ImageImage

Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop, BigSlam, JDR720

User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,262
And1: 10,618
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#421 » by yosemiteben » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:18 pm

Sure, I get why you and others might not love the rotation. I don't necessarily agree with some of the critiques and I definitely don't think it's worth firing JB over.

I genuinely don't think rotation changes would have added more to our W column.
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#422 » by DY_nasty » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 pm

JB's rotation expirements have literally cost us games though. Hell, guys in the game threads have called them out the moment they touched the floor.

Its not an exaggeration
User avatar
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
Posts: 12,696
And1: 4,926
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: Servant to lord Bargnani
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#423 » by amcoolio » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:27 pm

DY_nasty wrote:JB's rotation expirements have literally cost us games though. Hell, guys in the game threads have called them out the moment they touched the floor.

Its not an exaggeration


I'm fairly certain we ran a Monk/Rozier/Martin Twins/Biz lineup that cost us 10 points instantly in 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter and we lost by 10, a month ago
Image
euphorbus
Veteran
Posts: 2,766
And1: 1,124
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#424 » by euphorbus » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:56 pm

It's been a couple of weeks since I called for Coach Borrego's head. Since then, LaMelo Ball has continued his breakout, and Malik Monk returned to the rotation, beginning on January 27. Now the team is profiled in the New York Times, with a focus on the seven coaches. So Coach Borrego, keep up the good work and go with the flow!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/sports/basketball/nba-hornets-charlotte-lamelo-ball.html
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#425 » by BigSlam » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Best adjustment he’s made was cutting his rotation down from 10 guys to 7 main guys and some bit mins to 1 or 2 others IMO.
BBMF'ers
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#426 » by SWedd523 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Almost like he wanted to spread minutes around a little bit early season because dudes hadn't played in so long and/or were rookies and/or coming off injury/China flu

As the season has progressed and guys have established themselves in the pecking order, the rotation has developed accordingly.

Signs of a good coach IMO
Image
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#427 » by BigSlam » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Almost like he wanted to spread minutes around a little bit early season because dudes hadn't played in so long and/or were rookies and/or coming off injury/China flu

Very good point, and that might be right - he might just have been easing guys into the season. Some of the statements he made early on about an extended rotation had me worried though. Good to see he seems to have pivoted from that though.

SWedd523 wrote:Signs of a good coach IMO

Totally agree - having a coach who believes in his process and enforces it is important but a coach who can also pivot and know when to do so is gold.
BBMF'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#428 » by DY_nasty » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:42 pm

i..... don't think that a shortened rotation has anything to do with some grand scheme guys

more likely our injuries than anything else lol

and rozier/graham both getting hurt is what forced lamelo into the starting lineup - a move that should've happened weeks ago without injuries to prompt it.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#429 » by SWedd523 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:27 pm

DY_nasty wrote:i..... don't think that a shortened rotation has anything to do with some grand scheme guys

more likely our injuries than anything else lol

and rozier/graham both getting hurt is what forced lamelo into the starting lineup - a move that should've happened weeks ago without injuries to prompt it.

Wait, what?

Wouldn't guys getting hurt extend the rotation, not limit it?

Less dudes are getting PT than before, despite injuries
Image
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#430 » by DY_nasty » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:05 am

SWedd523 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:i..... don't think that a shortened rotation has anything to do with some grand scheme guys

more likely our injuries than anything else lol

and rozier/graham both getting hurt is what forced lamelo into the starting lineup - a move that should've happened weeks ago without injuries to prompt it.

Wait, what?

Wouldn't guys getting hurt extend the rotation, not limit it?

Less dudes are getting PT than before, despite injuries
i think you're kinda blurring two points there. regarding lamelo starting - its due to injury (and its still imo dumb to start two PGs when you only have two PGs ready to go). and it shouldn't have taken that.

and for the second, borrego still has wild trust issues. if pj gets hurt that just means a twin gets to guard a center lol. he's not playing guys he's not comfortable with. that's why the rotation is shortening. not sure why us losing guys would mean the rotation would extend.

and that's even if they've proven to be reliable for situations and matchups. borrego is more comfortable watching our wings get mauled than trusting biyombo to stop a run based around physicality inside.
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#431 » by BigSlam » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:06 am

SWedd523 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:i..... don't think that a shortened rotation has anything to do with some grand scheme guys

more likely our injuries than anything else lol

and rozier/graham both getting hurt is what forced lamelo into the starting lineup - a move that should've happened weeks ago without injuries to prompt it.

Wait, what?

Wouldn't guys getting hurt extend the rotation, not limit it?

Less dudes are getting PT than before, despite injuries

Yup. We’re seeing guys get 32+mins and even 35+mins now.

That wasn’t happening at all before.
BBMF'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#432 » by DY_nasty » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:16 am

i'm confused.

he's running guys into the ground because he won't even trust himself to play guys who've proven they can be good in situations/matchups when his go-to players are out. Cody plays 40 minutes (reasonable) but Biz doesn't touch the floor once (huh?).

stuff like that doesn't add up at all. it just kinda doubles back to having tools and not using them while at the same time doubling down on what makes him comfortable.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#433 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:02 am

DY_nasty wrote:i'm confused.

he's running guys into the ground because he won't even trust himself to play guys who've proven they can be good in situations/matchups when his go-to players are out. Cody plays 40 minutes (reasonable) but Biz doesn't touch the floor once (huh?).

stuff like that doesn't add up at all. it just kinda doubles back to having tools and not using them while at the same time doubling down on what makes him comfortable.


Were clearly talking about two different things

Slam and others were complaining early season because like 10 dudes were getting minutes and guys weren't getting enough time to establish rhythm.

As the season has progressed, that rotation has steadily gotten smaller, the main guys are seeing their minutes go up, and the bit players are getting spot minutes.

Slam applauded that

I said I believe it was indicative of him wanting to ease the entire team back into game shape (for a variety of reasons) and, since it appears to have been a smart move, that it shows good coaching by Borrego.

You're talking about Melo and two PG lineups lol
Image
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 47,864
And1: 5,430
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#434 » by BigSlam » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 am

I'm still not overly fond of his sub patterns at times though. He seems pretty rigid with them and will sometimes sit the hot hand Vs keeping them in a little longer.

He has proven to be willing to sit guys during a game who are sucking on any given night though, so that's good.
BBMF'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#435 » by DY_nasty » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:12 am

SWedd523 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:i'm confused.

he's running guys into the ground because he won't even trust himself to play guys who've proven they can be good in situations/matchups when his go-to players are out. Cody plays 40 minutes (reasonable) but Biz doesn't touch the floor once (huh?).

stuff like that doesn't add up at all. it just kinda doubles back to having tools and not using them while at the same time doubling down on what makes him comfortable.


Were clearly talking about two different things

Slam and others were complaining early season because like 10 dudes were getting minutes and guys weren't getting enough time to establish rhythm.

As the season has progressed, that rotation has steadily gotten smaller, the main guys are seeing their minutes go up, and the bit players are getting spot minutes.

Slam applauded that

I said I believe it was indicative of him wanting to ease the entire team back into game shape (for a variety of reasons) and, since it appears to have been a smart move, that it shows good coaching by Borrego.


You're talking about Melo and two PG lineups lol

yeah and i don't agree there at all

if he was conscious of getting people into game shape or was attuned to conditioning then he wouldn't be absolutely clueless with how monk looks absolutely gassed or with how PJ could barely pretend to be active after returning.

the rotation shortening and minutes shooting up is not some plan playing out. he's losing his favorites and forced to lean harder on the guys he trusts. its just that straightforward imo
Rich4114
General Manager
Posts: 8,597
And1: 2,632
Joined: Mar 11, 2004
Location: PA
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#436 » by Rich4114 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 am

I still don’t trust he won’t move LaMelo back to the bench when Devonte returns. JB has taken a PJ Washington sized step back for me this season.
CuseMayne
Senior
Posts: 626
And1: 552
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#437 » by CuseMayne » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:37 am

After every single loss these quotes are guaranteed:

"Give them a ton of credit."

"I'll look at the film."

"We'll keep getting better."

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Where are you guys with JB right now? He just seems to be a very solid developmental assistant coach, while his in-game coaching leaves A LOT to be desired.
predators
Senior
Posts: 688
And1: 289
Joined: Jun 13, 2014
     

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#438 » by predators » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:56 pm

CuseMayne wrote:After every single loss these quotes are guaranteed:

"Give them a ton of credit."

"I'll look at the film."

"We'll keep getting better."

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Where are you guys with JB right now? He just seems to be a very solid developmental assistant coach, while his in-game coaching leaves A LOT to be desired.


TBH given how small this team is, I don't think the defense is fixable unless all of our players are clairvoyant on defense. I think it's a choice between a lay up line and giving up threes.
Rich4114
General Manager
Posts: 8,597
And1: 2,632
Joined: Mar 11, 2004
Location: PA
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#439 » by Rich4114 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:15 pm

CuseMayne wrote:Where are you guys with JB right now? He just seems to be a very solid developmental assistant coach, while his in-game coaching leaves A LOT to be desired.


I'm with you on this actually. I have lost confidence that JB has had enough coaching experience to lead this team to a playoff series win. I think we could get into the playoffs under him but not win a series. I don't think he has the right feel for momentum and he gets stubborn with his rotations regardless of how the game is going sometimes.

However, I think he will get a pass as long as we make the playoffs because the bar is set so damn low and everyone knows our roster lacks size to an alarming degree.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,262
And1: 10,618
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Not Van Damme: The James Borrego Thread 

Post#440 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:29 pm

I don't really understand the "no feel for the game" take. We have been an excellent closing team this season.

Return to Charlotte Hornets