ImageImage

Better Than Zion: The Jalen McDaniels Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SpearNMgicHelmt
Senior
And1: 160

Re: Better Than Zion: The Jalen McDaniels Thread 

Post#121 » by SpearNMgicHelmt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:37 pm

Rich4114 wrote:McDaniels is playing more confident. Finishing decent at the rim and hitting those corner threes. Granted the competition lately has been sub par, but this is a great confidence boost for a guy like that at the right time. What I noticed the last two games in particular that stood out in a big way for McDaniels was how active he was passing the ball. In the past, he’d get the ball and try to take a low % shot and now he’s whipping that ball around and often gets it back with a clean shot or lane. Good stuff.

I think the difference in the past two games is that he knows he's going to get minutes. He's not forcing things out of being desperate to do something to impress to earn more PT.

I had thought he showed potential at the very beginning of the year for the short period of time when he was consistently in the backup rotation. But later on when just coming in here and there or for garbage time, he often seemed out of control and ball hoggy.

He's not only looking great when getting starter minutes, but for some reason he causes Miles to be more aggressive to make it a double win.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#122 » by Roll Tide 09 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:58 am

What happened to the person who said McDaniels was going to be up there with Zion? Obviously, he’s not...at least not yet. But it was a bold statement and he’s definitely a fringe starter. He’s been really nice when he’s given playing time.
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#123 » by amcoolio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Braggins wrote:
amcoolio wrote:What if McDaniels was our best center all along

Just looked it up, his standing reach is only .5" worse than Zeller and 1" worse than PJ. Hes not quite a center, but none of these three actually have quite enough length for a center and playing him at the forward position could really help make up for us not really having a true center. I'm really interested in how this experiment plays out the rest of the season.

We just need one of Miles, PJ, or Jalen to grow 3-4 inches. Surely there is some mad scientist out there willing to try out their growth ray
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#124 » by euphorbus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:14 pm

In the past 10 games, since McDaniels has played big minutes, he is shooting 46.9% from the field. That includes a 1-8 showing last night. He averages 38.8% from three, on 3.6 attempts per game. He has contributed 4.4 rebounds per game and 15 steals.

The numbers are better than I expected overall. Jalen is making contributions, no doubt about it. He is still raw & gawky, but has lightning-fast hands.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#125 » by UNCNYC » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:48 pm

Good debut man. Just needs to hit the jumper at the top of the key a tad bit more. I do love the mastery of those corner three's tho.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#126 » by BigSlam » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:39 pm

Debut?

He’s been on the roster for 3 years.
B B M F 'ers
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#127 » by UNCNYC » Wed Oct 6, 2021 10:26 am

BigSlam wrote:Debut?

He’s been on the roster for 3 years.

Lol I meant season debut but either way debut isn't necessary :noway:
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#128 » by Diop » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:53 am

If Zion keeps heaping on the pounds uncnyc’s prediction might turn out true!
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,162

Post#129 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:08 pm

McDaniels over his last 5 games. 8/33 from field. 24%.

I know he does other things on the floor, but we miss the scoring of Oubre so bad.

Bench scoring over last 4 games. We normally average 34 bench points a game.
7 vs Knicks
19 vs Magic
17 vs 76ers
10 vs Bucks
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#130 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:13 pm

at the end of last year, I was ok with moving on from PJ because of how Jalen played in Hayward's absence and alongside Miles.

This year, I'm still ok with moving PJ, but it's not because of Jalen anymore, it's the giving Thor some burn for his defense, and letting Hayward or Oubre play small-ball 4 alongside an actual center opening wing minutes for Bouknight in the process.

I hope Jalen can be brought back very cheaply for spot minutes here and there, but I don't really think he's a quality rotation player on a playoff team.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#131 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:at the end of last year, I was ok with moving on from PJ because of how Jalen played in Hayward's absence and alongside Miles.

This year, I'm still ok with moving PJ, but it's not because of Jalen anymore, it's the giving Thor some burn for his defense, and letting Hayward or Oubre play small-ball 4 alongside an actual center opening wing minutes for Bouknight in the process.

I hope Jalen can be brought back very cheaply for spot minutes here and there, but I don't really think he's a quality rotation player on a playoff team.

Thor has played non-garbage minutes in 5 games. How are you this sold on his defense hahaha. Other NBA teams probably don't even list him in the scouting report, so its pretty hard to say what he does and doesn't do well.
Big Board
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#132 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 pm

JMAC3 wrote:

I know he does other things on the floor, but we miss the scoring of Oubre so bad.

7 vs Knicks
19 vs Magic
17 vs 76ers
10 vs Bucks

I knew I wasn't imagining things. As the playoffs approach and games become more competitive he looks more and more overmatched. I think we're starting to see his ceiling. Our rotation is improving and he's going to have a hard time keeping his spot. Currently he's not in the playoff rotation. It should be the 5 starters + Martin + Oubre + PJ. His length and experience is the only reason why he plays over Bouknight. I literally experience severe abdominal pain when he enters the game. Send him to the Wolves with his brother. But really he should only get consistent minutes on a rebuild team like the Magic. He'd be pretty far down their depth chart.
It has been written...
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#133 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

7 vs Knicks
19 vs Magic
17 vs 76ers
10 vs Bucks

I knew I wasn't imagining things. As the playoffs approach and games become more competitive he looks more and more overmatched. I think we're starting to see his ceiling. Our rotation is improving and he's going to have a hard time keeping his spot. Currently he's not in the playoff rotation. It should be the 5 starters + Martin + Oubre + PJ. His length and experience is the only reason why he plays over Bouknight. I literally experience severe abdominal pain when he enters the game. Send him to the Wolves with his brother. But really he should only get consistent minutes on a rebuild team like the Magic. He'd be pretty far down their depth chart.

Yep he has had 5 bad games. Definitely time to write him off.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#134 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:41 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

7 vs Knicks
19 vs Magic
17 vs 76ers
10 vs Bucks

Not writing him off, but be honest. When he shoots a three do you ever feel confident its going in? I don't think he is anything spectacular on defense either. He is fine now, but if we aren't looking to upgrade him then I think that's a mistake.

Watching a Rozier, Martin, McDaniels, PJ and Plumlee offense makes my face go numb.
Big Board
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#135 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:59 am

JMAC3 wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Not writing him off, but be honest. When he shoots a three do you ever feel confident its going in? I don't think he is anything spectacular on defense either. He is fine now, but if we aren't looking to upgrade him then I think that's a mistake.

Watching a Rozier, Martin, McDaniels, PJ and Plumlee offense makes my face go numb.

Fortunately on the season PJ and Plumlee have been on the court together a total of 23 minutes, so you've barely had to.

The Rozier, McDaniels, and PJ lineups are a scorching +20 net rating, and the Rozier, Martin, PJ lineups are +18. Rozier, Martin, McDaniels, PJ 4 man lineup is +32.

In short, I don't think there's much support for that opinion.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#136 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 am

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:Yep he has had 5 bad games. Definitely time to write him off.

Fortunately on the season PJ and Plumlee have been on the court together a total of 23 minutes, so you've barely had to.

The Rozier, McDaniels, and PJ lineups are a scorching +20 net rating, and the Rozier, Martin, PJ lineups are +18. Rozier, Martin, McDaniels, PJ 4 man lineup is +32.

In short, I don't think there's much support for that opinion.

I think Oubre probably helps them out a good bit without looking because he carries the second unit at times. Also, McDaniels and Martin have been playing a good portion of minutes vs 10 day contract guys due to covid.

Offensively when Martin and McDaniels are on floor together we are playing 3 on 5 on offense. Luckily Oubre and Rozier are able to make that work for now.

Also, I just think McDaniels tries to do way too much at times and plays a bit of hero ball. I don't trust him in a playoff series.
Big Board
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#137 » by fatlever » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:49 am

he has been shockingly bad since returning
6 games (hornets 5-1)
73 minutes
- 33 on/off (team +49, nobody else even close in negative on/off)
4-for-19 fg
0-for-8 3pt

im running out of patience. knock off the rust of gtfo of the lineup
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#138 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:32 am

McDaniels has had a pretty long leash all season. Too long and that's coming from someone who wants the young guys to see as much court time as possible ... I get that Hayward has been out, but Jalen isn't it. I'd get Miles more SF minutes and get Thor some burn in Jalen's place.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#139 » by SWedd523 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:44 am

McD has has his chance. time to move on

Thor needs his development minutes and that roster spot needs to go to a vet
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#140 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 am

SWedd523 wrote:McD has has his chance. time to move on

Thor needs his development minutes and that roster spot needs to go to a vet

we do have him on contract next year, I'm not ready to give him up entirely, but I don't expect anything to happen this season. I want him out of the rotation down the stretch
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Charlotte Hornets