General Manager
And1: 4,946

Re: GT charlotte vs pistons 4/7 4PM EST 

Post#141 » by DY_nasty » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:35 am

JDR720 wrote:
W_HAMILTON wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:this team is too bad to have consistent lineups

i dont like bonnell, but he's right about that much

Bull**** -- one of the reasons this team is bad is because we have inconsistent lineups.

We are bad because of inconsistent lineups, we have inconsistent lineups because we are bad.

Basically, both of you are correct. Different side, same coin.

preach

we're not gonna sit here and act like jeremy lamb needed more touches all along :lol: dude was running from the ball like everyone else. the team grew over the course of the year imo but even then some mountains just weren't gonna be climbed. we needed a LOT of guys to play better that didn't
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#142 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:48 am

JDR720 wrote:We are bad because of inconsistent lineups, we have inconsistent lineups because we are bad.

Basically, both of you are correct. Different side, same coin.

No, I'm saying this team is good enough to have easily made the playoffs this season based on seeing the other teams that will finish in the 6th-8th range. I don't buy that any of those teams in our range are appreciably more talented than us. I think our inconsistent lineups made us worse than we otherwise would have been and in fact made what talent we have """look bad""" because of it.
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#143 » by Splitta » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:50 am

Our problem was JB sticking with Batum/Marv in the starting lineup game after game until JB was apparently told to play the young guys and just bench Batum even though Marv stayed in the lineup until a mysterious foot problem finally took him out. CZ was no better but he stayed injured and MKG is pretty much a bust. Even Biz was more useful than those 4 guys. Hopefully JB will or gets the authority to put those guys and their salaries on the bench next year unless we can unload them. We need to somehow sign Kemba, Lamb, and Frank and play those guys with the young guys and our draft pick. MJ will just have to pay the luxury tax.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#144 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:53 am

DY_nasty wrote:there isn't a single consistent player among our forwards or centers. not one - and if they play their absolute best ball, they are simply average.

the guards being all over the place is a direct result of that. we had to have tony parker will us to victory multiple times this year. that should've told everyone how bad and desperate this team is

we drastically over performed

I completely disagree and think that the notion that we OVER-performed this season is absolutely ridiculous.
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#145 » by 316Hornets » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:57 am

Fact is, NBA was weak as all this year due to the Zion hype. We blew it at the beginning of the year and then fell on our face at the finish line as always.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#146 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:59 am

Splitta wrote:Our problem was JB sticking with Batum/Marv in the starting lineup game after game until JB was apparently told to play the young guys and just bench Batum even though Marv stayed in the lineup until a mysterious foot problem finally took him out. CZ was no better but he stayed injured and MKG is pretty much a bust. Even Biz was more useful than those 4 guys. Hopefully JB will or gets the authority to put those guys and their salaries on the bench next year unless we can unload them. We need to somehow sign Kemba, Lamb, and Frank and play those guys with the young guys and our draft pick. MJ will just have to pay the luxury tax.

I just don't think it was the higher-ups that were causing Borrego to overly rely on bums like Batum and Marvin for so long -- I think he did that all by himself. Even if you remove those two from the equation, he has made highly questionable lineup decisions throughout the season, so, odds are that the poor decisions are on him and not from some command from the Front Office. And given the fact that he Borrego hasn't really shown me any positives this season, it makes me wonder how much we can expect from him in the future. I literally think if we had any run-of-the-mill NBA coach this season, we would have played better and we would currently be in the playoffs. Borrego might not have the best talent in the world, but he constantly misused what talent he did have and it took injuries to get him to make changes that many of us having been calling for since a couple months into the season.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#147 » by Splitta » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:00 am

We actually underperformed because our coach continued to start the worthless trash for 3/4's of the year and left more talented young guys rotting on the bench or sent to the G league. JB was the problem. Batum and Marv should have been playing off the bench early in the year. It cost us the playoffs. We definitely underperformed.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#148 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:01 am

316Hornets wrote:Fact is, NBA was weak as all this year due to the Zion hype. We blew it at the beginning of the year and then fell on our face at the finish line as always.

That's just putting forward some nice-sounding narrative that really has absolutely no basis in reality: it seems like some of our worst games this season were AGAINST the terrible teams and "the finish line" is just about the one place where we didn't fall on our face this season.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by 316Hornets » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:06 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Fact is, NBA was weak as all this year due to the Zion hype. We blew it at the beginning of the year and then fell on our face at the finish line as always.

That's just putting forward some nice-sounding narrative that really has absolutely no basis in reality: it seems like some of our worst games this season were AGAINST the terrible teams and "the finish line" is just about the one place where we didn't fall on our face this season.

The finish line is the playoffs. We were sloe out of the gate, running behind the whole way, started to gain momentum and get the crowd excited, only to fall on our face at the finish line. 13th pick, lose the two guys who gave us momentum in Frank and Lamb. Really could not have drawn up a worse outcome if I tried.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#150 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:12 am

316Hornets wrote:The finish line is the playoffs. We were sloe out of the gate, running behind the whole way, started to gain momentum and get the crowd excited, only to fall on our face at the finish line. 13th pick, lose the two guys who gave us momentum in Frank and Lamb. Really could not have drawn up a worse outcome if I tried.

Well, if we are terrible as some of you think, the difference in the 13th pick and the 10th pick ain't gonna change a damn thing so who cares? These last couple of weeks have been the most I've been invested in this team all season long and I'm sure others would say the same. Constantly losing and adding another draft pick that (1) we'll probably whiff on and (2) even if they are good, probably won't get played by Borrego -- how is that hopeful going forward?
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#151 » by 316Hornets » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:24 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
316Hornets wrote:The finish line is the playoffs. We were sloe out of the gate, running behind the whole way, started to gain momentum and get the crowd excited, only to fall on our face at the finish line. 13th pick, lose the two guys who gave us momentum in Frank and Lamb. Really could not have drawn up a worse outcome if I tried.

Well, if we are terrible as some of you think, the difference in the 13th pick and the 10th pick ain't gonna change a damn thing so who cares? These last couple of weeks have been the most I've been invested in this team all season long and I'm sure others would say the same. Constantly losing and adding another draft pick that (1) we'll probably whiff on and (2) even if they are good, probably won't get played by Borrego -- how is that hopeful going forward?

Okay, but what did we gain? Lamb and Frank are both gone. Nic will still be here next year and now we don't even have hope of getting lucky in the lottery. If the 10th pick team wins a top 4 pick, we just ruined our future for a few games.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#152 » by DY_nasty » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:33 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:there isn't a single consistent player among our forwards or centers. not one - and if they play their absolute best ball, they are simply average.

the guards being all over the place is a direct result of that. we had to have tony parker will us to victory multiple times this year. that should've told everyone how bad and desperate this team is

we drastically over performed

I completely disagree and think that the notion that we OVER-performed this season is absolutely ridiculous.

any game where willie played was a white flag

this roster is depleted at every position, even with batum's addition by subtraction. top to bottom this team outside of kemba is arguably the worst in the league
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#153 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:39 am

316Hornets wrote:Okay, but what did we gain? Lamb and Frank are both gone. Nic will still be here next year and now we don't even have hope of getting lucky in the lottery. If the 10th pick team wins a top 4 pick, we just ruined our future for a few games.

The last couple of weeks have been entertaining and have given fans hope that they haven't had for much of this season. I'd rather have that than finish out the season in the same depressing manner that we've played in for most of the season and end up drafting a couple spots higher for all the misery.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#154 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:47 am

DY_nasty wrote:any game where willie played was a white flag

this roster is depleted at every position, even with batum's addition by subtraction. top to bottom this team outside of kemba is arguably the worst in the league

Those are the picks where some of our current players were selected by us. If our team is just so damn """terrible,""" why the hell are you pinning your hopes on the drafting in the lottery when drafting in the lottery is what has directly led to this """terrible""" team?
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#155 » by DY_nasty » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:52 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:

its not about the pick

its about this FO thinking that our guys are good enough to do nothing and make the playoffs. if we decided to not make a trade because of MKG or Monk, we're still overvaluing talent. if we decided our interior just fine and signed shelvin mack we're stupid. this team didn't even want to play biyombo at first because they were so confident in zeller and WHG - and both took massive steps back

bacon is the highlight of the last month of the year and as much as i like him, one hot month isn't much to stand out among a team of guys who also get hot for a while and return to mediocrity. the team needs a real evaluation and tone shift and the little we did from last year to this year shows that we haven't learned enough yet. its time for the overhaul and a better pick position is just one of many things that needs to occur. not zion (and i've never once mentioned we needing to abandon everything for a 4% chance of him or whatever), but if if it lands us the next best big available then it was worth it.

i honestly don't understand how people can look at this roster minus kemba and say its better than any other team in the league other than the knicks.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#156 » by DY_nasty » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:58 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:any game where willie played was a white flag

Those are the picks where some of our current players were selected by us. If our team is just so damn """terrible,""" why the hell are you pinning your hopes on the drafting in the lottery when drafting in the lottery is what has directly led to this """terrible""" team?

its not about the pick lol i don't know how many times i can repeat that. and retaining guys who've overstayed their welcome is one the things i harped on to start the year as well.

its about treading water with guys who aren't gonna be here or shouldn't being completely pointless. getting swept in the playoffs isn't making us better. taking any and every opportunity to get some assets is part of improving though, missed picks included. ironically, kaminsky wouldn't even be on the court if this team wasn't so half in/half out in the first place. same with bacon and graham. monk, whg/biyombo, and mack had to fall on their faces repeatedly for us to become 'inconsistent' enough in our lineups to give others a shot.

this whole year should've been an open tryout instead of holding firm to what we've got in order to push for the playoffs

all this to get swept?
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#157 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:06 am

I think the notion that the Front Office would suddenly think everything is hunky dory if we were to squeak into the playoffs is foolish and -- if you really think they are that stupid -- I don't see how NOT making the playoffs improves things one bit. You are basically putting your hope in what you've directly or indirectly deemed to be an incompetent Front Office. So, given the choice between an incompetent Front Office and the playoffs and an incompetent Front Office and the lottery, I choose playoffs, and given the choice between the 15th pick and the playoffs or the 10th/11th pick and not the playoffs, I choose playoffs.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#158 » by W_HAMILTON » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:11 am

And if you take the top player away from BKN/ORL/DET, they'd be pretty goddamn horrible as well. BKN is winning with a bunch of glorified role players. ORL is winning with two of our rejected PGs. DET has an atrocious combination of players and would be like a poor man's BKN if their other guys could actually hit threes.

If you had to win one game ***right now,*** I would take this CHA team over any of those three teams.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#159 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:18 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:And if you take the top player away from BKN/ORL/DET, they'd be pretty goddamn horrible as well. BKN is winning with a bunch of glorified role players. ORL is winning with two of our rejected PGs. DET has an atrocious combination of players and would be like a poor man's BKN if their other guys could actually hit threes.

If you had to win one game ***right now,*** I would take this CHA team over any of those three teams.
The Magic aren't resting anyone Wednesday, we're trying to get the 6th seed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#160 » by DY_nasty » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:22 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:I think the notion that the Front Office would suddenly think everything is hunky dory if we were to squeak into the playoffs is foolish and -- if you really think they are that stupid -- I don't see how NOT making the playoffs improves things one bit. You are basically putting your hope in what you've directly or indirectly deemed to be an incompetent Front Office. So, given the choice between an incompetent Front Office and the playoffs and an incompetent Front Office and the lottery, I choose playoffs, and given the choice between the 15th pick and the playoffs or the 10th/11th pick and not the playoffs, I choose playoffs.

how do you look at this team and NOT think the FO is that stupid :lol: :lol:

Return to Charlotte Hornets