ImageImage

Birdland Presents: The Miles Bridges Thread

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop, BigSlam, JDR720

User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#841 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:23 am

Imagine being so used to having trash players on your roster that you want to lock up a wing who scores 9 points a game to a long term deal.

Unremarkable defender, doesn't get to the FT line, doesn't really set up other guys for buckets, can't really beat his man off the dribble. He's a wholly replaceable guy.

Seriously, Caleb **** Martin can replace what Miles does, yet people want to give him $10 million+ a year.

Such a terrible mindset

I'd already rather have Bey, Okoro, Bane, Tillman, and Williams from this trash draft class than Miles. He's a true example of a JAG player.
Image
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#842 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:28 am

SWedd523 wrote:Imagine being so used to having trash players on your roster that you want to lock up a wing who scores 9 points a game to a long term deal.

Unremarkable defender, doesn't get to the FT line, doesn't really set up other guys for buckets, can't really beat his man off the dribble. He's a wholly replaceable guy.

Seriously, Caleb **** Martin can replace what Miles does, yet people want to give him $10 million+ a year.

Such a terrible mindset

I'd already rather have Bey, Okoro, Bane, Tillman, and Williams from this trash draft class than Miles. He's a true example of a JAG player.


You would rather have the 5th pick making 5.3 Million over a guy drafted 12th who is going to be making 10+ Million. Hot take alert.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#843 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:34 am

DY_nasty wrote:this really doesn't address anything i'm talking about tho. nor did i get into other positions outside of the remarks where people act like miles is worth keeping around for his ability to play or guard the 4 - he can't anyways but we've got a better natural 4 in PJ

and the biggest fault in this logic of looking around the league at bad deals/signings is assuming we have to do the same thing. i have no idea why that's the guard rail each time you pull from an argument. its lazy. "we should keep miles because we could be the team signing solomon hill"

or

OR we could not. that's an option too. you know - being the good team that doesn't make a dumb signing and hamstring itself out of fear/risk aversion. it'd be nice to have that good team.


I did not simply pull only good deals/bad deals. I pretty much pulled every single guy who plays forward between 10-18 and under 7 who are not on rookie deals. Miles Averaged 13ppg as a starter last year in his second year before moving to a different role. Brandon Clark is averaging 13 ppg while starting for JJJ in his second year. If he gets moved to the bench, the Grizzlies should probably not resign him because JJJ is the starting 4, so why would you ever need another 4 man who is worse.....
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#844 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 am

JMAC3 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Imagine being so used to having trash players on your roster that you want to lock up a wing who scores 9 points a game to a long term deal.

Unremarkable defender, doesn't get to the FT line, doesn't really set up other guys for buckets, can't really beat his man off the dribble. He's a wholly replaceable guy.

Seriously, Caleb **** Martin can replace what Miles does, yet people want to give him $10 million+ a year.

Such a terrible mindset

I'd already rather have Bey, Okoro, Bane, Tillman, and Williams from this trash draft class than Miles. He's a true example of a JAG player.


You would rather have the 5th pick making 5.3 Million over a guy drafted 12th who is going to be making 10+ Million. Hot take alert.

5 guys in a trash draft at the same position who are already better basketball players.

Yeah, let's definitely lock him up long term. Thanks for the capology lesson Marty Hurney :lol:
Image
Chapelchilla
Senior
Posts: 746
And1: 387
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#845 » by Chapelchilla » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 am

I think the positives outweigh the negatives with Miles and that he will continue to improve. Seems like a good guy and he has charisma, that is not nothing in a league that wants to sell tickets next year. Marketing matters too. I am ok with resigning for a reasonable contract, say 12 or hopefully under that. I bet he gets more elsewhere and that is fine too. I don't mind trading him beforehand but he is an already solid NBA player at 22 who should be better sooner then later.
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#846 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:52 am

SWedd523 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Imagine being so used to having trash players on your roster that you want to lock up a wing who scores 9 points a game to a long term deal.

Unremarkable defender, doesn't get to the FT line, doesn't really set up other guys for buckets, can't really beat his man off the dribble. He's a wholly replaceable guy.

Seriously, Caleb **** Martin can replace what Miles does, yet people want to give him $10 million+ a year.

Such a terrible mindset

I'd already rather have Bey, Okoro, Bane, Tillman, and Williams from this trash draft class than Miles. He's a true example of a JAG player.


You would rather have the 5th pick making 5.3 Million over a guy drafted 12th who is going to be making 10+ Million. Hot take alert.

5 guys in a trash draft at the same position who are already better basketball players.

Yeah, let's definitely lock him up long term. Thanks for the capology lesson Marty Hurney :lol:


You need to look at the bigger picture man. Who cares if Okoro isn't good 9 games into his career, he was one of the youngest players drafted. Miles has 2 more years before we have to make a decision on him, hell we could draft an amazing forward in this draft coming up and maybe people will be more on board with your thought process, but for now Miles is too good to give up on.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#847 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:58 am

Only fans of the Charlotte Hornets consider the living embodiment of "Meh" as "too good to give up on".

Lmao bro and you have the audacity to talk about hot takes
Image
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#848 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:10 am

SWedd523 wrote:Only fans of the Charlotte Hornets consider the living embodiment of "Meh" as "too good to give up on".

Lmao bro and you have the audacity to talk about hot takes


Do some research man.

MIkal Bridges first two years very meh... breaking out third year
CJ McCollum first two years couldn't get on court. broke out third year going from under 7 ppg to nearly 21 ppg.
Kelly Oubre first two years very meh... broke out 4th year
Domantas Sabonis 11 ppg his second year
TJ Warren 11 ppg his second year
Kawhi Leonard averaged 12 ppg his second year....
Paul George averaged 12 ppg his second year...

All these players picked late lottery were nothing special after two years in their careers. Quit treating Miles like he was the 3rd pick and was supposed to dominate from day 1. It is wayyyyyyy to early to be giving up on him, not guaranteeing he turns into a superstar, but to say he can't get better when we have this much data to back up guys can turn it around is foolish.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#849 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:19 am

SWedd523 wrote:Imagine being so used to having trash players on your roster that you want to lock up a wing who scores 9 points a game to a long term deal.



Good thing we aren't signing him today huh, maybe something will change over the next 130+ games we see him play and maybe just maybe he will continue to improve.

He is playing 5 less minutes this year due to our team just being better (Hayward), but Miles per 36 numbers (again just to compare his production on a per minute basis are up all across the board nearly).

Things that are better
Three pt percentage is up
EFG% is up
Rebs are up
Assists are up
Blocks are up
Steals are up


Things are that are worse

Turnovers are up
FTA are down
Shot attempts per game are down.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#850 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:25 am

Well, Miles isn't in his second year but thanks (I guess?) for giving me that exhaustive list of guys who also didn't put up All-Star numbers in their second year.

Maybe I'm just missing the point, can you find me a comparable AA Baseball reference to really help drive it home? Maybe professional Ultimate Frisbee will be more applicable?
Image
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#851 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 am

SWedd523 wrote:Well, Miles isn't in his second year but thanks (I guess?) for giving me that exhaustive list of guys who also didn't put up All-Star numbers in their second year.

Maybe I'm just missing the point, can you find me a comparable AA Baseball reference to really help drive it home? Maybe professional Ultimate Frisbee will be more applicable?


My point is Miles had equivalent or better second season than those guys on the list. He is 10 games into his third year bro.... this season is just getting started and he could turn in a really good season is my point. I am sure half those guys on that list I just posted probably didn't come out and score 20+ every night in the first 10 games of their third season...

You can make some jokes about me comparing sports, but how often do I show up without any stats to back up what I am saying? I just laid out cold hard numbers that show what I am saying and you have nothing to respond with because you do not want to put the energy in that I just did.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#852 » by DY_nasty » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:46 am

lol

i mean..... even among wings who've come and gone for THIS team - where does he stand? He's not even Gerald Henderson good. And we shouldn't have kept Henderson as long as we did either.

I don't even like saying those guys listed 'broke out' either because they showed some real stuff worth investing in, were forced into certain roles, or were stuck behind other guys. These lists thrown around really lack context. How many guys get as many minutes as Miles with such bad production? And its not like he brings intangibles to the court on a nightly basis either.

I don't even get the point in making charts saying 'rebounds are up' when a skinny kid shows up and makes rebounding look easy while we've waited patiently for Miles to crash the boards hard more than once a month. Its just pedantic as all hell. Assists up while turnovers skyrocket means he shouldn't even doing anything with the ball other than catch and shoot or driving right away. Blocks and Steals are up but he's a layup line and when teams decide not to respect #smallball he's powerless to stop them. And if you want to go compare Per 36 - okay, sure. He's essentially the same guy he was his rookie year. Soooooooooo..... eh?

Just believe in him? okay. I guess. Not really feeling the idea of letting another 1st round pick depreciate in value til we get nothing for the trouble again.

Coming off the bench was supposed to make things easier for him according to some people too. But he's not even an energy guy. Both the twins go harder.
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#853 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:58 am

DY_nasty wrote:lol

i mean..... even among wings who've come and gone for THIS team - where does he stand? He's not even Gerald Henderson good. And we shouldn't have kept Henderson as long as we did either.

I don't even like saying those guys listed 'broke out' either because they showed some real stuff worth investing in, were forced into certain roles, or were stuck behind other guys. These lists thrown around really lack context. How many guys get as many minutes as Miles with such bad production? And its not like he brings intangibles to the court on a nightly basis either.

I don't even get the point in making charts saying 'rebounds are up' when a skinny kid shows up and makes rebounding look easy while we've waited patiently for Miles to crash the boards hard more than once a month. Its just pedantic as all hell. Assists up while turnovers skyrocket means he shouldn't even doing anything with the ball other than catch and shoot or driving right away. Blocks and Steals are up but he's a layup line and when teams decide not to respect #smallball he's powerless to stop them. And if you want to go compare Per 36 - okay, sure. He's essentially the same guy he was his rookie year. Soooooooooo..... eh?

Just believe in him? okay. I guess. Not really feeling the idea of letting another 1st round pick depreciate in value til we get nothing for the trouble again.

Coming off the bench was supposed to make things easier for him according to some people too. But he's not even an energy guy. Both the twins go harder.


A lot to unpack here.

Miles first two years way better than Henderson.

When you say really lack context... you are saying you can create a narrative that fits why the stats don't matter and argue for each guy individually. Sounds like something that you would be forced into doing because that is a lot of examples that fit criteria for guys drafted in his range over last 6 drafts or so. Not cherrypicked all over the place.

Yeah, because LaMelo is a great rebounder lets punish Miles lol. Luka leads the Mavs in rebounding nearly every game, I guess that means all the other players on Mavs are just horrible rebounders to let that happen.

If you watch the tape his passing has taken a major step forward regardless what numbers say, it is not just me saying it. It is every beat reporter/hornets film junkie making the same connection. Not going to freak out because the guy is averaging 1.8 turnovers a game lol.

Coming off the bench/playing fewer minutes with more guys who need the ball in their hands then he did last year (Hayward and BAll) was never going to realistically lead him to doubling his scoring to 25 a night. However, he continues to improve in the margins (3 point shooting, defense, passing) then yeah that is pretty good player.

My goal for Miles is that the shooting improvements continue, he develops into one of the best forwards off the bench and can average 12-14 ppg while providing solid defense on good efficiency. That is easily worth 10-15 Million in the league and based on what I have seen from him I do not see any reason he can't get there.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#854 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:12 am

JMAC3 wrote:I just laid out cold hard numbers that show what I am saying and you have nothing to respond with because you do not want to put the energy in that I just did.


How DARE I do such a thing! Incomprehensible! What kind of **** would take something a person says and distill it down to a ridiculously reductive statement that has nothing to do with the point they were making?!

Wait......

JMAC3 wrote:[You would rather have the 5th pick making 5.3 Million over a guy drafted 12th who is going to be making 10+ Million. Hot take alert.


Image
Image
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#855 » by DY_nasty » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am

'Miles first two years way better than Henderson'. slow down cowboy

bro. henderson wasn't even allowed on the court his first two years because we had raja bell and larry hughes. then stephen jackson after that. i knew you'd jump at that :lol:

and outside of not shooting 3s, he did everything better than miles (outside of rebound because we had more than enough people to do the job at the time). point is, again, we shouldn't have held onto the guy as long as we did - and he was better.

i don't even know what you think i'm 'cherry picking' either. if anything you're the one always going back to "what about x player who didn't see the court because reasons i won't discuss because it'll shake my argument" lol

edit: lol
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#856 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17 am

SWedd523 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I just laid out cold hard numbers that show what I am saying and you have nothing to respond with because you do not want to put the energy in that I just did.


How DARE I do such a thing! Incomprehensible! What kind of **** would take something a person says and distill it down to a ridiculously reductive statement that has nothing to do with the point they were making?!

Wait......

JMAC3 wrote:[You would rather have the 5th pick making 5.3 Million over a guy drafted 12th who is going to be making 10+ Million. Hot take alert.


Image


Not even sure what point you are trying to make, other than attempting to change the subject. Have a nice night man.

Feel bad for your kids/future kids. "He can't make a left handed layup at age 7, I think it is time to pull him out of basketball he isn't going to get better".
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,259
And1: 1,745
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#857 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:18 am

DY_nasty wrote:lol

i mean..... even among wings who've come and gone for THIS team - where does he stand? He's not even Gerald Henderson good. And we shouldn't have kept Henderson as long as we did either.

I don't even like saying those guys listed 'broke out' either because they showed some real stuff worth investing in, were forced into certain roles, or were stuck behind other guys. These lists thrown around really lack context. How many guys get as many minutes as Miles with such bad production? And its not like he brings intangibles to the court on a nightly basis either.

I don't even get the point in making charts saying 'rebounds are up' when a skinny kid shows up and makes rebounding look easy while we've waited patiently for Miles to crash the boards hard more than once a month. Its just pedantic as all hell. Assists up while turnovers skyrocket means he shouldn't even doing anything with the ball other than catch and shoot or driving right away. Blocks and Steals are up but he's a layup line and when teams decide not to respect #smallball he's powerless to stop them. And if you want to go compare Per 36 - okay, sure. He's essentially the same guy he was his rookie year. Soooooooooo..... eh?

Just believe in him? okay. I guess. Not really feeling the idea of letting another 1st round pick depreciate in value til we get nothing for the trouble again.

Coming off the bench was supposed to make things easier for him according to some people too. But he's not even an energy guy. Both the twins go harder.


the Hornets version of Stockholm Syndrome dictates we need to resign Miles, at pay him starting SF money (despite not being a good starter), because hey maybe by the time he's 30, he'll make that leap
Image
User avatar
JMAC3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,161
And1: 1,238
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#858 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:21 am

DY_nasty wrote:'Miles first two years way better than Henderson'. slow down cowboy

bro. henderson wasn't even allowed on the court his first two years because we had raja bell and larry hughes. then stephen jackson after that. i knew you'd jump at that :lol:

and outside of not shooting 3s, he did everything better than miles (outside of rebound because we had more than enough people to do the job at the time). point is, again, we shouldn't have held onto the guy as long as we did - and he was better.

i don't even know what you think i'm 'cherry picking' either. if anything you're the one always going back to "what about x player who didn't see the court because reasons i won't discuss because it'll shake my argument" lol

edit: lol


Right then Henderson played on some of the worst teams ever as a guy who had plays called for him like he was Kobe Bryant that help make his stats look somewhat reasonable. Facts are Bridges was better than Henderson his first two years regardless of who Henderson had to sit behind.

I am logging off so why don't you and Swedd actually comment on each others posts for a bit instead of both arguing with me all the time haha.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#859 » by DY_nasty » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:21 am

hey man we may get another dominic mcquire-esque performance. you never know
DY_nasty
General Manager
Posts: 9,369
And1: 4,944
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#860 » by DY_nasty » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:23 am

JMAC3 wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:'Miles first two years way better than Henderson'. slow down cowboy

bro. henderson wasn't even allowed on the court his first two years because we had raja bell and larry hughes. then stephen jackson after that. i knew you'd jump at that :lol:

and outside of not shooting 3s, he did everything better than miles (outside of rebound because we had more than enough people to do the job at the time). point is, again, we shouldn't have held onto the guy as long as we did - and he was better.

i don't even know what you think i'm 'cherry picking' either. if anything you're the one always going back to "what about x player who didn't see the court because reasons i won't discuss because it'll shake my argument" lol

edit: lol


Right then Henderson played on some of the worst teams ever as a guy who had plays called for him like he was Kobe Bryant that help make his stats look somewhat reasonable. Facts are Bridges was better than Henderson his first two years regardless of who Henderson had to sit behind.

I am logging off so why don't you and Swedd actually comment on each others posts for a bit instead of both arguing with me all the time haha.

this shouldn't make you so mad :roll:

and no - henderson was easily better. even if he refused to shoot 3s he didn't dribble off his feet while going in a straight line like miles does. and you know, the whole actually playing defense thing.

Return to Charlotte Hornets