ImageImage

College/prospects thread 17-18

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,051

Re: College/prospects thread 17-18 

Post#321 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 am

Marvin Bagley should technically be entering his freshman year in college. Reclassified. And hes an absolute monster
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#322 » by stinger14 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:13 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Marvin Bagley should technically be entering his freshman year in college. Reclassified. And hes an absolute monster

This ^^^^
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#323 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 am

for the guys that will be in our range, only Mikal Bridges jumps out at me as a guy I want. Unless we move up, we're not getting the Doncic/Bagley/Porters of the draft. In that 8-12 tier, Mikal Bridges fits exactly what we are looking for to replace MKG on the wing and has a championship pedigree, but appears to be nabbed right before our pick. Miles Bridges, Knox, SGA, etc. seem a bit behind Mikal for what he can bring to our team.

I wonder if we would try to move in front of the Knicks to grab him. How much would it cost to move up from 11 to 8. He definitely won't make it past the hometown Sixers at 10.Would any of our scraps help get us there..... Frank, MKG, Marv, Bacon, or Nic (doubt it with having to take back a huge salary.

Would the Cavs want a veteran like Batum on their championship caliber roster?
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#324 » by Braggins » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 am

Heres my current highly uneducated big board.

Tier 1
Marvin Bagley
Luka Doncic

Tier 2
Michael Porter
Deandre Ayton

Tier 3
Mo Bamba
Tre Young
Mikal Bridges

Tier 4
Wendell Carter
Jaren Jackson
SGA
Zhaire Smith

Tier 5
Miles Bridges
Collin Sexton
Mitchell Robinson

I don't really like our position in this draft at all. It isn't as deep as last years class. I think we are getting a role player unless we randomly find the sleeper pick outside of the top 10. Our post all-star break playoff push was a joke.
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#325 » by Lwcasu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Braggins wrote:Heres my current highly uneducated big board.

Tier 1
Marvin Bagley
Luka Doncic

Tier 2
Michael Porter
Deandre Ayton

Tier 3
Mo Bamba
Tre Young
Mikal Bridges

Tier 4
Wendell Carter
Jaren Jackson
SGA
Zhaire Smith

Tier 5
Miles Bridges
Collin Sexton
Mitchell Robinson

I don't really like our position in this draft at all. It isn't as deep as last years class. I think we are getting a role player unless we randomly find the sleeper pick outside of the top 10. Our post all-star break playoff push was a joke.

The highly uneducated part is hilarious. For me, I'd rate the draft as the following:

Tier 1
Marvin Bagley
Deandre Ayton
Mo Bamba

Tier 2
Michael Porter
Luka Doncic

Tier 3
Tre Young
Mikal Bridges
Jaren Jackson

Tier 4
Wendell Carter
SGA
Zhaire Smith
Dzanan Musa

Tier 5
Collin Sexton
Miles Bridges

I wouldn't choose Mitchell or Simons at this time because honestly I don't know what to think of them without upper level organized basketball footage to look at. And, I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Dzanan Musa. I feel like that guy easily is a lottery player, and yet I see him lower on the draft boards. Honestly, I was almost torn whether to put in tier 3 or tier 4. If I wasn't regulated to choosing in the lottery, I'd also rank Williams and Walker as Tier 5 guys. And, I put Bamba as tier 1 because he's compared to Gobert who is NBA Defensive Player of the Year material. How is DPOY as a projection not in the tier 1 category?
Braggins
RealGM

Post#326 » by Braggins » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Lwcasu wrote:I wouldn't choose Mitchell or Simons at this time because honestly I don't know what to think of them without upper level organized basketball footage to look at. And, I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Dzanan Musa. I feel like that guy easily is a lottery player, and yet I see him lower on the draft boards. Honestly, I was almost torn whether to put in tier 3 or tier 4. If I wasn't regulated to choosing in the lottery, I'd also rank Williams and Walker as Tier 5 guys. And, I put Bamba as tier 1 because he's compared to Gobert who is NBA Defensive Player of the Year material. How is DPOY as a projection not in the tier 1 category?

I had Bamba 3rd when i made this initially (top tier 2). He and Doncic are my favorites in this class, but i hedged a little and gave into group think. I probably should have left him 3rd.

I gave Bagley the edge over the others because of his age and because i think his offensive skill set fits the modern game a little better than the other athletic/size freaks (Ayton/Bamba).
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,399

Post#327 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Doncic is by far the player who intrigues me most in this draft. He's currently playing elite basketball at a much higher level of competition than NCAA, and his feel for the game is by all accounts (and highlight footage) off the charts. Stars who understand the game instinctively are very hard to find. We won't need to teach him how to shoot a 3 or read a defense or whatever, he can just step in and contribute right away which is a huge plus in my book.

Ayton is a physical marvel, but isn't the NBA moving away from the titanic center? If he can't be a defensive force he won't have elite impact, even if he does hit threes. The other guys are all really intriguing, and it's easy to see one of the rangy C/PFs being the next KG or Michael Porter turning into Paul Perce, but they're all projects to some degree and our history with projects is not great.

My favored 5:

1. Doncic

2. Ayton
3. Bamba
4. Bagley
5.Jaren Jackson

To be honest Porter's back scares me, I'm surprised that's getting waved aside so easily by the draft experts.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#328 » by LofJ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Tier 1 (All NBA potential)
Deandre Ayton
Luka Doncic
Marvin Bagley

Tier 2 (All-Star potential)
Michael Porter
Wendell Carter
Jaren Jackson
Mo Bamba

Tier 3 (Good Starter potential)

Tre Young
Mikal Bridges
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Isaac Bonga
Mitchell Robinson

Tier 4 (Mediocre Starter potential)
Miles Bridges
Kevin Knox
Jontay Porter
Gary Trent
Collin Sexton
Troy Brown
Bruce Brown
Zhaire Smith

There are a lot of good perimeter defenders in this class, which is a huge need of ours. We have no excuse if we come away empty handed.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,082

Post#329 » by JDR720 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:13 pm

I would have a stroke if we somehow jump into the top 3 and get Dondic.

(the good kind of stroke)
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#330 » by powerforward » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:51 pm

I read a lot of people really liking SGA for us and somebody needs to talk me into him. I have nightmare thoughts that he is mcw part 2

tall pg without elite athleticism
not a knockdown shooter
good size good defender

this sounds a lot like mcw.
stinger14
Starter

Post#331 » by stinger14 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:08 pm

powerforward wrote:I read a lot of people really liking SGA for us and somebody needs to talk me into him. I have nightmare thoughts that he is mcw part 2

tall pg without elite athleticism
not a knockdown shooter
good size good defender

this sounds a lot like mcw.

MCW college as a sophomore
43 % from the field
29 % from 3
69 % from FT

SGA as a freshman (year younger)
48 % from the field
40 % from 3
82 % from FT
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#332 » by yosemiteben » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm

And MCW's numbers as a freshman were...not great.

I didn't watch him all that much, but SGA seemed pretty damn athletic to me. Hope he does the combine, will be interesting to see his measurements.
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#333 » by powerforward » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks. Those numbers help maybe show sga is a better offensive player than i thought and probably a better prospect than mcw. I just have ptsd from mcw
Braggins
RealGM

Post#334 » by Braggins » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:35 pm

My only issue with SGA is that he might not have the potential to be more than a solid starter. I like his game and think he has a valuable skill set that will translate. I've seen very little, though, so I may be totally off in worrying that he doesn't have that high of a ceiling.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#335 » by LofJ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 pm

A MCW that can both shoot and not be a turnover machine is a damn good player to find at 11.
stinger14
Starter

Post#336 » by stinger14 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:37 pm

LofJ wrote:A MCW that can both shoot and not be a turnover machine is a damn good player to find at 11.

Yes it is...

Monk can provide scoring from the perimeter in bunches, SGA would need to be solid on offense, knock down open shots, not turn it over, and play solid defense on the other teams best guard so that Monk doesn't need to.
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#337 » by Lwcasu » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:53 am

stinger14 wrote:
LofJ wrote:A MCW that can both shoot and not be a turnover machine is a damn good player to find at 11.

Yes it is...

Monk can provide scoring from the perimeter in bunches, SGA would need to be solid on offense, knock down open shots, not turn it over, and play solid defense on the other teams best guard so that Monk doesn't need to.

SGA makes so much sense, and I think he's not going to be there. We will have to pick between Sexton, Miles, Knox, and the other leftover scraps :/ 11 without SGA there is just a terrible position to be in for this draft. Earlier in the year I would have been estatic about Sexton, but I don't see him fitting well with Monk. SGA and Monk would compliment each other quite well.
stinger14
Starter

Post#338 » by stinger14 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:02 am

Lwcasu wrote:
stinger14 wrote:

Yes it is...

SGA makes so much sense, and I think he's not going to be there. We will have to pick between Sexton, Miles, Knox, and the other leftover scraps :/ 11 without SGA there is just a terrible position to be in for this draft. Earlier in the year I would have been estatic about Sexton, but I don't see him fitting well with Monk. SGA and Monk would compliment each other quite well.

SGA or Mikal Bridges are my targets. Wendell if he fell, other than them, maybe a trade is in order
LofJ
RealGM

Post#339 » by LofJ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:09 am

Mitch was scouting Doncic:

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/659509/mitch-kupchak-also-scouted-doncic-at-oaka/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter

I like that even though it's unlikely Mitch nonetheless doesn't plan to be blindsided by moving into the top 3.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#340 » by Braggins » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

If Mikal and SGA are gone and no one like Bamba or Young falls, I like Zhaire Smith.

Return to Charlotte Hornets