Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Re: Woj: Hornets acquire Mozgov for Dwight 

Post#161 » by 316Hornets » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Stupid deal.

Go away Mitch, you suck. Take MJ with you

Dwight has had chemistry issues everywhere he has went. Not too many teams in the league would pay 20+ mil for that.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#162 » by amcoolio » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:59 pm

I know we needed to clear money this year but it would have been nice to take someone, anyone other than Deng and Mozgov
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#163 » by 316Hornets » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Everybody knows there could be multiple superstars in next years draft. Mozgov is an excellent tank guy. We also continue the tradition of getting as many goofy tall white guys as possible
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,121

Post#164 » by JDR720 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 pm

Trading Dwight probably makes it more likely Kemba stays, Kemba didn't like him so dealing Dwight now means he doesn't have to deal with him for another season.

(We are totally trading Kemba tomorrow so we can build around Frank)
AFOWL
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#165 » by AFOWL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 pm

we got trash for Dwight or maybe we about to sign LBJ to team back up with mozgov LOL
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#166 » by HornetJail » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Title of the thread:

Hornets dump hated Dwight for 2 second rounders, 7.8 million cap space.

Sound better?

And take on $16.7M the next year
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#167 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:18 am

It's not so bad when you consider that we gained 10 spots in the 2nd round just for taking on Dwight in the first place... and then got two extra 2nds for moving him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#168 » by HornetJail » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:24 am

BlackOutBuzz wrote:It's not so bad when you consider that we gained 10 spots in the 2nd round just for taking on Dwight in the first place... and then got two extra 2nds for moving him.

We corrected the Plumlee mistake with the Dwight trade, got all the negative aspects of having Dwight (big contract probably prevented some moves from happening, he pissed off the locker room, and played just well enough so that we couldn't tank with Zeller out but not good enough to get us to the playoffs), then undid all of the positive aspects of that trade and then some today. Plumlee makes $12.5M / $12.5M. Mozgov makes $16M / $16.7M. We couldn't wait for a better deal where we don't take back such a ridiculous contract?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#169 » by chabber » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:It's not so bad when you consider that we gained 10 spots in the 2nd round just for taking on Dwight in the first place... and then got two extra 2nds for moving him.

We corrected the Plumlee mistake with the Dwight trade, got all the negative aspects of having Dwight (big contract probably prevented some moves from happening, he pissed off the locker room, and played just well enough so that we couldn't tank with Zeller out but not good enough to get us to the playoffs), then undid all of the positive aspects of that trade and then some today. Plumlee makes $12.5M / $12.5M. Mozgov makes $16M / $16.7M. We couldn't wait for a better deal where we don't take back such a ridiculous contract?

Wait how long? This opens up money now and we don’t have to give up pieces we may value. We probably want to go into free agency being able to use our exceptions and make signings without going into the tax, where as if we had, we may have ended up making a worse deal trying to get out of it. We have a full year now to worry about how to get Mozgov or some other contract off the books.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#170 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:45 am

I think Kupchak feels confident he can unload most of the salary between Marvin + MKG based on preliminary talks. A good GM nudges along multiple deals with multiple contingency options. I do think taking on Mozgov reflects confidence in moving someone else either now/soon or by the trade deadline. I think you could attach the two second rounders to Marvin and move that whole contract for an expiring, same with MKG
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#171 » by LofJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:46 am

I'm just happy that Dwight is gone. After hiring new staff and the draft it should have been the top priority. We can all move on to the rest of the offseason now and get excited about the draft and summer league.
arthy704
Senior
And1: 110

Post#172 » by arthy704 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:57 am

While casual fans are upset wit his the trade the bigger picture is now we can play fast pace ball with Gomez and Cody at the 5 and be done with alfense style basketball.Hopefully Mitch can find a way to trade Marvin or mkg and find some young athletic wing player that can shoot 3s in the draft we will at least look fun to watch until we can square away on what we really want to do long term. No doubt kemba is staying because of the Dwight situation.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#173 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:11 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

The main Dwight cheerleader got fired, as did the GM that traded for him. We clearly viewed this as a necessary correction. Mitch is obviously very connected, if there was a better option I'm sure we would have taken it.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#174 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:45 am

I honestly thought that the Hornets were going to have to waive Dwight ... that no other team would trade anything of value for him.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#175 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:03 am

I agree with Ichiro about the first peg to fall in at least another trade, or perhaps two was Dwight. The timing on the Eve of Draft Night makes me think there's other $$ getting shipped out to offset Mozgov's garbage contract in '19. I'm not trying to drink the Mitch kool-aid too much on this because this trade is very 'meh' for me, but he did accomplish a couple of things.

First and foremost, getting a cancer out of our locker room and by the same token, appeasing Kemba, amongst others. Secondly, he opened up money for 2018 and got a couple of picks for an aging vet and locker room problem.

This trade, in a vaccuum doesn't move the needle, but as a domino that kicks the next move or two, I'm cool with seeing what Mitch has up his sleeve.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#176 » by HornetJail » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:05 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I honestly thought that the Hornets were going to have to waive Dwight ... that no other team would trade anything of value for him.

I wish we had
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#177 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:08 am

Were a way better team than we were yesterday. Assuming Zeller can stay healthy.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#178 » by Effigy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:09 am

On the one hand, trading Dwights expiring for a two year deal doesn't hurt you, because you guys aren't signing anyone in the next two years anyway. But, Mozgov is part of that horrid 2016 free agent class. SO many teams are going to be looking to dump their mistake from that year: Luol Deng, Ryan Anderson, Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner, Joakim Noah, Myers Leonard, Alan Crabbe, Solomon Hill, etc, that I think you guys could have gotten a much better asset from one of those teams. Now the Nets can either clear room for two max free agents, or trade Dwight themselves to one of those teams for more than they paid. That's why I would be mad about this deal.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,405

Post#179 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 pm

After reading the comments about locker room dysfunction, specifically Kemba hating Dwight and the players siding with Kemba and Dwight not setting screens on critical plays, it seemed like Dwight simply had to go asap if we wanted to have any success next year.

I'm leaning more towards the idea we will not blow it up tonight and trade Kemba. It seems at this point we're at least going to try to give Borrego a chance to turn it around and shedding Dwight was a big part of that. If we were going full rebuild Dwight's presence would not be as big a deal (maybe even valuable as a tank commander) and at minimum it would have been smarter to see what teams might be willing to pay in January for his 'services' as a soon-to-be-expiring. The timing of this move suggests we're leaning toward being competitive, assuming we're executing a logical plan (not a given). Tonight will be very enlightening.
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#180 » by _tijo_ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:After reading the comments about locker room dysfunction, specifically Kemba hating Dwight and the players siding with Kemba and Dwight not setting screens on critical plays, it seemed like Dwight simply had to go asap if we wanted to have any success next year.

I'm leaning more towards the idea we will not blow it up tonight and trade Kemba. It seems at this point we're at least going to try to give Borrego a chance to turn it around and shedding Dwight was a big part of that. If we were going full rebuild Dwight's presence would not be as big a deal (maybe even valuable as a tank commander) and at minimum it would have been smarter to see what teams might be willing to pay in January for his 'services' as a soon-to-be-expiring. The timing of this move suggests we're leaning toward being competitive, assuming we're executing a logical plan (not a given). Tonight will be very enlightening.

I think it will be fascinating. If they really thought Dwight was the problem, I think this is a move as much for Batum as it was for Kemba. I think Mitch looked at it, found that he couldn't unload Batum's deal, so he looked at the factors that made him ineffective this year vs. previous years. And his conclusion was that he tried too much to adjust to Dwight instead of playing the game that made him effective alongside Kemba in the past. He's betting that getting rid of Dwight, and giving Borrego the player development will entice Kemba to stay to build with a on-the-rise group.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi

Return to Charlotte Hornets