ImageImage

Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop, BigSlam, JDR720

User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 39,135
And1: 8,393
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#521 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:Can we afford to extend Terry, while also.....

- Continue paying Hayward
- Re-sign Monk
- Sign or trade for a center this offseason

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58
The salary in the first year of a veteran extension may be any amount up to 120% of the player's previous salary6, or 120% of the estimated average salary (see question number 31), whichever is greater, but no more than the player's maximum salary in that season (i.e., the maximum salary the player can receive if he were to sign a new contract that year as a free agent -- see question number 23).
Based on this, the max extension we can offer Terry in the upcoming season is a contract starting at $17.9M * 120% = ~ $21.5M starting, with max raises, a 4 year deal comes out to 4/$96.3M. We would be paying him roughly $27M in his age 31-32 season if we did that. As well as Terry is playing, I would really hesitate on that. Maybe if that 4th year is unguaranteed or has a team option?. But it would not affect our books this upcoming season, it would take effect in 2022.
User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 35,052
And1: 31,209
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#522 » by JDR720 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:29 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,246
And1: 1,734
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#523 » by SWedd523 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:Can we afford to extend Terry, while also.....

- Continue paying Hayward
- Re-sign Monk
- Sign or trade for a center this offseason

I would argue that it isn't very fiscally responsible to pay both Terry AND Monk the type of money they'll both be (likely) looking for. I don't see how you can invest that much money into one position and not have All-NBA level production.

The difficult (and probably correct) answer is to choose one to lock up long term and hunt the cheaper vet market for a backup.

Same logic applies to not paying Graham long term.

Hayward (plus Bstum) make too much money to continue playing that "give everyone 5 years and 60-80mil" game like they've been doing
Image
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,235
And1: 10,589
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#524 » by yosemiteben » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:31 pm

It depends on the cap math. If we're going to be just below the cap anyway, I'm good with getting everyone under contract and then maneuvering as an over the cap team with trades and utilizing the MLE. I really don't know what our cap situation looks like the next two summers given the decisions we have to make.

Depending on what the market looks like, I probably would give Graham and Monk decently large deals and then plan to move one of them for a big.
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,398
And1: 4,936
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#525 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 pm

Next two years will be tight with extensions, but if the rumors about the next TV deal doubling revenue are true we're going to see a massive spike after that. In that scenario it's better to lock guys up before the spike, even if we have to go into the luxury tax, because they'll be making a pittance of their actual market value in the latter half of a 3-4yr contract.

I don't see any easy answers, I just hope we don't put ourselves in another financial straight jacket like we did in 2016.
Chapelchilla
Senior
Posts: 746
And1: 387
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#526 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 pm

I would pay Terry and Devonte their respective market rates and let Monk walk after his RFA year. Having Devonte as a backup PG is a big help. Monk is more replaceable.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,246
And1: 1,734
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#527 » by SWedd523 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:12 pm

yosemiteben wrote:It depends on the cap math. If we're going to be just below the cap anyway, I'm good with getting everyone under contract and then maneuvering as an over the cap team with trades and utilizing the MLE. I really don't know what our cap situation looks like the next two summers given the decisions we have to make.

Depending on what the market looks like, I probably would give Graham and Monk decently large deals and then plan to move one of them for a big.


That's a very dangerous game to play banking on their trade value after large longer term extensions,essentially one season of slightly above average play by Monk and one season of above average pay followed by largely doodoo from Graham

Sounds like exactly what they did before with Cody, Marv, Batum etc.

Didn't work then, dubious if it'll work now
Image
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,246
And1: 1,734
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#528 » by SWedd523 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:16 pm

I'd definitely avoid giving long term deals to ANYONE until they've proven to be an integral part in a Lamelo future.

Last thing I want to see is cashing into a bunch of mediocre dudes and wasting our star PG's time on the team before he gets tired of doing all the heavy lifting and bolting for Boston.

Overpay on guys (if necessary) for shorter deals, no more than three years, and maintain a clean cap sheet moving forward in hopes that they can cash in on a second star in the draft or FA.
Image
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,235
And1: 10,589
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#529 » by yosemiteben » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:It depends on the cap math. If we're going to be just below the cap anyway, I'm good with getting everyone under contract and then maneuvering as an over the cap team with trades and utilizing the MLE. I really don't know what our cap situation looks like the next two summers given the decisions we have to make.

Depending on what the market looks like, I probably would give Graham and Monk decently large deals and then plan to move one of them for a big.


That's a very dangerous game to play banking on their trade value after large longer term extensions,essentially one season of slightly above average play by Monk and one season of above average pay followed by largely doodoo from Graham

Sounds like exactly what they did before with Cody, Marv, Batum etc.

Didn't work then, dubious if it'll work now

It's a point well taken. Monk is a bit different though, he just turned 23.

Batum was being paid as a 27/28 year old earning his big pay day while being asked to take a new role that was different from the one he'd had every other year of his career.

Marv got paid $13M per year, which I think was a good contract, and he was 30 when we have it to him.

Cody's deal is also reasonable, the only problem with it IMO is the dude can't stay healthy.

The closest comparison is probably Graham, which I think is fair. If we pay him starter money I can see coming to regret that.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,246
And1: 1,734
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#530 » by SWedd523 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:44 pm

Teams don't win giving out a bunch of mid tier contracts. "reasonable" for a non all-star is pretty pointless unless you already have stars on the team. That's buying into mediocrity.
Image
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,235
And1: 10,589
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#531 » by yosemiteben » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:51 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Teams don't win giving out a bunch of mid tier contracts. "reasonable" for a non all-star is pretty pointless unless you already have stars on the team. That's buying into mediocrity.

Don't think it's quite that simple, salary can create trade options. This deadline Cody pretty much had to be included in any deal if the target wasn't on a rookie contract.

There's also the question of cap space. If you're going to be near or over the cap anyway, better to keep the talent and do something with it rather than let it walk and still have no cap space left over.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,246
And1: 1,734
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#532 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:29 am

yosemiteben wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Teams don't win giving out a bunch of mid tier contracts. "reasonable" for a non all-star is pretty pointless unless you already have stars on the team. That's buying into mediocrity.

Don't think it's quite that simple, salary can create trade options. This deadline Cody pretty much had to be included in any deal if the target wasn't on a rookie contract.

There's also the question of cap space. If you're going to be near or over the cap anyway, better to keep the talent and do something with it rather than let it walk and still have no cap space left over.

And it took him how many years to become a trade "asset" that wasn't even used?

Keeping talent is one thing. Locking into a bunch of mediocre talent for half a decade is suicidal. I disagree completely. I would much rather let non-difference-makers walk than lock them up for no real reason aside from maintaining a negative to neutral asset.

The worst thing this team could do is lock into Graham, Monk, Miles, and maybe PJ long term because "Gosh darn it we can't let them walk for nothing". They did that crap for Kemba's entire career and were never able to make any serious moves because they either never amassed enough cap space to sign anybody worth a damn, or couldn't make any trades because dudes were given a bunch of loyalty deals
Image
Roll Tide 09
Senior
Posts: 662
And1: 85
Joined: Jun 24, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:
       

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#533 » by Roll Tide 09 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:52 am

Rozier is better in the clutch than Kemba. Yes, extend him...and possibly move a few players (Washington, Hayward, and Graham) in order to open space and get a Center who can defend, catch, and go straight up with the ball.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,235
And1: 10,589
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#534 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:42 am

SWedd523 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Teams don't win giving out a bunch of mid tier contracts. "reasonable" for a non all-star is pretty pointless unless you already have stars on the team. That's buying into mediocrity.

Don't think it's quite that simple, salary can create trade options. This deadline Cody pretty much had to be included in any deal if the target wasn't on a rookie contract.

There's also the question of cap space. If you're going to be near or over the cap anyway, better to keep the talent and do something with it rather than let it walk and still have no cap space left over.

And it took him how many years to become a trade "asset" that wasn't even used?

Keeping talent is one thing. Locking into a bunch of mediocre talent for half a decade is suicidal. I disagree completely. I would much rather let non-difference-makers walk than lock them up for no real reason aside from maintaining a negative to neutral asset.

The worst thing this team could do is lock into Graham, Monk, Miles, and maybe PJ long term because "Gosh darn it we can't let them walk for nothing". They did that crap for Kemba's entire career and were never able to make any serious moves because they either never amassed enough cap space to sign anybody worth a damn, or couldn't make any trades because dudes were given a bunch of loyalty deals

Again, if the choice is be over the cap with less talent or be over the cap with more talent...why go with less? Ditching one of Monk or Graham isn't enough to get us real cap space.

That's why I said it depends on cap math. If we have space and can use it on more productive options, then sure let's do it. But if we're at the cap, then keep whatever talent we can.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,246
And1: 1,734
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#535 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:43 am

Because the world

A. Doesn't exist in a vacuum and
B. Is clearly nowhere near as simplistic as more talent over the cap vs less

Kind of a lazy argument to be honest
Image
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,235
And1: 10,589
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#536 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:21 am

SWedd523 wrote:Because the world

A. Doesn't exist in a vacuum and
B. Is clearly nowhere near as simplistic as more talent over the cap vs less

Kind of a lazy argument to be honest

My argument is, if we are at or over the cap, we should retain guys. Are you saying I'm wrong, just calling me lazy for kicks, or saying it's not possible that we're at or over the cap?

Return to Charlotte Hornets