Miles Bridges Arrested: Felony Domestic Violence, Wife Speaks Pg.85

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Re: OG Hornet: The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#1261 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 pm

I don't think that 170 number is in play, because that implies 5-year contract. The Hornets are not going to offer a Max contract to Miles. He would only get a Max contract if another team offered it and we matched. They can only offer 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1262 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:13 pm

If I had to bet, I think the number ends up coming in around four years 120 million, very similar to Gordon's contract. Slightly more than Terry's contract.

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1263 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:14 pm

No doubt the front office is going to have to do some salary-cap gymnastics in the next few years to accommodate the rising salaries of miles and lamelo, not to mention whatever happens with PJ Washington.

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#1264 » by Rich4114 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:18 pm

I would be livid if we didn’t resign Miles because of the Terry and Gordon contracts. Miles is a key piece and it’d be smart to resign him to his market worth as he’s clearly on the rise and our second best player behind LaMelo.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1265 » by Braggins » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:21 pm

I think the best use of cap space for this team is resigning the players they draft that end up panning out, so not resigning Miles to preserve cap space doesn't make much sense when there isn't another young player on the team that looks poised to be worth spending all that space on (I'm taking LaMelo's future max as a given and factoring it in before anything else fyi).

You obviously can't just sign anyone to huge contracts without risking hard capping yourself or locking yourself into a bad team, but thats why it was a such a bad idea to sign an aging Hayward to a huge deal (and stretch Batum). We'd basically be locked into this core if they near maxed Miles, but I would see the problem in that scenario being the 30+ mil a year committed to an aging and often injured Hayward (the Rozier extension doesn't help, but I think Haywards money is the bigger issue).

One of the main things I pointed out about why I hated the Hayward signing is because I thought there was a chance it could eventually cost the team the ability to resign one of the young guys if more than one broke out and the tension we are seeing right now with the Miles contract is basically that playing out. At this point I REALLY don't want to lose a player like Miles over a previous bad signing, so it might be best to just accept that this is the bed they made and bite the bullet if Miles camp wants to milk the most possible money out of the situation. It could obviously backfire, but I think I'd rather risk it than just lose a young player as talented as Miles.

I think I might be warming up to the idea of trying to move Hayward and Oubre for Westbrook's contract, but only if its purely a salary dump and the plan is to tell Westbrook to stay home. He would be an absolute disaster on the court here if they tried to play him though and I couldn't take having to deal with that on my main team (I watched most Lakers games this season, trust me we don't want this).
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#1266 » by HornetJail » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:29 pm

fatlever wrote:No doubt the front office is going to have to do some salary-cap gymnastics in the next few years to accommodate the rising salaries of miles and lamelo, not to mention whatever happens with PJ Washington.

Even with the current roster, Melo's contract shouldn't be an issue since his big boy contract kicks in when Hayward's comes off. The bigger question is whether we can built a roster that MJ would considering paying the tax for. I firmly believe that MJ would pay some tax for a solid 2nd round caliber team. Which I firmly believe we can be with a top 12ish center, some improvements to the bench, and a couple extra years of development.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#1267 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:32 pm

Even with Hayward Hornets are in no risk of losing Miles as a restricted free agent. We will remain below the tax. We can just cut Plumlee and Oubre if we want to keep Martin and stay below the tax. So we get to keep Miles and Martin and we stay below the tax even with Hayward on the books. The Batum stretch expires and Oubre and Plumlee will be off the books before PJ is a restricted free agent. So we won't lose him.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1268 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Dude isn't going anywhere
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1269 » by Braggins » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:08 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude isn't going anywhere

Lebron = LeGM
LaMelo = LaGM
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#1270 » by dmutombo321 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:51 pm

fatlever wrote:I don't think that 170 number is in play, because that implies 5-year contract. The Hornets are not going to offer a Max contract to Miles. He would only get a Max contract if another team offered it and we matched. They can only offer 4 years.

You're right. Only reason I mentioned that is that if another team approaches him with a 4 year max and Charlotte pivots to a sign and trade, I believe it would then enable bridges to ink for a 5th year on his way out the door, no differently than if Charlotte was retaining him themselves.

Hopefully your intuition proves prescient and no Max or near max offers come in making our concerns moot and allowing them to retain him reasonably. Obviously, even if clt doesn't have an appetite to max him, they should still scream from the hilltop that they'll match all offers to dissuade potential suitors.

If we're going to be hitching our wagon to bridges/ball/rozier as our best and three highest paid players long term, I just don't see that core being good enough to ever go on any deep post season runs. And there won't be enough money left to add another significant difference maker to the mix.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#1271 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1272 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:07 pm

A team is going to throw an offer out there even if they are 100% sure Charlotte is going to match.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
dmutombo321
Sixth Man

Post#1273 » by dmutombo321 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:28 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:A team is going to throw an offer out there even if they are 100% sure Charlotte is going to match.
Probably but not necessarily. It ties up a teams money and takes them out of the free agency game while to incumbent team milks the clock to mull matching the offer. So it behooves a team to be reasonably certain Charlotte won't match.

If I'm Charlotte, this is how I play things

1) Approach Bridges' camp and tell them privately that we're willing to give him a deal similar to Rozier's except for 5 years (20m per year escalating up to $25m/per in the later seasons along with incentive bonuses based on team wins, games played, averages, playoff runs, etc)
2) Tell him if he finds a team willing to pay him max or near max money to circle back to us and advise before signing the offer sheet to explore sign and trade options (allowing us to recoup some value and allowing him to get a 5th year).

luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,246

Post#1274 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:45 pm

fatlever wrote:I don't think that 170 number is in play, because that implies 5-year contract. The Hornets are not going to offer a Max contract to Miles. He would only get a Max contract if another team offered it and we matched. They can only offer 4 years.

We'd be stupid to lock ourselves in for a bigger contract for 5 years and 8% annual raises when we know we can match a smaller contract over 4 years and 5% raises. That'd be outbidding ourselves.

He's not Doncic or Morant level talent. No way he gets 5 years unless our front office is dumber than I give them credit for.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#1275 » by HornetJail » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:46 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:unless our front office is dumber than I give them credit for.

If I had a dollar for every time I said that over the last 18 years I might be able to afford to buy a house
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
amcoolio

Post#1276 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:58 pm

Only a 50k fine, general board about to seethe
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1277 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:01 pm

amcoolio wrote:Only a 50k fine, general board about to seethe

Bout what Steph got for throwing his right?
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
amcoolio

Post#1278 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:02 pm

As far as I can find this is his first ever fine and ejection. He apologized immediately and are working with the family. Handled right
dmutombo321
Sixth Man

Post#1279 » by dmutombo321 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:08 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:

We'd be stupid to lock ourselves in for a bigger contract for 5 years and 8% annual raises when we know we can match a smaller contract over 4 years and 5% raises. That'd be outbidding ourselves.

He's not Doncic or Morant level talent. No way he gets 5 years unless our front office is dumber than I give them credit for.

May be wrong but I think we're still able to offer a deal for up to 5 years without it necessarily having to be the max.

What's problematic imo is not the duration on a bridges deal but the dollars. If the money's not absurd, considering Miles youth, I'd have no aversion at all to 5 year duration on a prospective deal considering he'd still be in his 20s when it expired.

But if we're talking $30+mil a year, it's a bad idea no matter what

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1280 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:09 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Only a 50k fine, general board about to seethe

Bout what Steph got for throwing his right?

Pretty sure Curry was fined $25k.

So, why the 100% increase for Miles?
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets