ImageImage

Stephen Silas - The Coach Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Stephen Silas - The Coach Thread 

Post#1 » by Snidely FC » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Anybody hear during the OKC game that Young Silas said he wants the team to average 27 x 3 point attempts per game?
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: Stephen Silas - The Coach Thread 

Post#2 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:21 pm

I had not heard that. I'm on board though.

I already like his substitution patterns better than Cliff.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#3 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I had not heard that. I'm on board though.

Clifford threw Lil Silas under the bus as the orchestrator of his substitution patterns in one of his latest interviews before leaving. I don’t know how much grains of salt to take with that but it was said.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#4 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm

catch20two wrote:

Clifford threw Lil Silas under the bus as the orchestrator of his substitution patterns in one of his latest interviews before leaving. I don’t know how much grains of salt to take with that but it was said.

Wanted to point out that it isn't exactly what he said.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Yeah, my read was Cliff wanted Silas to be in charge of implementing his normal sub routine so that the HC could just pay attention to other things ... he was delegating implementation not empowering creativity.
My picks:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#6 » by BigSlam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Sub patterns have been different under Silas due to injury imposed roster restrictions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
catch20two
RealGM

Post#7 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Wanted to point out that it isn't exactly what he said.

I guess I did get a little bit carried away with the “orchestrator” part.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
catch20two
RealGM

Post#8 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:47 pm

As the number two man, Silas runs practices on occasion and takes the lead in game-planning. During games, he’s responsible for substitutions.

That’s in addition to his other duties, which include working individually with the wing players. If Silas has a speciality, it’s player development — Clifford was immediately drawn to how Silas interacts with players.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#9 » by yosemiteben » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Cliff didn't exactly give an expose on his philosophy in utilizing his staff. Don't think we can really learn all that much from that quote.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#10 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:25 pm

BigSlam wrote:Sub patterns have been different under Silas due to injury imposed roster restrictions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one of my biggest concerns, when everyone is back will we revert to something closer to the what we were prior to Cliff departing or will we still use unconventional (actually, much more conventional these days) small-ball lineups?

It's a long season, so he still has time to show it, but I haven't been incredible impressed by Silas. He seems like a competent, relatively conservative, NBA coach. He'll be just like Cliff or Dwayne Casey or Scott Brooks, a total professional, but not an innovator. Unfortunately the 'meta' game of the NBA is shifting so fast and far from from previous norms that even a somewhat less conservative coach than Cliff (which is where I have Silas pegged at the moment) might leave us standing in quicksand for a few more years.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#11 » by -Ian- » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:It's a long season, so he still has time to show it, but I haven't been incredible impressed by Silas. He seems like a competent, relatively conservative, NBA coach. He'll be just like Cliff or Dwayne Casey or Scott Brooks, a total professional, but not an innovator. Unfortunately the 'meta' game of the NBA is shifting so fast and far from from previous norms that even a somewhat less conservative coach than Cliff (which is where I have Silas pegged at the moment) might leave us standing in quicksand for a few more years.

Good point.

+1 on your usage of "meta." I think this is the first time I've read that word in this sub. :lol:
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,612

Post#12 » by fatlever » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 pm

felt like we had no plan and no organization on either end vs rockets. still trying to play like 2012 grizzlies. not inspiring stuff so far.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:43 pm

I feel like Silas is trying to stick to Cliff's game plan as much as possible in terms of how the offense and defense work, mostly because the big guy could be back. He appears to feel free to manage minutes differently in terms of sub patters, but is sticking with starting the guys Cliff would and limiting minutes for guys like Monk just like Cliff would. The result will be minimal transition if Cliff returns, but also means that we may or may not be seeing the 'real' Silas.
My picks:
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Silas has to go too 

Post#14 » by HoopsMalone » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:58 am

Silas is in so far over his head he can't even find a suit that fits to wear on the sideline.

We need new wave guys who understand modern basketball. This staff would struggle even if we had top talent.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: Silas has to go too 

Post#15 » by Eoghan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 am

I'm not sure we can afford to lose Paul Silas as a STH.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#16 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 am

You know what... initially this post was critical of Silas but after seeing him stagger rotations last night and again tonight in the 3rd quarter... AND make an MKG for Frank substitution with 6 seconds left in the 3rd quarter when Portland had the ball side out... I'm seeing that he's making some subtle changes.

Count me as no longer being in the FIRE SILAS camp.

Little things like that are very important in the modern NBA. He's got the rest of the year to show what he's got hopefully.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,525

Post#17 » by HornetJail » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:00 am

HoopsMalone wrote:You know what... initially this post was critical of Silas but after seeing him stagger rotations last night and again tonight in the 3rd quarter... AND make an MKG for Frank substitution with 6 seconds left in the 3rd quarter when Portland had the ball side out... I'm seeing that he's making some subtle changes.

Count me as no longer being in the FIRE SILAS camp.

Little things like that are very important in the modern NBA. He's got the rest of the year to show what he's got hopefully.

there is still no game plan whatsoever. I was totally on board with making Silas our coach, but I'm not seeing anything promising other than he's being slightly less rigid with rotations. We need somebody with an actual plan. That goes for everyone- coaches, GMs, players... this entire team is running around with their heads 7 feet up their own asses
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#18 » by mrknowitall215 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:26 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,029

Post#19 » by JDR720 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:33 am

That should be code for "mcw ain't playing no more"
catch20two
RealGM

Post#20 » by catch20two » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:37 am

I’ve been saying that we need to shorten the rotation for about a month now. I hope this shortened rotation means no MCW otherwise we’re gonna continue to unintentionally tank.

Just stagger the lineups so Batum play point when Kemba is on the bench, let Lamb play 30 minutes, give Treveon the other wing minutes, and play small ball lineups that consist of Frank or Marv playing backup C.

Return to Charlotte Hornets