ImageImage

Free Agent Targets

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop

User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 8,755
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#81 » by SWedd523 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:20 pm

Throughout the team's history, they've drafted

6 players from Kentucky
4 players from Indiana
4 players from UCONN
4 players from UNC
4 international guys
3 players from UCLA
2 players from Duke

bball-ref doesn't list draft night trades so the numbers will be a little different, and it doesn't include 2019, but that doesn't really support any UNC bias argument. If anything, the team has clear Kentucky favoritism.

Since Rock's 2006 qualifier, more players have been drafted from:

Duke, Indiana, UConn, and Kentucky than from UNC

same issues apply as draft trades not included, but I'm still failing to see any sort of bias, especially since UNC is consistently considered a powerhouse who puts out draft picks on a yearly basis.

Just an overall lazy and dumb argument. If you want to criticize MJ, then by all means do so, but use one of his MANY legitimate issues.
Image
User avatar
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
Posts: 7,310
And1: 2,420
Joined: Jan 22, 2012
Location: Burlington, NC
       

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#82 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:41 pm

+1 for Kentucky this year as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2020: CHA 1, CLE 2 (SGA), BOS 2 (top 53 protected, Kemba :cry: )
2021: CHA 1, BRK 2 (Howard), LAC 2 (SGA)
2022: CHA 1; CHA 2
2023: CHA 1
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,082
And1: 7,982
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#83 » by fatlever » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,082
And1: 7,982
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#84 » by fatlever » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,302
And1: 494
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#85 » by Robot Rock » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:53 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Throughout the team's history, they've drafted

6 players from Kentucky
4 players from Indiana
4 players from UCONN
4 players from UNC
4 international guys
3 players from UCLA
2 players from Duke

bball-ref doesn't list draft night trades so the numbers will be a little different, and it doesn't include 2019, but that doesn't really support any UNC bias argument. If anything, the team has clear Kentucky favoritism.

Since Rock's 2006 qualifier, more players have been drafted from:

Duke, Indiana, UConn, and Kentucky than from UNC

same issues apply as draft trades not included, but I'm still failing to see any sort of bias, especially since UNC is consistently considered a powerhouse who puts out draft picks on a yearly basis.

Just an overall lazy and dumb argument. If you want to criticize MJ, then by all means do so, but use one of his MANY legitimate issues.


It’s not lazy. Call it dumb all you want, but no college who has had more players on the Hornets’ roster — draft, trade, free agency, don’t care — than UNC since Jordan bought in. I guess it’s a coincidence.

Additionally, you’re counting players drafted since 1988 in your totals. Correct me here (please, someone, no one ever steps up :lol: ) but MJ did not own the team in 1988 and thus was unlikely to have a hand in picking Rex Chapman. Or Tony Delk in 1996. I’d even go so far as to say he wasn’t involved in the Jamaal Magloire selection.
JMAC3
Veteran
Posts: 2,980
And1: 564
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#86 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:09 pm

I don’t even know what we are arguing? UNC year in and year out are one of top teams in country. It’s not like MJ an alumni of Auburn and we are taking a ton of nobodies...

Are you just a Duke homer who is mad we don’t lead the NBA in duke guys drafted?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Image
Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,302
And1: 494
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#87 » by Robot Rock » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:20 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I don’t even know what we are arguing? UNC year in and year out are one of top teams in country. It’s not like MJ an alumni of Auburn and we are taking a ton of nobodies...

Are you just a Duke homer who is mad we don’t lead the NBA in duke guys drafted?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


No, I’m not. I don’t advocate drafting a lot of Duke players. Quinn Cook would fit here. I’d rather we get Seth Curry, but we have a Seth Curry on the roster already.

Anyway, I believe that the presence of so many UNC guys on our rosters from year to year and presently as our GM as well are more than coincidental.
DY_nasty
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,856
And1: 1,887
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#88 » by DY_nasty » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:10 pm

who needs facts lmao
User avatar
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,556
And1: 1,445
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Location: Asheville, NC
 

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#89 » by Snidely FC » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:18 pm

Don't expect any more free agent signings.

Already have 14 contracts + the two two-way guys

Batum
Rozier
Biyombo
Zeller
Marvin
MKG
Bridges
Washington
Monk
Bacon
Graham
Hernangomez
Martin
McDaniels
Franks (2way)
Perkins (2way)

CHA recently announced Robert Franks and Josh Perkins as this year's 2-way players.
That means Macura and Chealey are free agents. As posted in the Summer League thread I would love to see Macura sign with CHA but most likely 15th spot will remain unfilled (as it has in recent years). Macura, Chealey can sign with Greensboro or depart.

long story short expect any further personnel changes this summer only via trade
DY_nasty
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,856
And1: 1,887
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#90 » by DY_nasty » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:36 pm

we still need actual centers smh
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,398
And1: 6,862
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#91 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:07 am

Robot Rock wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:My point exactly JMAC. Just a dumb argument.


You asked me something. I answered it. If you didn’t like it, ask me in a different way.

You answered it in a way that a criticism you made at my argument also applied to yours.

I truly think you have to be intentionally disingenuous to believe that MJ cares what college his players went to. I think the fact that in the past five years we've only had two players on our roster (I don't consider summer league relevant) from UNC (and one was traded during his second year) demonstrates we aren't exactly going out of our way to add UNC players. We've shown at least as much loyalty to UConn players (Okafor, Gordon, Kemba, Adrian, Lamb).
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#92 » by gundysmullet » Fri Jul 5, 2019 2:14 am

HornetsFan29 wrote:hell at this point a take a chance on cousins he should be cheap and not cost alot.

Rozier
Bacon
Bridges
PJ
Cousins

would be a pretty entertaing team to watch atleast.


Entertaining due to Cousins perpetual stank face when the rookies will make rookie mistakes, which they will...a lot.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 8,755
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#93 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:49 pm

I love how you said this:

Robot Rock wrote:but your lack of reading comprehension skills prohibited you from seeing that.


Then you said this:

Robot Rock wrote:Additionally, you’re counting players drafted since 1988 in your totals. Correct me here (please, someone, no one ever steps up :lol: ) but MJ did not own the team in 1988


Despite me saying this:

SWedd523 wrote:Since Rock's 2006 qualifier, more players have been drafted from:

Duke, Indiana, UConn, and Kentucky than from UNC

same issues apply as draft trades not included, but I'm still failing to see any sort of bias, especially since UNC is consistently considered a powerhouse who puts out draft picks on a yearly basis.


Image
Image
Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,302
And1: 494
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#94 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jul 5, 2019 2:32 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I love how you said this:

Robot Rock wrote:but your lack of reading comprehension skills prohibited you from seeing that.


Then you said this:

Robot Rock wrote:Additionally, you’re counting players drafted since 1988 in your totals. Correct me here (please, someone, no one ever steps up :lol: ) but MJ did not own the team in 1988


Despite me saying this:

SWedd523 wrote:Since Rock's 2006 qualifier, more players have been drafted from:

Duke, Indiana, UConn, and Kentucky than from UNC

same issues apply as draft trades not included, but I'm still failing to see any sort of bias, especially since UNC is consistently considered a powerhouse who puts out draft picks on a yearly basis.


Image


Played myself for as long as Duke's Frank Jackson played here!

Image

I see that you mentioned it briefly, but you're really fine-printing that Frank Jackson was not technically ever a Hornet and we actually have had more UNC players than Duke players once the draft ended (which, kinda, you know, defeats the point you were making in the first place).

By that logic, I guess the Hornets haven't had anybody from Michigan State here in a while
Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,302
And1: 494
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#95 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jul 5, 2019 2:36 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:My point exactly JMAC. Just a dumb argument.


You asked me something. I answered it. If you didn’t like it, ask me in a different way.

You answered it in a way that a criticism you made at my argument also applied to yours.

I truly think you have to be intentionally disingenuous to believe that MJ cares what college his players went to. I think the fact that in the past five years we've only had two players on our roster (I don't consider summer league relevant) from UNC (and one was traded during his second year) demonstrates we aren't exactly going out of our way to add UNC players. We've shown at least as much loyalty to UConn players (Okafor, Gordon, Kemba, Adrian, Lamb).


No, I just answered your request. You said for me to name UNC players since 2006 (when Jordan bought in). I did.

You just don't like it because it doesn't support your defense. Additionally what I said about more UNC players on the roster than from any other college rings true. Send me all the gifs. Send me every meme you have. Still correct.
Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,302
And1: 494
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#96 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jul 5, 2019 2:45 pm

My initial point, for whomever could not understand, was not that we exclusively sign UNC players. It's that we avoid Duke players when there's any other option.

Of course, I was totally destroyed by those Bobcats-era pictures of Duke players, and the unforgettable 13 whole appearances made by Miles Plumlee a couple years ago. I mean, hell. We had Frank Jackson just two years ago...
predators
Senior
Posts: 586
And1: 212
Joined: Jun 13, 2014
     

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#97 » by predators » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:13 pm

Robot Rock wrote:My initial point, for whomever could not understand, was not that we exclusively sign UNC players. It's that we avoid Duke players when there's any other option.

Of course, I was totally destroyed by those Bobcats-era pictures of Duke players, and the unforgettable 13 whole appearances made by Miles Plumlee a couple years ago. I mean, hell. We had Frank Jackson just two years ago...


Are you arguing that we avoid filling the irrelevant end of the bench players with guys that played for Duke and that it somehow matters that we don't sign fringe NBA players like Tyus Jones? Weirdest argument Ever. Duke players don't even have that great of a track record in the NBA especially given their recent recruiting success. Kyrie/Tatum are the only guys to really live up their hype.
Rich4114
Head Coach
Posts: 6,832
And1: 637
Joined: Mar 11, 2004
Location: PA
   

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#98 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:10 pm

What Duke players that we had the chance to draft within the past 5 years would have been a better pick over others or even what we picked?
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 8,755
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#99 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:35 pm

Rich4114 wrote:What Duke players that we had the chance to draft within the past 5 years would have been a better pick over others or even what we picked?

Shhhh we have a narrative to push here
Image
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 30,467
And1: 11,625
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: House of Diop
 

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#100 » by Diop » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:08 pm

This Duke argument is very boring to read, can we move on?
Image

Return to Charlotte Hornets