Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Shams: Rozier to Charlotte 

Post#261 » by BigSlam » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:11 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Basically focus on getting young talent while putting vets that play hard around them. Win every game you can to teach the young guys how to win in the NBA.

Problem is this is what I feel like our approach has been for the past 15 years, ever since the Bobcats came back, and all it's done is resulted in a middle of the pack, late lottery performing team who rarely makes it to the playoffs and when they do, are bounced pretty easily out of the 1st round.
B B M F 'ers
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#262 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:44 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Basically focus on getting young talent while putting vets that play hard around them. Win every game you can to teach the young guys how to win in the NBA.

Problem is this is what I feel like our approach has been for the past 15 years, ever since the Bobcats came back, and all it's done is resulted in a middle of the pack, late lottery performing team who rarely makes it to the playoffs and when they do, are bounced pretty easily out of the 1st round.

I'll grant you that it's similar to Cho's sustained success model he talked about, but Cho also talked about true tanking and drafting like the Thunder. I just felt like Cho did a pretty poor job of following his own plan ... but based on what we know now, both MJ and Cliff pushed him to deviate and overruled him on draft decisions more than once.

Things just seem really different under Mitch. The team isn't trading 2nds. They are drafting guys who might not be on winning programs and that might not have the biggest names. You also don't hear the team talking about tanking for lottery luck. Terry strikes me as a Mitch pivot move - from a team under Cho that really seemed to have trouble pivoting unless MJ personally got involved.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#263 » by BigSlam » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:53 pm

I've been watching Terry Rozier packages on YouTube for what seems to be 24 hours straight now!!

There's a lot to like about him - it's just that contract that I'm having such a hard time with.

Had we signed Rozier to a 3/$30mil or even up to a 3/$36mil contract it would be SO much easier for me to stomach than the 3/$58mil contract that we did sign him to.

That number just prevents it from me fully embracing him................for now.

I'm sure I'll come around.
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#264 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:06 pm

https://youtu.be/w4EpI6Y90_0

Just watched Rozier in his run in the playoffs last season and it’s hard to not like what I see.

He has a really shifty handle that is herky jerky similar to Kemba and Kyrie. He is able to change direction and stop and start on a dime, this allows him to get into the paint especially when he gets switches.

Watching the video one thing I noticed is he moves extremely well off the ball, he relocates well off penetration for open threes which demonstrates a good feel for the game. He is also really confident shooter off the dribble from three point range. Bledsoe couldn’t do anything with him (first team defense this year).

Flashes great speed in transition off defensive rebounds and is constantly putting pressure on defense. Looks like he can finish well with both hands off scoop layup.

Not sure how great his individual defense is yet, but he is a menace in passing lanes with his long wingspan(6-8). Turns defense into offense and he has a nice athleticism to keep defense from chasing him down.

He can make the simple play in the passing game. Finding shooters off dribble penetration and is already a better lob passer than Kemba. Hopefully him and Miles develop a good connection on some alley oops.

Lastly, Rozier isn’t a politically correct player, don’t expect him to say the safe thing in the media. He has a lot of dawg in him and he wants to take your lunch money and buy your girlfriend a milkshake with it. Hopefully he brings a lot confidence to the team that rubs off on our other young guns.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#265 » by gundysmullet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:14 pm

Elfrid Payton, who I've been advocating for for over a week just signed with the Knicks for 2 years, $16 million. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#266 » by gundysmullet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:16 pm

BigSlam wrote:I've been watching Terry Rozier packages on YouTube for what seems to be 24 hours straight now!!

There's a lot to like about him - it's just that contract that I'm having such a hard time with.

Had we signed Rozier to a 3/$30mil or even up to a 3/$36mil contract it would be SO much easier for me to stomach than the 3/$58mil contract that we did sign him to.

That number just prevents it from me fully embracing him................for now.

Keep in mind, highlight reels are just that, created to highlight the best in a player. Let's test it out, without thinking name the worst NBA player that you can think of, type the first player that comes to mind; no cheating, honor system.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#267 » by BigSlam » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:27 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I've been watching Terry Rozier packages on YouTube for what seems to be 24 hours straight now!!

Keep in mind, highlight reels are just that, created to highlight the best in a player.

Oh, absolutely. I watch them with a grain of salt, and there were not nearly enough passing highlights for my liking (it was basically all him scoring), but at least there were some flashes?

gundysmullet wrote: Let's test it out, without thinking name the worst NBA player that you can think of, type the first player that comes to mind; no cheating, honor system.

Miles Plumlee
B B M F 'ers
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#268 » by gundysmullet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:30 pm

BigSlam wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

Keep in mind, highlight reels are just that, created to highlight the best in a player.

Oh, absolutely. I watch them with a grain of salt, and there were not nearly enough passing highlights for my liking (it was basically all him scoring), but at least there were some flashes?

gundysmullet wrote: Let's test it out, without thinking name the worst NBA player that you can think of, type the first player that comes to mind; no cheating, honor system.

Miles Plumlee

gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#269 » by gundysmullet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:33 pm

What's crazy is I watched the Plumlee reel after I posted it and I was like, "man, this guy's awesome". I'm my own Pavolovs dog.
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#270 » by powerforward » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:13 pm

gundysmullet wrote:What's crazy is I watched the Plumlee reel after I posted it and I was like, "man, this guy's awesome". I'm my own Pavolovs dog.

lol
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#271 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:01 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
25centsandwich wrote:
badladd22 wrote:I think rozier will be our victor Oladipo...thats what im hoping for anyways

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I think he's Reggie Jackson but I hope you're right.

He's neither. He's in between.

A Celtics fan I liked Rozier. He is an interesting player for CHA.

The good is that he is one of the best rebounding guards in the league and he doesn't turn the ball over. He is fearless and is willing able to take the big shot. Capable of good to great defense and capable of driving you crazy because he blows and assignment. He is not a playmaker for his teammates but this has improved over time. Great in transition, good from 3 but doesn't have an mid range game and doesn't get to the line a ton.

I wouldn't worry about the money that much he will walk on the floor and give 16/5/5 and make enough 3's that you are good with him firing away. When you factor in the role Kemba had in your offense he could score 20 a game for you guys.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#272 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:18 pm

best current hopeful comp = eric bledsoe?
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#273 » by powerforward » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:18 pm

I see reggie jackson
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#274 » by vexco » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:49 pm

gundysmullet wrote:Elfrid Payton, who I've been advocating for for over a week just signed with the Knicks for 2 years, $16 million. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thank god we dodged that bullet.
mapquest me
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#275 » by gundysmullet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:54 pm

vexco wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Elfrid Payton, who I've been advocating for for over a week just signed with the Knicks for 2 years, $16 million. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sarcasm? He put up better #'s than Rozier across the board and cost more than 50% less. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#276 » by gundysmullet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:55 pm

fatlever wrote:best current hopeful comp = eric bledsoe?

Bledsoe is built like a tank and is a relentless attacker at the rim. Rozier doesn't drive to the hole much at all.
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#277 » by vexco » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:56 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
vexco wrote:

Sarcasm? He put up better #'s than Rozier across the board and cost more than 50% less. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Payton is a bum when given consistent minutes and a consistent role. Let's see what Rozier can do with the same instead of just posting histrionic fits.
mapquest me
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#278 » by DY_nasty » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:00 pm

bledsoe is turrible. dont know what happened but he's been cheeks for several years now

and yes, payton is a bum.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#279 » by BigSlam » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:41 pm

fatlever wrote:best current hopeful comp = eric bledsoe?

Roddy Beaubois

Kidding aside, I'd say Dennis Schroder:
Same sort of body type.
Same sort of game.
Same sort of attitude (swag).
Same sort of (maybe unrealistically inflated) belief in their own ability.
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#280 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:47 pm

I find it hilarious the hot take that now we signed rozier we aren’t trying to tank..

I have seen people state we are going to be competing for 8th seed again... if this is the case and we are just as good with Terry as we are with Kemba then we definitely should not paid Kemba that much...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!

Return to Charlotte Hornets