Post#121 » by HornetJail » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:36 am

My Melo opinions aged like milk and i couldn't be happier
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,373

Re: Not Revisionist History: Post LaMelo Ball thoughts 

Post#122 » by CuseMayne » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:55 am

Didn't remember what I wrote here, was cool to read my initial thoughts. Thanks for bumping!
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#123 » by amcoolio » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:04 am

You guys are spot on with your 2nd rounders. A lot of you wanted Talen Horton Tucker or Daniel Gafford over Cody Martin, and honestly we could have used both a ton this year. Then a lot of you wanted Xavier Tillman over Vernon Carey, and Tillman looks to be one of the top 10 players of the entire draft
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#124 » by Braggins » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:37 pm

It does kind of look like they botched the second round this year. It will be a minute before we know what we really have with Carey and I understand going for the upside there, but its looking like there were better options and I don't understand trading for an extra pick to take Richardson, who looks like a complete dud, at all.
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#125 » by bravor » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:39 pm

I was low on Ball (even though after the first two picks he was an obvious choice and like many i am glad it worked out without the expected family drama and lack of shooting) but like many, pretty high on Tillman (perfect big from the bench, and he could have allowed Kupchak to buy time instead of claiming at every agent/GM's he wants to overpay for a center..) and Okongwu (did not have a lot of playing time, but he seems to be legit).

Pairing Ball with Okongwu would make much more sense than pairing him with Turner (with 2 years left on his contract and a high risk to overpay to keep him or to lose him for nothing).
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#126 » by Rich4114 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:43 pm

I started to buy into Ball right before the draft because he seemed to have the highest upside but also biggest risk. After watching him play for a season, he far exceeded what I expected. I expected a player who could handle the ball well and play make. I did not expect a player who could run the offense, shoot threes, get to the rim and collect a ton of fouls plus make us good this soon.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#127 » by BlackOutBuzz » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:54 pm

I was all-in on Ball. Clearly the most talented player and felt like most of the discourse surrounding him was based on his dad. I was cool with Edwards, too; but was worried we'd be left with Wiseman at 3: who I wasn't high on.

I think I ended with Hayes as a distant number 3, Okongwu was above Wiseman, too... but pretty much knew we'd take whichever of the Big 3 were left. I knew Haliburton fell too far.

Wasn't my top choice but I liked the Carey pick, felt like the appropriate range for him. Barely knew who Richards was... and thought it was a weird pick right after Carey. Was thrilled with Riller; thought he could be a round 1 guy.

I remember defending the draft as a whole, as most of the pundits were down on it and wanted to jump ahead to 2021. It reminded me of how guys like Giannis and Gobert were overlooked in 2013 as everybody wanted to talk about Wiggins vs. Parker in 2014.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed

Return to Charlotte Hornets