ImageImage

2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,214

Re: 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#41 » by amcoolio » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:58 pm

MKG isn’t a strong defender anymore. He basically was just a wide body last season. Average defender and subpar on offense. Those guys are easy to find
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,632

Post#42 » by yosemiteben » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Weird choice
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#43 » by 316Hornets » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:45 pm

amcoolio wrote:MKG isn’t a strong defender anymore. He basically was just a wide body last season. Average defender and subpar on offense. Those guys are easy to find

Granted, I didn't watch a lot of our games this past year, I do think MKG probably had a rougher time playing defense having to cover up for the deficiencies of a lot of our bench guys. You put him in a 5 man set with guys that are all capable defenders and he is going to be a pivotal guy that can guard his man and cover a lot of space. He's still young, so it's possible if he puts the work in, he could be a more capable defender. I'd like to see him add some weight though.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,163

Post#44 » by SWedd523 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:57 am

316Hornets wrote:
amcoolio wrote:MKG isn’t a strong defender anymore. He basically was just a wide body last season. Average defender and subpar on offense. Those guys are easy to find

Granted, I didn't watch a lot of our games this past year, I do think MKG probably had a rougher time playing defense having to cover up for the deficiencies of a lot of our bench guys. You put him in a 5 man set with guys that are all capable defenders and he is going to be a pivotal guy that can guard his man and cover a lot of space. He's still young, so it's possible if he puts the work in, he could be a more capable defender. I'd like to see him add some weight though.

So he needs to play with 4 other capable defenders now to be effective, in addition to being with 4 other offensive threats to cover his deficiencies on that end of the floor?

Sounds like there are a ton of qualifying conditions for him to be an effective player. The sooner the team and MKG part ways, the better, for both parties
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#45 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:29 am

MKG is garbage.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#46 » by 316Hornets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:08 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

So he needs to play with 4 other capable defenders now to be effective, in addition to being with 4 other offensive threats to cover his deficiencies on that end of the floor?

Sounds like there are a ton of qualifying conditions for him to be an effective player. The sooner the team and MKG part ways, the better, for both parties

Don't get me wrong, MKG is a lockdown defender man on man. It's just tough to be guarding your man while also having to cover for Tony Parker's guy and having to help Willy at the rim. He can't guard 5 guys at once. Just put him with a group of average defenders and he'll be fine. Offensively, he's got to perfect his jumper or become a stronger slasher. I'd put him in the weight room this summer and put on 10-15 pounds of muscle. Maybe he could transition to a small ball 4.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#47 » by JDuaneWayne » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 pm

316Hornets wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

Don't get me wrong, MKG is a lockdown defender man on man. It's just tough to be guarding your man while also having to cover for Tony Parker's guy and having to help Willy at the rim. He can't guard 5 guys at once. Just put him with a group of average defenders and he'll be fine. Offensively, he's got to perfect his jumper or become a stronger slasher. I'd put him in the weight room this summer and put on 10-15 pounds of muscle. Maybe he could transition to a small ball 4.

That's the same story since we drafted him. I'm cutting bait if I can, like previously mentioned better for him, better for us. No more pressure for him to live up to his draft position. Honestly if I'm him I'd consider opting out if I had a decent deal for more years out there. If he sits here and rots another season on the bench his career is over, fortunate for him he got a second contract.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#48 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:19 pm

I like what I know about MKG as a person. Don't hate that he's on the team - but he's payed out of proportion to how much he helps the team win. Really feel like he's in the wrong era for what he can do.

Anyway, if Kemba resigns, then I think he opts in - no question. However if Kemba heads elsewhere, then I think that there is a reasonable chance that MKG opts out. If Kemba goes then the team is going to go with full time youth development. MKG is going to be buried on the bench again - if he gets any PT at all. I don't think that he could sign for anything much in the summer of '20 if he's seen as not helping a bad team like a Kemba-less Hornets team would be. If he opts out this year he can sell the fact that he was a starter until Borrego came and that the coach just never figured out how to use him.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,135

Post#49 » by JMAC3 » Sun May 5, 2019 12:30 am

Plan to maximize if Kemba stays.

Pay Kemba his money and figure everything else out.

Draft BPA at 12.

Rework Marv deal at 3/21 instead of 1/15. His next deal would most likely not be much better than 2/6 so he isn’t losing anything long run. (Saves us 7 mil this year)

Trade Zeller and Monk to Cavs for JR smith partially guaranteed deal. Cut JR. (Saves us over 10 mill). Cavs are rebuilding and both would be rotation guys.

Stretch Biz contract over next three years. (Saves us over 10 mil this year) we have so much space next few summers we can absorb it.

Resign Frank to Qualifying offer and give him the starting job. Him and Kemba are good together.

Bring back Lamb on 1 year 10 mil deal. I think the market for him will be small.

Hope MkG opts out after we tell him we have no minutes available. But ultimately he is an expiring for the upcoming offseason when opts in.

Waive Tony Parker (save 5 mil)

Draft cheap big guys with our second round picks.

Kemba- Graham- second rounder
Bacon- Lamb
Miles- Batum
Marv- MKG
Frank- second round big- Willy

Still have 12th pick to fill hole.

Nothing spectacular, but we can bring back Kemba, lamb and frank, don’t have a ton of cap issues moving forward, and keep pick.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#50 » by HornetJail » Sun May 5, 2019 2:57 am

JMAC3 wrote:Trade Zeller and Monk to Cavs for JR smith partially guaranteed deal. Cut JR. (Saves us over 10 mill). Cavs are rebuilding and both would be rotation guys.

that's atrocious

rest isn't too bad though. is the reworking of Marvin legal?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jswede
Sixth Man
And1: 1,840

Post#51 » by jswede » Wed May 8, 2019 12:28 am

MugzZo wrote:It's time to move on from Frank. He was the wrong pick to begin with. Let it end.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Frank per 36...
season: 19.3 / 7.8
March: 19.5 / 7.5
April: 22.5 / 8.5

I'll take him.
amcoolio

Post#52 » by amcoolio » Wed May 8, 2019 6:29 pm

Wondering if these playoff disappointments will offer up players that we thought previously weren't available to us. Ben Simmons (seems like he doesn't fit with Embiid), Gordon Hayward/Jaylen Brown/Jayson Tatum, Steven Adams, Blake Griffin
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#53 » by HornetJail » Thu May 9, 2019 1:40 am

amcoolio wrote:Wondering if these playoff disappointments will offer up players that we thought previously weren't available to us. Ben Simmons (seems like he doesn't fit with Embiid), Gordon Hayward/Jaylen Brown/Jayson Tatum, Steven Adams, Blake Griffin

i'd throw the **** house at Ben Simmons. I don't give a damn if he can't shoot. we'd have time to surround him with shooters and let him play a point center role. I'd give anyone/everyone Philly wants on our roster plus our pick to pair him with Kemba.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
amcoolio

Post#54 » by amcoolio » Thu May 9, 2019 1:56 am

Id actually think I prefer Jaylen Brown on my team than Tatum
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#55 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu May 9, 2019 2:07 am

Could probably get Hayward at a good price. Takes 2 years to recover from an injury like that.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,163

Post#56 » by SWedd523 » Thu May 9, 2019 11:29 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Could probably get Hayward at a good price. Takes 2 years to recover from an injury like that.

No
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Pipe dream moves 

Post#57 » by Najee12 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:10 pm

PIPE DREAMS:

PIPE DREAM I: In an ideal (and totally speculative) situation, I would love to see a sign-and-trade deal of Kemba Walker to Brooklyn for D'Angelo Russell. Of course, this trade would be contingent on Walker (a Bronx native) wanting to play for the team near his hometown and the Nets not sure if they want to give Russell a long-term contract. Charlotte can sign Russell to a long-term deal and have an ascending, modern NBA point guard (6-foot-5, score and play off the ball).

If the Nets want to keep Russell and have the Hornets operating from a position of weakness (but still would do a sign-and-trade deal), then Charlotte could ask for Caris Levert or Spencer Dinwiddie. Levert is another modern-day wing player -- long, can play multiple positions and has enough offensive versatility to become the Hornets' starting small forward. Dinwiddie is an excellent sixth man whose 6-foot-6 frame allows the Hornets to play the undersized Malik Monk at his natural shooting guard position. Dinwiddie also showed he can close out games.

In both scenarios, I don't see Brooklyn having enough room to play Dinwiddie, Levert, Russell and Walker, so such a move will allow Charlotte to recover from losing Walker while letting Walker be the focal point for an ascending team in the East.

PIPE DREAM II: If the first scenario happened, I would like to see Charlotte also throw in Michael Kidd-Gilchrist in exchange for Allen Crabbe. Crabbe is pretty much Jeremy Lamb with a much higher salary, but it will allow Charlotte to move on from Kidd-Gilchrist, the former No. 2 pick who was a bad choice from the beginning. Kidd-Gilchrist could be more useful on a team such as the Nets as a reserve, particularly if the Nets decide not to bring back Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (restricted free agent).

HOPEFULS:

Barring an unlikely move up into the top part of the lottery, the Hornets have a 99 percent chance of having the No. 12 pick. The Hornets should take the lottery pick and package a veteran (Marvin Williams, with Nicolas Batum being the pipe dream) for a young wing player. Phoenix has an overload of them: Mikal Bridges and Josh Jackson are recent lottery picks, Kelly Oubre is a restricted free agent and T.J. Warren is a young player who can get buckets.

MORE LIKELY:

If the Pipe Dream scenarios don't work, I do like the idea of signing Emmanuel Mudiay. Like a lot of players who came into the NBA too early, it takes several years to see what the player really will be. Mudiay turned the corner this past season in New York under David Fizdale and his training staff's development of the former No. 7 pick. He still needs to be more of a distributor than a plow-in-the-lane scorer, but his size and potential ceiling make him an intriguing look for a short-term contract.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#58 » by JMAC3 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Assuming Kemba resigns and we have to let Lamb walk. What starting lineup would you expect to see?

Big Board
amcoolio

Post#59 » by amcoolio » Sat May 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Biyombo, Zeller to Boston for Hayward (Boston gets a center that fits their system and shaves 24 million off Hayward final year)
Marvin, MKG, and WHG to OKC for Adams (OKC sheds 40-50 million in salary/tax payments and gets a cheap center)
Batum and 12 to Cleveland for Love (Cleveland shaves 2 years of Love's deal and gets a lotto pick for two useless players)
Tony Parker Retires/Opts out
Lamb signs elsewhere for more money
Kaminsky resigns 2 year 10M deal
Taj Gibson minimum deal
Pray that we hit on 2nd round picks because this team is paper thin

Kemba
Bacon
Hayward
Love
Adams

Graham
Monk
Bridges
Gibson
Kaminsky

Hey, its the best I can do with this pu-pu platter of a roster we are dealing with
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#60 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Boston roster is really cloudy heading into next season.

Kyrie, Horford both have player options. Kyrie will opt out and either leave or sign a Superman. Horford has an option for 30 million so I assume he doesn’t leave that on table.

Marcus Morris is a free agent after making 5 mil, doubt Celtics will be able to keep him.

Rozier is a free agent and most likely gone.

Hayward has three years left at 33 million per.

Baynes has a player option after making 5 million, he also might be gone.

Marcus smart got overpaid at 4/52.

Tatum and Brown are in trade rumors for Davis.

Have picks 14,18, and 22.

So many ways they could go, but I could see them trading Hayward for frontcourt depth and veteran depth.

Anthony Davis trade could be wild.

Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets