Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Re: Frank Kaminsky #2 

Post#121 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:10 am

catch20two wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
catch20two wrote:Is anybody on the Magic considered a good defender? Jonathon Simmons went from a defensive staple on the Spurs last year to one of the worst defensive wings in the league this year on the Magic.

I gotta agree with Vanderbilt on this one. The situation is what changed for Biz. I don’t know if it’s coaching scheme or Vucevic as the common denominator but Orlando has tried to load up on defensive players to no avail over the past few years.

Just trust me. Vucevic surpisingly broke out on defense this year. When he went down I made a lot of money on draftkings for a few days before everyone caught on to how bad they were defensively with biyombo instead.

Orlando does have a lot of bad defensive players but Biyombo is one of them

I’m sure Serge Ibaka would agree with me that going from Orlando to Toronto was a case of the situation changing lol.

Serge wasn't good at either stop. He's just a guy now. Like a poor man's Marvin Williams
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#122 » by catch20two » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:24 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
catch20two wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:

Just trust me. Vucevic surpisingly broke out on defense this year. When he went down I made a lot of money on draftkings for a few days before everyone caught on to how bad they were defensively with biyombo instead.

Orlando does have a lot of bad defensive players but Biyombo is one of them

I’m sure Serge Ibaka would agree with me that going from Orlando to Toronto was a case of the situation changing lol.

Serge wasn't good at either stop. He's just a guy now. Like a poor man's Marvin Williams

What? Just a guy that’s a integral part of one of the best teams in the NBA. Serge never was a supposed to be a star player, just an above average role player and he’s still that. Speaking of the Raptors I’ve been impressed with Poeltl who is like the 7ft version of Cody.

Put Biz on a functional team and he’s still a good defender. His last few seasons before going to Orlando would back that claim up.

On topic we need to move Frank to backup C going into next season if he’s still on the roster and tell Dwight that he can stay home until we find a trade partner for his expiring contract.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#123 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:30 am

catch20two wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
catch20two wrote:I’m sure Serge Ibaka would agree with me that going from Orlando to Toronto was a case of the situation changing lol.

What? Just a guy that’s a integral part of one of the best teams in the NBA. Serge never was a supposed to be a star player, just an above average role player and he’s still that. Speaking of the Raptors I’ve been impressed with Poeltl who is like the 7ft version of Cody.

Put Biz on a functional team and he’s still a good defender. His last few seasons before going to Orlando would back that claim up.

On topic we need to move Frank to backup C going into next season if he’s still on the roster and tell Dwight that he can stay home until we find a trade partner for his expiring contract.

I'm telling ya (again), Biyombo is NOT a good defender. He just isn't. Not even close to being one. The guy has lost it. Maybe he is hurt.. i dont know... but he is one of the worst offensive players ive ever seen and he's not a good defender anymore.

Go ask the guys on the Magic board if Biyombo is still a good defender. They started giving up like 120 points a game with him

and yes Serge is a low end starter/high end backup. He's a slightly worse Marvin Williams now.

He was one of the most valuable players in the league in his OKC heyday. But he's likely much older than he says he is and his play has declined dramatically.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#124 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:36 pm

It could be that Biz is getting old, or even just lazy now that he's been paid, but I suspect that two other things are at play,
1. NBA is changing and asking centers to operate out more on the perimeter. Biz is a good interior defender, but has always been pretty iffy when asked to move beyond that.
2. Vogel's defensive scheme is different than Casey's and that's a big deal for guys like Biz. He's the kind of marginal talent that really needs to be in the right situation to shine.

The advanced stats show Biz as Orlando's 3rd best defender, behind Issac and Vucevic. His DBPM aren't hugely different than what they were in his early years here, but are a notch below his Toronto numbers.

Frank wise ... I'm not sold that he's a center. Small lineup? OK, that's fine. Cliff's system? He does seem to do better as a center. Other than that? Unkown.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#125 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Post-ASB Frank is best Frank.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#126 » by Radu_Hornets » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#127 » by Radu_Hornets » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:41 pm

I really don't know what to think about Frank... Most of the time, as soon as i'm starting to think "Ok, he's not as good as I'd like him to be" , He shows thoses flashes where he appears to be an easy 15+ pp type of player...
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#128 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:44 pm

It's going to be difficult to know for sure until we see him in a different system with a new coach ... or trade him to a team that uses him a bit differently.

I lean towards wanting to keep Frank, but not very strongly. I was really frustrated at his inconsistent offense and lack of focus on D.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#129 » by euphorbus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:33 am

All I know is he started shooting better after he started wearing that headband.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#130 » by Rich4114 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm

I am ready to see us move on from Frank. One of the epic failures of Cho as our GM was not accepting that trade for Frank when we could've replenished our roster via the draft from 2016 - 2018. I know there is debate over the quality of those picks, but our GM should have known the outlook of future salary cap restrictions and taken advantage of that deal.

That being said, he still has enough value as a big scorer that could possibly help us gain flexibility or help us move off one of our poor contracts. I hope Mitch moves him.
arthy704
Senior
And1: 110

Post#131 » by arthy704 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Headband frank is the 15ppg frank and 2blks pergame
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#132 » by Braggins » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 am

arthy704 wrote:Headband frank is the 15ppg frank and 2blks pergame

I've been studying the correlation between Franks hair setup and his play for the last two years and I can confirm that head band + feathered curls results in the best play. The sad thing is that this post is partially serious.
arthy704
Senior
And1: 110

Post#133 » by arthy704 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:55 am

Braggins wrote:
arthy704 wrote:Headband frank is the 15ppg frank and 2blks pergame

I've been studying the correlation between Franks hair setup and his play for the last two years and I can confirm that head band + feathered curls results in the best play. The sad thing is that this post is partially serious.

Next year all I want from Frank is to be automatic from 3 to open up the floor and be stronger and more coordinated when going for contested layups. Defense lets hope he can be more quicker to react in perimeter d and not get torch from 3. I think Frank can be a mismatch problem if he works on getting stronger with his body and learn more moves in the post. I also hope his last late games is a sign that hes a late boomer and can reach his untapped potential.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#134 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 pm

So Cho picks this guy over Booker and here we are, three years in and his minutes actually DECREASED from last season. Dipstick Clifford doubled down on Marvin Williams, with no eye on the future at all. Frank hit 38% of his three pointers, and he did that playing heavy minutes with second unit scrubs whose deficiencies enabled defenders to flock to and swarm Frank. If Marvin is still here, for cripe sakes please cut his minutes and see how far we can go with Frank as our lead PF. He's a legit stretch 4 now plus he can pass. No takers for Marvin at the deadline, except coach Clifford.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#135 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:10 pm

If Kupchak deals Frank, we would possibly be stuck with Marvin. I'm not going to argue the talent on the roster. It's talented. But I rank Marvin right up their with MKG as a very poor fit here. His limitations are more glaring in today's NBA. If you can't pass and facilitate, your perimeter offense will suffer as a whole despite stellar catch-and-shoot rates and makes for you individually. MKG is even a worse fit. He can't pass AND he can't score from the perimeter. He's probably the worst fit of them all. And what good is talent if it doesn't fit? I hope the next coach doesn't give MKG 36 minutes per night. I'm exagerrating of course but all you MKG fans have been spoiled for years now as he's been starting from the very beginning of his career, getting big minutes, while being a terrible fit. I'm pretty sure the Sixers just tagged Winslow's team for 130 and they did it without their superstar. It's a different game. Frank needs more time. Marvin needs to eat pine and get to know the ball boy better.
It has been written...
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#136 » by Bassman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm

I have been an advocate of dealing Hyphen for many years. He gave me some hope at one point, after Price repaired his shooting form, but after injury he reverted backward and has remained mediocre ever since. We might get a late first round/early second round pick for him. Think of it as the equivalent of a bankruptcy sale. I am OK with that. Nobody is dealing for Marvin. Just like with Batum, those resignings were a disaster for us (as I stated at the time).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#137 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Bassman wrote:I have been an advocate of dealing Hyphen for many years. He gave me some hope at one point, after Price repaired his shooting form, but after injury he reverted backward and has remained mediocre ever since. We might get a late first round/early second round pick for him. Think of it as the equivalent of a bankruptcy sale. I am OK with that. Nobody is dealing for Marvin. Just like with Batum, those resignings were a disaster for us (as I stated at the time).

I go back and forth on removing MKG vs. Marvin because I suspect Kupchak can't unload both, even if he attaches pick 11. I don't agree that Marvin is harder to move. He shoots 40% from three and his rebounding and defense are on par with MKG. I think it's easy to bench Marvin in favor of Frank though. With MKG there is too much clutter because Batum the anvil has to be at his natural position, plus Lamb and Monk need more minutes. With Marvin on the roster there is only one casualty and that's Frank. So, because Marvin is easier to push aside and maybe easier to unload down the road without attaching a pick, I really want Kupchak to use pick 11 to move MKG. If Kupchak squanders it on Marvin, there is still an awful minutes crunch affecting Lamb and Monk. I'm ready to embrace Frank as part of the core with Monk and Lamb.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,622

Post#138 » by fatlever » Thu May 31, 2018 11:55 pm

Read on Twitter
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946