Woj: Hornets acquire Mozgov for Dwight

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Re: Woj: Hornets acquire Mozgov for Dwight 

Post#181 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:51 pm

_tijo_ wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:After reading the comments about locker room dysfunction, specifically Kemba hating Dwight and the players siding with Kemba and Dwight not setting screens on critical plays, it seemed like Dwight simply had to go asap if we wanted to have any success next year.

I'm leaning more towards the idea we will not blow it up tonight and trade Kemba. It seems at this point we're at least going to try to give Borrego a chance to turn it around and shedding Dwight was a big part of that. If we were going full rebuild Dwight's presence would not be as big a deal (maybe even valuable as a tank commander) and at minimum it would have been smarter to see what teams might be willing to pay in January for his 'services' as a soon-to-be-expiring. The timing of this move suggests we're leaning toward being competitive, assuming we're executing a logical plan (not a given). Tonight will be very enlightening.

I think it will be fascinating. If they really thought Dwight was the problem, I think this is a move as much for Batum as it was for Kemba. I think Mitch looked at it, found that he couldn't unload Batum's deal, so he looked at the factors that made him ineffective this year vs. previous years. And his conclusion was that he tried too much to adjust to Dwight instead of playing the game that made him effective alongside Kemba in the past. He's betting that getting rid of Dwight, and giving Borrego the player development will entice Kemba to stay to build with a on-the-rise group.

I think your both right on the $
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#182 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pm

_tijo_ wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:After reading the comments about locker room dysfunction, specifically Kemba hating Dwight and the players siding with Kemba and Dwight not setting screens on critical plays, it seemed like Dwight simply had to go asap if we wanted to have any success next year.

I'm leaning more towards the idea we will not blow it up tonight and trade Kemba. It seems at this point we're at least going to try to give Borrego a chance to turn it around and shedding Dwight was a big part of that. If we were going full rebuild Dwight's presence would not be as big a deal (maybe even valuable as a tank commander) and at minimum it would have been smarter to see what teams might be willing to pay in January for his 'services' as a soon-to-be-expiring. The timing of this move suggests we're leaning toward being competitive, assuming we're executing a logical plan (not a given). Tonight will be very enlightening.

I think it will be fascinating. If they really thought Dwight was the problem, I think this is a move as much for Batum as it was for Kemba. I think Mitch looked at it, found that he couldn't unload Batum's deal, so he looked at the factors that made him ineffective this year vs. previous years. And his conclusion was that he tried too much to adjust to Dwight instead of playing the game that made him effective alongside Kemba in the past. He's betting that getting rid of Dwight, and giving Borrego the player development will entice Kemba to stay to build with a on-the-rise group.

Great stuff guys. We really need to nail this pick. There's a chance we could trade it for a win-now player.
It has been written...
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#183 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#184 » by LofJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:08 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not surprised, this will make MJ look cheap unless he does something with the TPE or the MLE.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#185 » by BeesWax » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 pm

LofJ wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not surprised, this will make MJ look cheap unless he does something with the TPE or the MLE.

It depends it allows us to take a pick in a trade and not go into the tax. If we are moving Kemba to rebuild the trade makes a lot of sense but if we aren't and plan to resign him then it is not bright.
Spoiler:
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#186 » by _tijo_ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Wait, why didn't we just buy him out? Can we back out of the deal since it can't be official anyway until July? And then we won't have to take Mozgov's deal and can just extend Kemba.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#187 » by CatgutStitches » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Half of the reason for this trade was to give us some breathing room from the tax line. Just buying out Howard does not accomplish this task.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#188 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 pm

_tijo_ wrote:Wait, why didn't we just buy him out? Can we back out of the deal since it can't be official anyway until July? And then we won't have to take Mozgov's deal and can just extend Kemba.

Back out of a verbal agreement unless its something like failing a physical and you will be frowned upon around the entire league and no one will want to do business with you.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#189 » by Robot Rock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
_tijo_ wrote:Wait, why didn't we just buy him out? Can we back out of the deal since it can't be official anyway until July? And then we won't have to take Mozgov's deal and can just extend Kemba.

Back out of a verbal agreement unless its something like failing a physical and you will be frowned upon around the entire league and no one will want to do business with you.

I'd rather other teams not do business with us. We get worse with every trade we make. (Not completely serious, but I mean...)
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#190 » by HornetJail » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Mozgov has had knee problems in the past. A player failing a physical like Donatas Motiejunas did with DET after the Pistons gave up a lottery pick or something for him, is not unprecedented.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Teal25
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#191 » by Teal25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Pacers backed out of the trade at the last minute last year. It caused Denver to stupidly trade Mitchell for Lyles, Kyrie drama in Cleveland , and Phoenix and Bledsoe tanking his value. Nothings come out of teams not wanting to deal with him. With the stupid contracts the Nets have been giving out these past two years, I’m sure no one will care if they get screwed over.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#192 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:23 pm

_tijo_ wrote:

Also playing Batum at a more natural SF or even small-ball 4 makes more sense, IMO, than Cliff trying to play him at the 2. I think Batum will at least be servicable from this aspect moreso than previous years.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#193 » by Steelo Green » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Why didn't Charlotte just buy him out? The Mozgov deal is 3 years?
AFOWL
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#194 » by AFOWL » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Does jordan even want this team to win with the stupid decisions and trades we make
Rocketsbaby
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Post#195 » by Rocketsbaby » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:22 am

I have a loose contact within hornets operations staff. Basically they traded for Hernangomez last year because they decided they were not bringing back dwight under any circumstances due to locker room issues and teammates being pissed about the way dwight did not take the games seriously. Something about the way he took shots that were clearly outside of the offense and would not take accountability.

Also all the usual stuff about farting, demanding the ball in the post, not wanting to run PNR, etc... the typical Dwight MO.

They had to trade Dwight to slide under the luxury tax line so cutting him was not an option. Getting Mozgov was not much of a consideration, they just had to find a team willing to absorb Dwight's salary and send back less salary in return so they could get under the tax.

I'm not posting any of this pretending to have crazy inside information or access to the hornets. this is just something from an extrememly loose contact. All of it checks out if you just use normal rationale IMO so I buy all of it.

Also his opinion on the Kemba situation: Let me preface this by being clear that he delineated that this was just his OPINION. He stated the dwight stuff as basically pure fact. Like those arent guarded secrets or anything.

They are torn on Kemba. On one hand he's been the perfect teammate, face of franchise, community oriented guy. He's a great player, worker, and fan favorite. At the same time he's probably already peaked and they arent sure they can really assemble a team good enough to compete around him during his window. They are extremely queasy about handing him a monster deal and handcuffing themselves to this roster. On the other hand they don't want to just trade a guy who has been such a great member of the organization. They think the wheels would completely fall off the second he was traded as he's clearly the leader of the team that is holding things together.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#196 » by HornetJail » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:38 am

RaptorsFTL wrote:Why didn't Charlotte just buy him out? The Mozgov deal is 3 years?

Two.

He expires one year after Dwight.

Still a horrible trade though. Should've bought him out, no question
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rocketsbaby
Sixth Man

Post#197 » by Rocketsbaby » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:42 am

Teal25 wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Teal25 wrote:So why not just buy Howard out for the 7.8 million less? Dwight may be a locker room but some team would’ve gave him a 1 year 8 million+ contract. Whoopidity doo! 2 whole 2nds for 16.7 million of a useless player.

Because Howard would have to agree to taking less $ and you know he wouldn't do that.

Yes I know but you have until the deadline to clear salary for luxury tax. He would’ve at least took a buyout to go to a contender at the deadline. If he’s such a problem sit home. It’s not like Mozgov will play much if at all.

This isnt true. That rule changed under the new CBA
Rocketsbaby
Sixth Man

Post#198 » by Rocketsbaby » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:50 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:Why didn't Charlotte just buy him out? The Mozgov deal is 3 years?

Two.

He expires one year after Dwight.

Still a horrible trade though. Should've bought him out, no question

They couldnt buy him out. He still counts agianst the cap and tax if you buy him out. It wasnt an option

Return to Charlotte Hornets