And1: 13,760

Re: GOAT: The Jordan Thread 

Post#401 » by CobraCommander » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:56 am

salg101 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
salg101 wrote:
CHO meaning the Hornets.

Cho the GM is a badass.

As a wiz fan it pains me to say Cho is indeed a bad ass. TheGoat made the right choice picking him to assemble your team.

He's a badass but so under the radar. You could say that about the entire team: Cliff, Cho, Lin, MKG, etc. They receive so little publicity on the national scene but they get the job done at a very high level. That's some ninja ish right there.

I still say Jordan's Wiz years were pretty enjoyable to watch though. :)

Lin can't be under the radar. If he scores 29 it makes the front page of ESPN when someone scores 29 every night and you don't here a peep about most of them. Lin is a media magnet :). Not his fault or a problem...but he isn't under the radar.
salg101
Banned User
And1: 33

Post#402 » by salg101 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:18 am

I think he's at least trying to be, and playing in a smaller market probably helps but, yeah, as the league's only Asian American player, with a huge fan base in the world's largest country, it's tough.

Lin's profile is due more to his very unique status in the NBA, than it is to self promotion or any desire to be in the limelight.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#403 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:52 am

fatlever wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
So he was just another good UNC player, and I guess you guys didn't all become MJ/Bulls fan.

I rooted for the Bulls over the Pistons because of MJ. But I rooted for the Lakers over the Bulls because of Worthy. And by the time MJ started really winning rings, I hated his **** guts. The media and NBA refs just drove me to despise him. So, I spent all of the 90s rooting for MJ to break a leg or something. I think my early love for the Western Conference (Lakers and Denver, followed by Dallas, Portland, Golden State, Utah, Sonics, Suns etc...) had something to do with me always rooting against MJ. I hated MJ up until the day he became our owner. I still think he's probably a terrible person, but whatever, he's good for the team, despite his meddling.

:lol: Thanks man, real cool!

I was usually rooting against MJ too, some of my favs back then were Reggie, Stockton, Elliott, KJ
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#404 » by fatlever » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:52 am

spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#405 » by spaceballer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hornets/status/744865683276693504[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/hornets/status/744865683276693504
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteGuelli/status/744885967253872640[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/PeteGuelli/status/744885967253872640
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#406 » by fatlever » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:44 pm

BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#407 » by BobsBuddy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:02 pm

MJ with all the years you've gotten under you belt WINNING,you must be getting frustrated not recieving any rings,banners, or trophies in 20 years. I know you have advice coming at you from all different directions,but this is the team you need to assemble now to WIN.
Kemba,Lin
Batum, Bertnelli
MKG,MWILL
FKAM,CZELL
MOZGOV,TZELL
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#408 » by BobsBuddy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:00 pm

:banghead: :crazy: :noway: MJ...More frustration...Belineli now has a broken jaw?....Lets keep Richardson and CANCEL THE DEAL AT #22...SAVE THE CAP SPACE PLEASE...Sir
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#409 » by Flip Murray » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:01 pm

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,543

Post#410 » by yosemiteben » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Here is just his release:

Spoiler:
"As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well.

“I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers – who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all – are respected and supported.

“Over the past three decades I have seen up close the dedication of the law enforcement officers who protect me and my family. I have the greatest respect for their sacrifice and service. I also recognize that for many people of color their experiences with law enforcement have been different than mine. I have decided to speak out in the hope that we can come together as Americans, and through peaceful dialogue and education, achieve constructive change.

“To support that effort, I am making contributions of $1 million each to two organizations, the International Association of Chiefs of Police’s newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. The Institute for Community-Police Relations’ policy and oversight work is focused on building trust and promoting best practices in community policing. My donation to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the nation’s oldest civil rights law organization, will support its ongoing work in support of reforms that will build trust and respect between communities and law enforcement. Although I know these contributions alone are not enough to solve the problem, I hope the resources will help both organizations make a positive difference.

“We are privileged to live in the world’s greatest country – a country that has provided my family and me the greatest of opportunities. The problems we face didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved tomorrow, but if we all work together, we can foster greater understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for ourselves, our children, our families and our communities.”

Very well done.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#411 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Hell yeah MJ. I've love to see him use his voice and money more often to get involved in serious issues. Gone are the days where he can just sit back and say "Republicans buy shoes as well" - or whatever that famous quote was when he declined to support Bill Clinton (I think) publicly.

MJ really has set a great example lately in terms of giving back to the community as well.
Flip Murray

Post#412 » by Flip Murray » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:47 pm

His defenders over the years have argued that Jordan did not have to wage the fight for civil rights and mutual respect that many of his socially-conscious predecessors did in the 1960s and early 1970s. They said that Jordan’s ability to amass wealth and power after his playing days was the next rung of activism for the black athlete: the development of an economic blueprint that featured actual majority ownership in an NBA franchise. And with that wealth and power came the ability to not just advocate, but take action.

Today, the Hornets have more people in color holding top front office positions than any other organization in any major sport in North America. Since its inception, the Jordan Brand, valued recently at $2.8 billion by Nike, has always had an African-American CEO.
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#413 » by -Ian- » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:45 pm

I couldn't ask for a better team owner than MJ, to be honest. He received a lot of flak in the past because of the state of our organization but MJ has grown to be a respectable owner on and off the court. I especially love his efforts in the recent past to strengthen the franchise's ties with the community.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#414 » by LofJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:01 pm

You don't reach the level of success that MJ has without having a lot of good qualities. Despite that he has been drugged through the mud a lot over the last decade. But unlike a lot of people he has grown and matured as he's gotten older. He's becoming someone that you can legitimately be proud of your kids looking up to. Other than his unbelievable competitive drive I wouldn't have said that 20 years ago.

You're the man MJ, keep making our home state proud.
Flip Murray

Post#415 » by Flip Murray » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:12 pm

And you already have haters out in full force on some other websites. "He's just doing this for PR". "20 years too late"

What a cynical world we live in. Somebody makes a good move and its all about PR, or its all about the things they didn't do 20 years ago. Some people are truly sad.
-Ian-
Analyst

Post#416 » by -Ian- » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:17 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/757621389318823936[/tweet]
-Ian-
Analyst

Post#417 » by -Ian- » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Flip Murray wrote:And you already have haters out in full force on some other websites. "He's just doing this for PR". "20 years too late"

What a cynical world we live in. Somebody makes a good move and its all about PR, or its all about the things they didn't do 20 years ago. Some people are truly sad.

Some are even saying that MJ did this because we lost the All-Star Game.

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#418 » by LofJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:45 pm

Life is better when you don't concern yourself with the opinions of a**holes.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#419 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm

-Ian- wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/757621389318823936[/tweet]

Wait, so this whole time that was an urban legend?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#420 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:59 pm

MJ could cure cancer and he'd have haters bashing him

Return to Charlotte Hornets