Re: Sale Confirmed: The Michael Jordan Thread 

Post#681 » by Diop » Thu Aug 3, 2023 9:52 pm

Maybe we should make Clifford a scout instead
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#682 » by wilson115 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 1:03 am

Plowright wasn't kidding about reopening old wounds. Reading that was masochism.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#683 » by Rich4114 » Fri Aug 4, 2023 1:14 pm

Diop wrote:Maybe we should make Clifford a scout instead

We've got it backwards. Cliff should be GM and Mitch should be HC.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#684 » by Bassman » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:38 pm

I’ve been pondering a question that, likely, has no singular answer:

WHY did Jordan sell the vast majority of his NBA franchise?

Seriously, this is a man who was consumed by basketball, by winning, by being the DOMINANT player of all time. Being an owner in HIS league was important to him. So why? I have theories and would appreciate everyone’s input and ideas. Again, I think they all played a role, so in no particular order of importance:

1. Money - the value of his ownership has never been higher, so a good time to sell at peak market. This also is influenced by….
2. Racing Team - Jordan LOVES NASCAR, grew up watching it, and is very involved in his 23XI team. There is chatter of them adding more cars (and they are building additional garage space for that) so extra cash may be needed to purchase charters.
3. Frustration - I think this is a major motivator on a number of levels. MJ must have been every bit as frustrated at the lack of success as we are. He got involved in various ways trying to push these players and the team to perform with the same iron will and personal investment he made. When it gets little traction with a generation of players focused on “having fun” he decided to give up. This didn’t happen all at once. We all noticed how distracted he’d seemed over the last couple of years.

To me those are the big three. Probably other factors, or maybe something none of us could ever know.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#685 » by Rich4114 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:21 pm

I'm not so sure Jordan is as consumed with basketball and winning as his playing days reputation suggests. I think he's into a lot of other things that make winning a championship with his NBA team a little diluted. This is all my personal speculation of course. But when you add in the fact that he's very much a gambler, he may also look at it a little bit like that. Gambling on owning the Bobcats, did some good (especially community wise). Got the name back, brought the all star game back, etc. Now he cashes in a return most people could never dream of so he wins (financially). Either way, probably the best owner this franchise (old and new) has ever had but obviously not capable of putting the right basketball people around him to take the next step forward. Let's hope the new dudes are.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,657

Post#686 » by yosemiteben » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#687 » by Walt Cronkite » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:59 pm

https://theathletic.com/4989701/2023/10/25/michael-jordan-hornets-oral-history/

There is a link to the whole piece, pretty good. Seems MJ became less hands on over time but was always available for the players.

Return to Charlotte Hornets