ImageImage

Kemba's staying no matter what, right or wrong?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

What should we do?

A) trade Kemba for young players, picks or cap relief?
47%
B) trade assets to get Kemba help?
44%
C) wait until the summer to make any decisions?
9%

Total votes: 34

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Kemba's staying no matter what, right or wrong? 

Post#1 » by 316Hornets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 am

What a collapse tonight and our leader was nowhere to be found. Now, we see other East teams gearing up for their playoff runs and we are sitting in no man's land as usual. Is it time to trade Kemba?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Re: Should we trade Kemba before it's too late? 

Post#2 » by frothbrain » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:23 am

Yes. Even if the Hornets don't they should NOT give him anything close to 30 mil/year.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#3 » by yosemiteben » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:34 am

Little too reactionary here, pump the brakes.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by 316Hornets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:41 am

yosemiteben wrote:Little too reactionary here.

Lose to the Bulls 112-110. Kemba scores 23 points, goes 3-9 in the 2nd half.

Lose to the Cavs 113-89. Kemba scores 7 points, goes 2-8 in the 2nd half.

Lose to the Hawks 124-123. Kemba scores 22 points, goes 5-10 in the 2nd half.

Lose to the Pelicans 119-109. Kemba scores 13 points, goes 2-7 in the 3rd quarter (no shots in the 4th).

Lose to the Knicks 126-124. Kemba scores 16 points, goes 1-13 in the 2nd half and OT.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#5 » by Eoghan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 am

I can only guess at his perceived value but b/c of his contract I can only assume that it's already too late. Locking up the face of the franchise is probably > than what another team would trade us for him. Letting him walk for nothing is the real danger.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#6 » by yosemiteben » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:55 am

316Hornets wrote:

Lose to the Pelicans 119-109. Kemba scores 13 points, goes 2-7 in the 3rd quarter (no shots in the 4th).

Lose to the Knicks 126-124. Kemba scores 16 points, goes 1-13 in the 2nd half and OT.

So trade him and completely change the direction of our franchise over five games?
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by 316Hornets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:57 am

yosemiteben wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

So trade him and completely change the direction of our franchise over five games?

Those losses put me over the edge. This team is going nowhere fast and this is a great time to rebuild behind a new coach. Kemba isn't able to excel here as it's him vs. the world. If we trade him and get some assets, him and the Hornets are likely to be in a better place for the future.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#8 » by yosemiteben » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:01 am

I mean that's a fine opinion, but I completely disagree and if Lamb made just one of all those bricked shots in Q4 and we won I doubt you'd be here posting this thread. Thus me saying pump the brakes.

I'm as frustrated as anyone at Kemba right now, but c'mon now
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by 316Hornets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:02 am

yosemiteben wrote:I mean that's a fine opinion, but I completely disagree and if Lamb made just one of all those bricked shots in Q4 and we won I doubt you'd be here posting this thread. Thus me saying pump the brakes.

I'm as frustrated as anyone at Kemba right now, but c'mon now

We've lost to the Bulls, Cavs, Hawks, and Knicks. How many teams in the league have lost to more than one of those teams? My guess is not many or none.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#10 » by Splitta » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:59 pm

IMO it is a risk reward situation. If you pay Kemba you will have no money to pay Lamb or any other free agent, thus the team will probably be worse unless Bridges or Monk break out and become consistent scorers. Batum and Marv are getting older and CZ is what he is, a hustle player with limited BB skills and probably should be a bench player. If you make the trade with Denver and get a good young player like Murray to go with Bridges/Monk, I think the team will actually be better pretty quickly and in a year or 2 Batum, Marv, and hopefully CZ will be gone. I like Kemba but at his size I don't think he will be effective as he ages and would not want to be stuck with another Batum type contract.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#11 » by stinger14 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Organization needs to get more talent around him, or trade him. I prefer to put assets on the table to get talent around him, but if the team isn't going to do that then trade him.

I'm not really on board with the Denver trade though
SeanBobcats
Senior
And1: 172

Post#12 » by SeanBobcats » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 pm

If a good enough offer doesn't come then no. What exactly a good enough offer is depends on your perspective, but I don't expect that offer to come. If we wanted to trade him, it really should have happened early last season.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,402

Post#13 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Overreaction for sure. If this same poll had been up yesterday it would have been 90% don't trade.

Our late game problems aren't all Kemba, and to fix them it's going to take putting better players around him (either through development of Miles/Monk/Graham, trades, future drafts, whatever) before we start closing games better as a team. Until that happens it's always going to be 'give it to Kemba/Parker or maybe Lamb/Monk and see what happens' in crunch time which, yes, sucks a lot.

You're getting peanuts at this point if you trade the best player in franchise history, and you set fan interest back at least 2-3 years barring a miraculous run of lotto luck. To be honest a full blown Process-style rebuild runs a serious risk of franchise relocation if it flops yet again. The only way I would trade Kemba is if he marches into Mitch's office and says "I won't be back. I'll stay quiet for now, but trade me while you can." I really hope he'd give us that courtesy at least if he's certain an exit is imminent.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#14 » by GoBobs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:23 pm

The refs played a big part in the loss last night. I see guys in most of our games getting raked across the arms on drives and no call. It is like they allow hand checking on kemba and lamb sometimes. Last night there was a play where lamb gets hacked and you could see him ask the official if he saw his arm getting grabbed which was obvious on the replay, no call. Last night the knicks shot 31 free throws and we only get 10 for the game, wtf?

The important thing is we continue to improve as a team.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#15 » by yosemiteben » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Can't blame that train wreck of a Q4 on the refs.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#16 » by Soul Rebel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Nah. That's not to say that I don't get the reasoning why if it did happen...but nope.

Rather than trade Kemba, I'd rather trade Lamb while his stock is super high right now. He's been playing lights out for the past month or so...strike while the iron is hot.

Surround KW with a talent that is locked in and get something of value before Lamb expires.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 316Hornets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 pm

GoBobs wrote:The refs played a big part in the loss last night. I see guys in most of our games getting raked across the arms on drives and no call. It is like they allow hand checking on kemba and lamb sometimes. Last night there was a play where lamb gets hacked and you could see him ask the official if he saw his arm getting grabbed which was obvious on the replay, no call. Last night the knicks shot 31 free throws and we only get 10 for the game, wtf?

The important thing is we continue to improve as a team.

It's so weird that the NBA doesn't give us calls when the GOAT is sitting courtside watching.

Either way, our guys need to TOUGHEN UP. Where are our bruisers? Refs let the other teams get away with fouling, send a message. Simple as that. Who is the last guy on this team that has ever sent a message with a hard foul?
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#18 » by bravor » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:44 pm

I could not agree more. Even if i dont like dirty plays, you need someone who is not shy from doing hard fouls regulary.

But yesterday some no calls have been critical in the 4 (the one i remember the most being the charge not called on Vonleh)
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#19 » by Splitta » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 am

Hornet Mania wrote:Overreaction for sure. If this same poll had been up yesterday it would have been 90% don't trade.

Our late game problems aren't all Kemba, and to fix them it's going to take putting better players around him (either through development of Miles/Monk/Graham, trades, future drafts, whatever) before we start closing games better as a team. Until that happens it's always going to be 'give it to Kemba/Parker or maybe Lamb/Monk and see what happens' in crunch time which, yes, sucks a lot.

You're getting peanuts at this point if you trade the best player in franchise history, and you set fan interest back at least 2-3 years barring a miraculous run of lotto luck. To be honest a full blown Process-style rebuild runs a serious risk of franchise relocation if it flops yet again. The only way I would trade Kemba is if he marches into Mitch's office and says "I won't be back. I'll stay quiet for now, but trade me while you can." I really hope he'd give us that courtesy at least if he's certain an exit is imminent.

If we resign Kemba to close to the max, how will we be able to put better talent around him since signing him will put us over the cap. We will also likely lose Lamb to free agency and I highly doubt the misfit trio of Batum, Marv, and CZ can be traded and I expect will be even worse if that is possible. We are in a bad situation and the only hope is to get something for Kemba while he has at least some value.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#20 » by JMAC3 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:07 am

If we were going to trade Kemba we should of done it in offseason and actually been bad this year for Zion and Barrett. Now we are in no mans land in standings and can’t out tank the bad teams.

I think we are better off trying to trade for another player to pair with Kemba, then use our expirings mid season next year to get a 3rd piece.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!

Return to Charlotte Hornets