ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,175

Re: So nice they named him twice: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#341 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Its funny that people already forgot about him, just because he didn’t play in summer league.

Seems like the type of pick who just quietly goes about his business and averages 11 and 6 in his rookie year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I see him averaging 15 and 7.

In Greensboro.

There's not a lot of reason to believe he won't spent 90% of his minutes in the G-League, based on this franchise's history of ignoring rookies who enter their first season with any injury that prevented court time.

I will take a prop bet he plays more than 30 games in nba. You want that action?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Should of bet my student loans on this one.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: 3J Swishington: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#342 » by BigSlam » Mon Feb 1, 2021 6:14 pm

PJ Washington: “I feel like I can play both, but I really like playing in the paint.”

Then why on Earth are you forced to spend so much of your time floating around the outside of the arc - on both ends?

Let the kid play to his strengths. Let the kid play inside.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#343 » by DY_nasty » Mon Feb 1, 2021 6:42 pm

BigSlam wrote:
PJ Washington: “I feel like I can play both, but I really like playing in the paint.”

Then why on Earth are you forced to spend so much of your time floating around the outside of the arc - on both ends?

Let the kid play to his strengths. Let the kid play inside.

PJ likes playing inside? Could've fooled me :lol:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#344 » by BigSlam » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:38 pm

Pj is officially out for tomorrow nights game Vs Philly and currently beyond that his status is unknown.
B B M F 'ers
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#345 » by euphorbus » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:21 pm

BigSlam wrote:Pj is officially out for tomorrow nights game Vs Philly and currently beyond that his status is unknown.

I imagine it will be two to three weeks, just looking at how he bent his ankle/foot. Can we please sign another center now? Or throw Richards into the mix?
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 970

Post#346 » by wilson115 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 10:55 pm

Miles said it wasn't too bad, expects PJ back quickly.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article248943549.html
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#347 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Feb 2, 2021 11:57 pm

I expect McDaniels to be next man up while PJ is out, unless JB totally soured on him.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#348 » by euphorbus » Wed Feb 3, 2021 2:34 am

Hornet Mania wrote:I expect McDaniels to be next man up while PJ is out, unless JB totally soured on him.

Possible, but at 195 lbs., how is he going to stop Enbiid?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,891

Post#349 » by Diop » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:15 am

euphorbus wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:I expect McDaniels to be next man up while PJ is out, unless JB totally soured on him.

JB seems pretty set in his rotations, but against Embiid, I'd play Biz for 5-10 minutes for when Zeller needs a break and Embiid is still on the court.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#350 » by DY_nasty » Wed Feb 3, 2021 6:21 am

euphorbus wrote:

i don't think mcdaniels 'stops' anyone but i'd be happy to see him occasionally bother guys instead of watching our guards flail about around some centers mid-section :lol:
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#351 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Feb 3, 2021 11:08 am

Diop wrote:
euphorbus wrote:

JB seems pretty set in his rotations, but against Embiid, I'd play Biz for 5-10 minutes for when Zeller needs a break and Embiid is still on the court.

Yeah, I think for the Sixers specifically Biz will supplement Zeller just because Embiid is a unique matchup.

But against just about any other team it will probably be McDaniels as the next man up.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,661

Post#352 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:40 pm

I don't even know how I feel about PJ right now. Is he part of our core? Is he projecting to be a long term starter? Should we consider moving on while his value is high?

I dunno.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#353 » by Soul Rebel » Tue Feb 9, 2021 7:43 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I don't even know how I feel about PJ right now. Is he part of our core? Is he projecting to be a long term starter? Should we consider moving on while his value is high?

I dunno.

I think he's slumping big time, and coming off an injury, probably won't be himself for a minute.

At what point do we start Miles at the 4 and let PJ come off the bench? I can't figure out if Miles' increased play is due to not starting, rotations/fit or if Ball is his catalyst. He's recently posted a 19/10, 11/14 & 16/8 line in 3 of 4. He did also produce a crappy 2/1 game...haha.

It seems like if Ball keeps starting, that defenses are going to have to respect his handles and propensity to pull up from wherever. If Miles is in there, he benefits w/ go-to scorers like Hayward and Rozier.

Still believe in PJ long-term, but right now, he can't get out of his own way.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#354 » by Braggins » Fri Mar 5, 2021 9:14 pm

A positive way to look at PJs first half is that if you watch the games it feels like hes played closer to his floor for most of the season, but hes still putting up 13/6/3/1/1 on 45/39/78 shooting splits as a 22 year old 4/5 combo. Hes been worse than his numbers look, but he came into the season out of shape, has had to deal with some injuries, and has been asked to expand his role on the team while also learning a new position.
Hornet Mania
General Manager

Post#355 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Mar 5, 2021 10:19 pm

There's no doubt PJ has looked worlds better than he did in December and January. I hope he keeps this trajectory the rest of the season.

It's still hard to excuse the fact he came into the year so out of shape but it's a lot easier to forgive and forget if he plays up to his potential the rest of the way.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,144

Post#356 » by Snidely FC » Thu May 6, 2021 8:18 pm

Charlotte Hornets
33m ·
CONGRATS to our guy PJ on becoming a dad! Welcome to the Hornets family, baby PJ!

Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#357 » by Roll Tide 09 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:53 am

Sell while high. McDaniels puts up similar numbers and actually plays with effort...and is more consistent. Miles can fill in for Washington.
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 970

Post#358 » by wilson115 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Washington took criticism for his offensive inconsistencies, but defensively, he was the best option for the team at the center position. In 892 minutes with Washington as the small ball center, the Hornets had a defensive rating of 108.3, a figure that would rank fifth in the league. The team also had a plus-4.7 net rating in those minutes as well.

From an efficiency standpoint, Washington took a step back as an overall shooter but a step forward as a 3-point shooter, knocking down 38.6% of his long-range efforts.

Again, though, the problems lied in his inconsistency. He had 23 games where he failed to reach double digits in scoring. Rebounding continues to be an area of improvement as he reached double figures only 13 times.

The question is if the Hornets are willing or can afford to take the risk of waiting one more year for Washington to develop or if they even think Washington can make the jump Bridges can. He’s still a young big that can play either the four or five, has shown flashes on both ends and could be a vital piece to unlocking the Hornets in the future.

If Charlotte trades him, it will need to be for an instant impact player.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2021/06/11/2020-21-charlotte-hornets-player-review-p-j-washington/
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#359 » by BigSlam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:28 pm

wilson115 wrote:
Washington took criticism for his offensive inconsistencies, but defensively, he was the best option for the team at the center position. In 892 minutes with Washington as the small ball center, the Hornets had a defensive rating of 108.3, a figure that would rank fifth in the league. The team also had a plus-4.7 net rating in those minutes as well.

Does that have more to do with PJ’s impact at the 5 spot, or………

Does that have more to do with the fact that when PJ moves to the 5 spot it means Bridges is in the game at the 4 spot and Miles is such a good defender that it ups our defensive rating as opposed to PJ being at the 4 spot?
B B M F 'ers
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#360 » by GoBobs » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 pm

BigSlam wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Does that have more to do with PJ’s impact at the 5 spot, or………

Does that have more to do with the fact that when PJ moves to the 5 spot it means Bridges is in the game at the 4 spot and Miles is such a good defender that it ups our defensive rating as opposed to PJ being at the 4 spot?

A big part of it is probably not having a big that can be put in the pick and roll. We switch every screen with so little resistance, if we have Biz or Cody in the game they mostly just end up defending some guard on the edge.

PJ at center really works well when we also have McDaniels in the game at SF, Miles at PF, and LaMelo PG and Rozier at SG. This squad gives us a much better shot at defending the rim and rebounding by committee.

Return to Charlotte Hornets