Fake Trade Thread 2

Moderators: yosemiteben, JDR720, fatlever, Diop, BigSlam

LofJ
General Manager
And1: 5,554

Re: Fake Trade Thread 2 

Post#1301 » by LofJ » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Bassman wrote:
LofJ wrote:The Raptors wanted Batum in the summer of 2016.

I wonder if they'd be interested in trading Ibaka for him? Mitch would probably have to provide incentive for the extra year, but depending on how Monk and/or Bacon look I think it would be worth considering including one of them just to get Batum out of Charlotte.

Don’t know what Ibaka has left in the tank but he’d be an upgrade on sheer attitude alone. I’d love to do this if it was a straight trade. No giving away picks to just get dead expensive weight outta town.

There aren't any big fish UFAs to sign next summer, so the Raptors would likely be interested in rolling over some of their cap space for an additional year. The question then becomes what would Mitch be willing to give up to move Batum. At the very least I think we would have to offer to include Monk or Bacon and/or the Cleveland 2nd.

I'd offer them Batum, Monk/Bacon, and the Cleveland 2nd for Ibaka and their 2020 1st. And if they don't want to do the pick swap I'd still consider it because the best players in the 2020 draft are guards. Moving Batum and Monk/Bacon would open up playing time for whoever we draft next summer as well as Bridges and Washington.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Post#1302 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Id rather let the Batum contract ride out before I get rid of a promising player in Bacon that we nabbed in the 2nd round.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LofJ
General Manager

Post#1303 » by LofJ » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Id rather let the Batum contract ride out before I get rid of a promising player in Bacon that we nabbed in the 2nd round.

I understand wanting to keep Bacon in Charlotte, but he's due for a payday. How much do you think Mitch/MJ should be willing to pay him next summer?
SWedd523
General Manager
And1: 1,076

Post#1304 » by SWedd523 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:08 pm

LofJ wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Id rather let the Batum contract ride out before I get rid of a promising player in Bacon that we nabbed in the 2nd round.

I understand wanting to keep Bacon in Charlotte, but he's due for a payday. How much do you think Mitch/MJ should be willing to pay him next summer?

At first I read that as you saying Batum.

"He's not being serious, right?"

After re-reading:

I doubt Bacon will be demanding too much money. Even if he shows moderate improvement we still aren't hitting six figure annual salary IMO
Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
And1: 1,232

Post#1305 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:37 pm

There is not a single player on this roster that I consider truly untradeable.

There are guys like Miles and PJ where I would be pretty skeptical of most offers. They are young and have enough star potential that any deal would have to be amazingly good to really consider it. I might call this group 'almost untradeable.'

For me Bacon falls in a middle ground between that and 'would trade in a heartbeat.' I like Bacon's trajectory, his chemistry with other young guys on the team, and the fact that he's looking like a rare 2nd round pick that will make it. But honestly, he hasn't shown enough to really be in that top tier of 'almost untradeable.'

I wouldn't include him in the proposed Ibaka deal. Better to ride out Batum than throw an asset in just to get rid of him.
Hope is free.
LofJ
General Manager

Post#1306 » by LofJ » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Bacon won't be an asset at all starting next season unless we sign him to a bargain contract. It makes sense to sell high on him because we have two other wing players in Bridges and Washington that aren't due for a big pay raise and have just as much (if not more) potential.

And let's remember that we got into our current situation by paying our solid players before we paid a player worth building around. Ideally, you need two of those players, but we don't have a single one. So I don't see the wisdom in paying a good, but not great player in Bacon when the team's future is going to be in flux over the next few years. We aren't in a position where it makes sense to pay for good depth.

I think pairing Bacon with Marvin is enough value to tempt at least one team into sending a 1st round pick back. If I were Mitch Kupchak it would be my main pitch.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 6,857

Post#1307 » by yosemiteben » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Meh, I think no one in the league knows who Bacon is so I'm more optimistic that he'd have value on his next contract for us. I think that's much more likely than us getting any real value in a trade for him as an expiring.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
And1: 1,232

Post#1308 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Everyone loves Bacon.

Hope is free.

Return to Charlotte Hornets