ImageImage

Kemba's staying no matter what, right or wrong?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

What should we do?

A) trade Kemba for young players, picks or cap relief?
47%
B) trade assets to get Kemba help?
44%
C) wait until the summer to make any decisions?
9%

Total votes: 34

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Should we trade Kemba before it's too late? (new poll pg. 3) 

Post#81 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Next season Kemba Walker is turning into John Wall
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#82 » by 316Hornets » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Next season Kemba Walker is turning into John Wall

He's at that age where he should start declining. He does seem to keep his body in better shape than Wall, so his decline might not happen as quickly. The biggest key for Kemba will be avoiding any devastating leg injuries because if he loses his speed, he'll be Raymond Felton bad.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#83 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 am

316Hornets wrote:

He's at that age where he should start declining. He does seem to keep his body in better shape than Wall, so his decline might not happen as quickly. The biggest key for Kemba will be avoiding any devastating leg injuries because if he loses his speed, he'll be Raymond Felton bad.

Felton was never the shooter that Kemba is.

Nor was he as good with the ball or at driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#84 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:06 am

He's on track to make the all star team too, so he's going to be eligible for the 221m super max contract, making it really awkward to re-sign him

Yes he loves it here playing with the Hornets, but will he really leave money on the table if another team outbids the Hornets for him? Highly unlikely, since it is his first and probably also last big contract of his career, he'll likely want to get paid. I don't think it is a coincidence that he is having a career year this year of all years
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,616

Post#85 » by fatlever » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 am

Topofthekey wrote:He's on track to make the all star team too, so he's going to be eligible for the 221m super max contract, making it really awkward to re-sign him

Yes he loves it here playing with the Hornets, but will he really leave money on the table if another team outbids the Hornets for him? Highly unlikely, since it is his first and probably also last big contract of his career, he'll likely want to get paid. I don't think it is a coincidence that he is having a career year this year of all years
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the supermax qualifications are related to the all-nba team and not the All-Star Game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#86 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:03 am

fatlever wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:He's on track to make the all star team too, so he's going to be eligible for the 221m super max contract, making it really awkward to re-sign him

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the supermax qualifications are related to the all-nba team and not the All-Star Game.

Kemba has to make an all nba team. And with Curry, Lillard, etc and us maybe missing the playoffs that probably wont happen.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#87 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 am

316Hornets wrote:

Kyle Lowry has played pretty damn well up into his 30s and hes not near Kembas shape. Walker is also a great shooter. Felton comp is pretty bad.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by 316Hornets » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:08 am

fatlever wrote:

What 6 guards are going to be selected before Kemba?

Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Irving, Oladipo, Lillard?

A few more high scoring games and I think Kemba beats out Lillard. With the ASG in Charlotte, Kemba will probably ball out and get recognition there that helps him seal it.

*edit George is apparently a F, so I guess Oladipo and Lillard would be the two he'd have to beat.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by 316Hornets » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:08 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

Kyle Lowry has played pretty damn well up into his 30s and hes not near Kembas shape. Walker is also a great shooter. Felton comp is pretty bad.

He's a great shooter because he can lose his man due to his athleticism. Without that, he won't be able to get any spacing and his % will plummet.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by 316Hornets » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:14 am

Kemba has to finish in top 6 of guards to make All-NBA and get the contract that could make us the next Washington Wizards. All NBA is conducted by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada.

Here are the all star votes for guards, note that the 5-7 West guys won't have as many votes since they go to the top guys.

West
1. Stephen Curry (GSW), 2,094,158 votes

2. Derrick Rose (MIN), 1,986,840 votes

3. James Harden (HOU), 1,674,660 votes

4. Russell Westbrook (OKC), 1,494,382 votes

5. Klay Thompson (GSW), 706,960 votes

6. Damian Lillard (POR), 610,839 votes

7. DeMar DeRozan (SAS), 594,012 votes

East
1. Kyrie Irving (BOS), 2,381,901 votes

2. Dwyane Wade (MIA), 1,199,789 votes

3. Kemba Walker (CHA), 858,798 votes

4. Ben Simmons (PHI), 695,032 votes

5. Victor Oladipo (IND), 567,893 votes

6. Kyle Lowry (TOR), 488,825 votes
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#91 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 am

fatlever wrote:

Yep. Some are confusing the veteran "supermax" with an old criteria for the "designated rookie" extension. The All-Star requirement is a relic of the 2011 CBA anyway, and has since been replaced by DPOY. So unless Kemba really improves his defense, his only real shot is as an All-NBA player.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,399

Post#92 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:30 pm

316Hornets wrote:Kemba has to finish in top 6 of guards to make All-NBA and get the contract that could make us the next Washington Wizards. All NBA is conducted by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada.

Here are the all star votes for guards, note that the 5-7 West guys won't have as many votes since they go to the top guys.

West
1. Stephen Curry (GSW), 2,094,158 votes

2. Derrick Rose (MIN), 1,986,840 votes

3. James Harden (HOU), 1,674,660 votes

4. Russell Westbrook (OKC), 1,494,382 votes

5. Klay Thompson (GSW), 706,960 votes

6. Damian Lillard (POR), 610,839 votes

7. DeMar DeRozan (SAS), 594,012 votes

East
1. Kyrie Irving (BOS), 2,381,901 votes

2. Dwyane Wade (MIA), 1,199,789 votes

3. Kemba Walker (CHA), 858,798 votes

4. Ben Simmons (PHI), 695,032 votes

5. Victor Oladipo (IND), 567,893 votes

6. Kyle Lowry (TOR), 488,825 votes

If we miss the playoffs I think it's only 60/40 he makes it. Not to say he wouldn't deserve it, but if we have a lackluster 2nd half of the season I consider Curry/Harden/Lillard/Irving as virtual locks ahead of Kemba. Sportswriters also tend to reward team success (not always) so that puts Oladipo/Lowry/Simmons/Derozan/Klay all in play, plus the giant darkhorse Westbrook who I think could go either way. Some love him, some hate him, hard to see him falling totally out of All-NBA consideration but you never know.

I'm not sure if this sort of thing is even legal within the CBA, but if Kemba wants to come back I'd try hard to talk him into either a 'hometown discount' (less than supermax but more than anything another team could offer) or at worst a half-supermax deal. By half-supermax I mean setting up the contract in such a way where the first couple years make him 30m and the last few make less. This pads Kemba's pockets while we're stuck in cap hell anyway, and then reduces the burden as soon as we will have the opportunity to actually add pieces around him.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,522

Post#93 » by Bassman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Those who believe we have assets to trade for Kemba help need only look at recent games. Our big contract guys are only traveling if they have picks and youth attached, and not for a great return. Our youngest players have so many question marks that they aren’t tipping any scales to get anyone back of consequence.

Sadly we have Kemba...our only recent all-star who is good, sometimes really good, sometimes not so good, and clearly not a max contract player. Still if he stays he will get a monster contract for decent production. His max value is to a playoff team needing a scoring PG. I still say trade him if we get a good deal (young high upside player at minimum). Graham is good enough to run our point.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#94 » by Braggins » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:33 pm

I think its a terrible idea to have players salaries potentially directly tied to awards like this, especially since the awards are voted on by media people who often don't know what they are talking about.

The Kemba situation is a perfect example of why this is so stupid. We are all desperately hoping that Kemba doesn't get on an all-NBA team because it would potentially kill the franchise.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#95 » by catch20two » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Smart money would be to trade him or at least the front office need to call a meeting with him to see where his head is at. I got a feeling they’ll come out of the meeting looking for suitors willing to borrow Kemba for a playoff run considering that this year’s championship aspirations is up for grabs with the Warriors currently struggling.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,089

Post#96 » by JDR720 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:42 am

As it appears that we are starting to fall of the cliff, i would trade him. Its not the best scenario, but its infinitely better than not trading him and him leaving for nothing.

I always thought Cho was better at GM than Cliff was a coach, i think i have changed that opinion. Cho really put us in a terrible spot with his cap management, or lack of.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#97 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:59 am

(edit to allow change of vote)
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#98 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 am

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#99 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 am

Read on Twitter
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#100 » by stinger14 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:08 pm

It still is not too late, but decisions have to be made soon. Improve the roster or trade a few guys for assets and crank the tank.

There are 8 teams with less wins than the Hornets right now, and 3 of those teams are only 1 win behind.

Hornets - 19
Magic - 18
Pistons - 18
Wizards - 18
Hawks - 13
Suns - 11
Knicks - 10
Bulls - 10
Cavaliers - 8

If Kemba and Lamb are traded for assets, we easily get passed by the Magic, Pistons, and Wizards. That would leave us with the 6th worse record. Honestly though, the Hawks are 4-6 in their last 10 games and I could see them passing us getting us in the top 5

Return to Charlotte Hornets