ImageImage

Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop

User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 16,562
And1: 9,440
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#701 » by yosemiteben » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Honestly right now I'm very low on Miles. Super likable guy with an exciting game, but he's just wildly inconsistent and "having an identity crisis every time he catches the ball" is a great way to put it - he just doesn't look natural. I'd love for him to put it together, but I'm not confident he will.
User avatar
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,550
And1: 972
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#702 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:00 pm

This was his first year starting, thought he had his moments. Still only 22.

Think if he played with a more natural passer like a Ball or Rubio he would average another 4 ppg from day 1.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
James Gatz
Starter
Posts: 2,487
And1: 506
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#703 » by James Gatz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:15 pm

His defense is what has me so low on him. He's really one of the worst off ball defenders I've watched play for us. Never makes the right rotations.
User avatar
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,550
And1: 972
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#704 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:26 pm

James Gatz wrote:His defense is what has me so low on him. He's really one of the worst off ball defenders I've watched play for us. Never makes the right rotations.


He seems like a smart young man in interviews. Seems silly to give up on him at 22 because he doesn’t rotate right. Especially when we aren’t winning anything this year anyways, guys like JJ Redick, Lou Wil, Middleton, Tobias Harris all took a few years to figure out how to play defense.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 45,563
And1: 3,330
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#705 » by BigSlam » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:32 pm

James Gatz wrote:His defense is what has me so low on him. He's really one of the worst off ball defenders I've watched play for us. Never makes the right rotations.

Don’t the advance stats suggest he’s one of our better defenders?

The coaches sure think he is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBMF'ers
User avatar
James Gatz
Starter
Posts: 2,487
And1: 506
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#706 » by James Gatz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
James Gatz wrote:His defense is what has me so low on him. He's really one of the worst off ball defenders I've watched play for us. Never makes the right rotations.


He seems like a smart young man in interviews. Seems silly to give up on him at 22 because he doesn’t rotate right. Especially when we aren’t winning anything this year anyways, guys like JJ Redick, Lou Wil, Middleton, Tobias Harris all took a few years to figure out how to play defense.


The lack of improvement in that area from year 1 to year 2 makes me pessimistic that he improves. I love his interviews and he's a real hoot on twitter. I just think he needs to be a lock down defender since he's not likely to ever be more than a catch and shoot 3 and close out guy on offense.

This year is a big make or break for him. He's young and could certainly turn it around, but I'm not optimistic.
User avatar
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,550
And1: 972
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#707 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm

BigSlam wrote:
James Gatz wrote:His defense is what has me so low on him. He's really one of the worst off ball defenders I've watched play for us. Never makes the right rotations.

Don’t the advance stats suggest he’s one of our better defenders?

The coaches sure think he is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think his off ball defense is poor, but he is by far our best option to guard a Lebron or KD.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 7,219
And1: 2,984
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#708 » by DY_nasty » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:38 pm

Miles does all the right things til he gets on the court.

That's what makes it worse.... dude still acts like the game is too fast for him and he doesn't have a single comfort area on offense yet either. No PG is fixing that for him. And nah - Cody was a better defender across the board from day one.
User avatar
James Gatz
Starter
Posts: 2,487
And1: 506
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#709 » by James Gatz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:41 pm

BigSlam wrote:
James Gatz wrote:His defense is what has me so low on him. He's really one of the worst off ball defenders I've watched play for us. Never makes the right rotations.

Don’t the advance stats suggest he’s one of our better defenders?

The coaches sure think he is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Advanced stats rate him really poorly.

DPIPM has him as one of like the 20 worst defenders in the league.
Raptor has him in bottom 20%.
DRPM has him a little bit below average.

https://www.bball-index.com/2019-20-impact-metrics/
User avatar
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,550
And1: 972
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#710 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 pm

DY_nasty wrote:Miles does all the right things til he gets on the court.

That's what makes it worse.... dude still acts like the game is too fast for him and he doesn't have a single comfort area on offense yet either. No PG is fixing that for him. And nah - Cody was a better defender across the board from day one.


So wings that can average 13 ppg as sophomore are easy to find? Weird that Mikal Bridges is seen as a guy with more upside but can’t beat out Kelly Oubre or break double figures in ppg.

Same with Jon Issac who put up worse stats, but people think he has allstar potential.. oh and he is he older than Miles.

Don’t even get me started on Kevin Knox or Cam Reddish.

Oh and Miles went lower than all these guys in his draft...
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 10,855
And1: 5,458
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#711 » by Braggins » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:50 pm

I don't think advance stats are all that useful for young players who still are in the development stage. I definitely don't think he is a good defender overall right now, but the question is whether he could be good if he can learn to play. He would have to improve his awareness and understanding quite a bit to actually be a positive defender, but he has some of the tools you need and he still has some sneaky offensive upside.

I think hes kind of meh, personally, and I don't have a ton of faith in him developing into more than a solid role player, but he still has some upside and I don't think he has much value in a trade. I'd probably rather just see what he can develop into unless a team offers an overpay. Should have kept SGA.
User avatar
James Gatz
Starter
Posts: 2,487
And1: 506
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#712 » by James Gatz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:55 pm

I see him as backup 3/4 role player who puts up exciting highlights every now and then. That's not a horrible career but I had higher hopes for him when he was drafted.

I'd move him in the right deal as I don't think his value will be much higher as to people who don't watch closely he's a young wing with athleticism and shooting ability. When he's really an undersized 4 who has low feel for the game.

He'll be 10 year vet. I just don't see him as ever being a starter on a championship team.
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 7,219
And1: 2,984
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#713 » by DY_nasty » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:55 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:Miles does all the right things til he gets on the court.

That's what makes it worse.... dude still acts like the game is too fast for him and he doesn't have a single comfort area on offense yet either. No PG is fixing that for him. And nah - Cody was a better defender across the board from day one.


So wings that can average 13 ppg as sophomore are easy to find? Weird that Mikal Bridges is seen as a guy with more upside but can’t beat out Kelly Oubre or break double figures in ppg.

Same with Jon Issac who put up worse stats, but people think he has allstar potential.. oh and he is he older than Miles.

Don’t even get me started on Kevin Knox or Cam Reddish.

Oh and Miles went lower than all these guys in his draft...

If you want to discuss those guys individually instead of by the stat sheet, lets do it

Not every mid-teens ppg player is of the same caliber nor do they all develop the same. Cam Reddish has shown more development in one season than Miles has shown since his freshmen year in college man. And who here ever talks about Isaac or Knox? Don't give me a discussion packaged for somebody else :lol:

And yeah.... they are easy enough to find - to the point where everyone should be extremely hesitant when it comes to paying the guy after his rookie contract is up. Everyone here likes Miles as a person, but outside of being a great athlete he doesn't do one thing consistently well on the court as a guy who was supposed to be NBA ready and we've seen two other guys make different kinds of improvement here - Graham (huge MIP level improvement) and Monk (gradual improvement in just about every area).
User avatar
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,550
And1: 972
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#714 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:55 pm

Pretty sure that deal for SGA turned out to give us Graham, Bridges and 32nd pick in this draft.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 7,219
And1: 2,984
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#715 » by DY_nasty » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Pretty sure that deal for SGA turned out to give us Graham, Bridges and 32nd pick in this draft.

And we'd all wish for a do-over even with Graham playing out of his mind last year
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 16,562
And1: 9,440
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#716 » by yosemiteben » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm

My view on Bridges - not convinced he'll work out, but too early for me to give up.
User avatar
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,550
And1: 972
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#717 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:03 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:Miles does all the right things til he gets on the court.

That's what makes it worse.... dude still acts like the game is too fast for him and he doesn't have a single comfort area on offense yet either. No PG is fixing that for him. And nah - Cody was a better defender across the board from day one.


So wings that can average 13 ppg as sophomore are easy to find? Weird that Mikal Bridges is seen as a guy with more upside but can’t beat out Kelly Oubre or break double figures in ppg.

Same with Jon Issac who put up worse stats, but people think he has allstar potential.. oh and he is he older than Miles.

Don’t even get me started on Kevin Knox or Cam Reddish.

Oh and Miles went lower than all these guys in his draft...

If you want to discuss those guys individually instead of by the stat sheet, lets do it

Not every mid-teens ppg player is of the same caliber nor do they all develop the same. Cam Reddish has shown more development in one season than Miles has shown since his freshmen year in college man. And who here ever talks about Isaac or Knox? Don't give me a discussion packaged for somebody else :lol:

And yeah.... they are easy enough to find - to the point where everyone should be extremely hesitant when it comes to paying the guy after his rookie contract is up. Everyone here likes Miles as a person, but outside of being a great athlete he doesn't do one thing consistently well on the court as a guy who was supposed to be NBA ready and we've seen two other guys make different kinds of improvement here - Graham (huge MIP level improvement) and Monk (gradual improvement in just about every area).



So I mentioned these players as comps
Mikal (ignored)
Isaac (apparently you’re lower than most on him)
Knox (drafted higher than him same year)
Reddish (only guy you seem to want to actually talk about)

I’m trying to find guys at same position, same draft range to compare him to for expectations.

Seems like some people expect him to be averaging 20 a game by now as the 12th pick. I think he is progressing at a pretty natural player arch at this point for a guy taken in that range.

Kelly Oubre is a guy I mentioned to not even compare but if you do compare his first two years were pretty bad. Took him until third year to average double digits so Miles is already ahead of his career arch.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
JMAC3
Analyst
Posts: 3,550
And1: 972
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#718 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Pretty sure that deal for SGA turned out to give us Graham, Bridges and 32nd pick in this draft.

And we'd all wish for a do-over even with Graham playing out of his mind last year


Who peed in your cornflakes bro? Have a little positivity.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 10,855
And1: 5,458
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#719 » by Braggins » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Kind of off-topic, but it looks like Orlando let Isaac sabotage his career by letting him play on an injured knee that needed surgery so they could chase the Clifford special 8th seed into first round sweep. I do think he had a lot of potential because he was such a fantastic defender and had the possibility to be at least solid on offense, but he might already be cooked unfortunately.
MugzZo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,397
And1: 592
Joined: Mar 21, 2017

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#720 » by MugzZo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:40 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:Miles does all the right things til he gets on the court.

That's what makes it worse.... dude still acts like the game is too fast for him and he doesn't have a single comfort area on offense yet either. No PG is fixing that for him. And nah - Cody was a better defender across the board from day one.


So wings that can average 13 ppg as sophomore are easy to find? Weird that Mikal Bridges is seen as a guy with more upside but can’t beat out Kelly Oubre or break double figures in ppg.

Same with Jon Issac who put up worse stats, but people think he has allstar potential.. oh and he is he older than Miles.

Don’t even get me started on Kevin Knox or Cam Reddish.

Oh and Miles went lower than all these guys in his draft...
I'm with you jmac. I'd hate to see miles traded on draft night. I personally believe he's gonna be about 17 and 7 this year and that's nothing to scoff at for a 22 23ish player.

Return to Charlotte Hornets