddlincoln wrote:
JDR720 wrote:So his grandmother died

frankly, this is ridiculous. I don't get care how **** this makes me sound, but when my grandmother died, I was given 1 personal day. 1. That is probably standard for people with normal jobs if they get any time at all, unless your child or spouse dies. He has been gone for almost 2 weeks. They really need to trade him ASAP, I've never seen anything like this in the NBA

I'm sorry that your employer was so inconsiderate of your needs. At most jobs there is a policy in place that allows you to take as much time off as you need unpaid for grievance. Perhaps this was an option for you that you didn't look into further? Regardless, I'd hate to think because you were treated unfairly that he should be.

By making a roster and receiving a guaranteed contract in the NBA, MKG is not just a random entry-level employee. He has essentially reached a level of senior management... he is the .0001% of his chosen profession... truly the elite. There are less guys in the NBA than there are CEO's of S&P 500 companies. He deserves time to feel at peace. I can assure you this type of benefit is given to most employees who have reached the top ranks of their profession as it is understood that they sacrifice their leisure time, family commitments, etc on a DAILY basis otherwise.

Of all the people I cant believe anyone would question MKG's commitment. He is one of the hardest working player's that I have ever seen. He is a lunch pail guy who has far exceeded his natural skills and abilities simply by reaching the league, let alone playing at such a high level.

MKG was raised by his grandmother. At some point you have to realize these guys are people just like us. The scrutiny they go through is already overwhelming. They travel, workout, watch film, and are responsible for providing a livelihood for more people than I even interact with on a daily basis. Everyone from their babysitter, the parking lot attendants, and their bartender benefits from the income these guys make and spend in the community. And If any profession, on average, spends more time working with children and donating their time & financial support than professional athletes I would be surprised.

If a player who devotes his life to basketball were to read this forum and saw people criticizing his jumpshot, defense, or lack of progression imagine how he would feel. And then substitute "He is taking too much time away to grieve with his family" and see if both of those are of equal validity.

I don't want to judge anyone here based on a one-off comment they made on a website devoted to sports. But a little bit of self reflection is probably a valuable use of your time.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#38 » by SWedd523 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:12 am

Again, why the hell does it matter what other employees would do? He plays in the NBA. We're seeing first hand what HIS employer does.

The fact that any of you are complaining about him having more time off to do whatever necessary tells me way more about you as a person than about MKG.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#39 » by 316Hornets » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:20 am

SWedd523 wrote:Again, why the hell does it matter what other employees would do? He plays in the NBA. We're seeing first hand what HIS employer does.

The fact that any of you are complaining about him having more time off to do whatever necessary tells me way more about you as a person than about MKG.

He's a human just like me. If 99.99% of the population is able to get back to work a few days after a loss in the family, then surely I can use that as a comparison? Does he have higher emotional needs because he is in the upper echelon of wealth? And, IT was back 1 day after his sister's death, so not sure why you're acting like this is standard protocol or something..

And just fyi, no I am not saying trade MKG like the poster above. I do think he should come in off the bench when he returns.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#40 » by HoopsMalone » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 am

316Hornets wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Again, why the hell does it matter what other employees would do? He plays in the NBA. We're seeing first hand what HIS employer does.

He's a human just like me. If 99.99% of the population is able to get back to work a few days after a loss in the family, then surely I can use that as a comparison? Does he have higher emotional needs because he is in the upper echelon of wealth? And, IT was back 1 day after his sister's death, so not sure why you're acting like this is standard protocol or something..

Everyone responds to grief in different ways. Some people need to resume daily activities as soon as possible. Others need more attention, direct or indirect. Ignorance of mental health issues is one of the largest, if not the largest, issues currently affecting our country.

I can assure you that ten years from now MKG missing the Atlanta-Charlotte game on 10-20-2017 will have zero world impact on anyone. And that however he spent this evening will.

Return to Charlotte Hornets