ImageImage

2018 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#421 » by catch20two » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:03 am

Diop wrote:Joe Johnson will be waived, can we use him as a backup forward/ball handler since Clifford won't play Batum with the bench?

I would love to use Joe Johnson as a backup PF and maybe take Frank completely out of the rotation but that’s entirely wishful thinking considering who our coach is.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,517

Post#422 » by Bassman » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:18 am

Think whatever you may from the relative non-action of the Hornets, but it amounted to a big nothing. Cho did his patented minor trade which, while improving a deep reserve position by a smidge, still cost two 2nd round picks that we really didn’t need (since we have so much cap space :evil: ). It is difficult manner to execute a real rebuild, but clearly nobody had the guts to do it. Therefore we sit here once again, a team seeking a marginal chance to make the playoffs then be destroyed in round 1. Produce a crappy draft pick position so we can add another lug to the perpetual lugs in our lineups. At the end of the season, we will have to give away good players to keep out of luxury tax land. Our team will be in a very similar position, really no better, kicking the can down the road towards the inevitable rebuild and blowup.

I guarantee you Clifford is back next season. If he is I may be done.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#423 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Feb 9, 2018 1:03 am

Bassman wrote:I guarantee you Clifford is back next season. If he is I may be done.

Co-sign.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#424 » by Braggins » Fri Feb 9, 2018 1:37 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Bassman wrote:I guarantee you Clifford is back next season. If he is I may be done.

Co-sign.

Same.

I'm glad we didn't trade Kemba/Cody/Lamb/MKG/Monk or any 1st round picks, though.

I just want a new coach and don't know if my sanity can handle another season of Clifford. I can tell I'm getting annoying complaining about him so much.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#425 » by catch20two » Fri Feb 9, 2018 1:43 am

Braggins wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:

Co-sign.

Same.

I'm glad we didn't trade Kemba/Cody/Lamb/MKG/Monk or any 1st round picks, though.

I just want a new coach and don't know if my sanity can handle another season of Clifford. I can tell I'm getting annoying complaining about him so much.

It’s not annoying at all. It’s actually quite relieving and rejoiceful to know that we’re all on the same page that Clifford needs to gtfoh.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#426 » by countryboi » Fri Feb 9, 2018 1:54 am

the worse part about Clifford is he is clearly not a bad coach, he is just stubborn to the point of insanely.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#427 » by Eoghan » Fri Feb 9, 2018 2:19 am

No, Clifford is a bad coach. The one characteristic that most often separates good coaches from bad ones is adaptability. Look at Spoelstra, people thought he was just a product of LeGM James, Bosh and Wade but after that team got blown up he adapted and has rosters routinely as talented if not worse than ours grinding for solid playoff seeding. How many times does one little injury completely derail the success of the team, not even to main players like Kemba?

Any way, I'm just thankful that Cho didn't go full Billy King and bury the team in terrible, desperation trades.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#428 » by Diop » Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:10 am

nice to see Nance going to Cleveland, pity he can't wear his dads number
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#429 » by BobsBuddy » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:53 pm

:o :lol: Well Cho,I guess the CAVs had a better 3way where they didn't have to spend the Brooklyn pick. :wink: I will yield to your decision to stay put and not mortgage the franchise. Also hopefully Kemba will not accept a max deal from us and then his body wear out similiar to ............D.Rose? As for your job..I predict you will be terminated before the 2018 Draft...In Fact..I believe everybody will be gone by then. Then whoever comes in will be able to start over clean and possibly package Hornet role players to draft key younger players or 2nd/3rd year vets on an NBA Roster.
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#430 » by BobsBuddy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:18 pm

:oops: :o Stay tuned for draft day 2018......I suspect that we will trade our 2018 pick+ Kemba to NYK for that FRENCHIE PG 2017 + 2018 NYK pick. That way we will not have to pay him 175-200 million over 4-5 years.. :wink:

As for Dwight we will be talking about him next year in the 2019 Trade Deadlne Thread..

AND the beat goes on....SOS :crazy:
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#431 » by HornetJail » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 am

barf
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#432 » by BeesWax » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 pm

It was fun to see this team cares less about building a winner and more about what happens when they host the all star game next season. Way to make bad decisions for stupid reasons MJ. We had one chance at using the value of the only solid piece we own to actually try to gain some traction in building a winning team and instead you worried about your image and now we lost value and we are still stuck as one of the worst teams position wise in the NBA.
Spoiler:
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#433 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 pm

The good news from this trade deadline
1. Kemba is still here
2. Lack of major moves likely means that we will be seeing a new GM in the summer
3. No one in the FO gave in to Cliff's pressure to win more now
4. The team is positioned to move or stretch Dwight over the summer - which might be a signal to Cliff as well
5. Other young guys like Lamb were not traded

I really can't complain about any of that. While plenty of the individual players on the team drive me a bit crazy, it's the overall offensive and defense schemes that bother me the most at this point, so there was unlikely to be a trade that was going to be able to fix that.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody

Return to Charlotte Hornets