ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#361 » by UNCNYC » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:10 am

I have also changed my mind on Cole Anthony. I wouldn't draft him as of yet but he does show great leadership and heart. Also a great teamate. I think he will be a lot better than he has been of recent.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#362 » by UNCNYC » Sat Mar 7, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi guys I made a couple of changes to list OF who I want and don't want to draft.

PLAYERS I DO NOT WANT

SG -
Tyrese Haliburton
Anthony Edwards

SF
Deni Avdija
Jordan Nwora
Precious Achiuwa
Aleksej Pokusevski
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

PF
Obi Toppin
Killian Tillie

C
James Wiseman

-----
PLAYERS I DO WANT

SG
KILLIAN HAYES
ISAIAH JOE
JAMES BOUKNIGHT
Ty-Shon Alexander
Ayo Dosunmu

SF
Leandro Bolmaro
Josh Green
Mario Nakic
Malcolm Cazalon

PF
Amar Sylla
Jalen Smith

C
Jerico Simms
Udoka Azubukie

-----
MY SLEEPERS (I REMOVED TRAVELIN QUEEN)

PG -
Yam Mador
Aurturs Zaggers

SG-
A.J Reeves
A.J Lawson

SF
Aaron Wiggins
C.J. Elleby
Emmitt Matthews Jr.
Lamar Stevens

PF -
Jalen Smith

C
Marko Simonovic
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#363 » by DY_nasty » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:20 pm

why don't you like wiseman?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#364 » by amcoolio » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:36 pm

DY_nasty wrote:why don't you like wiseman?

I don't think he has deepdived him yet like these other prospects
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#365 » by UNCNYC » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:36 pm

Not a good shooter, no real quickness. Not a high basketball IQ. Too much gamble for a high pick. I like him around the 15 pick spot but not top 10. Think we could get just as much out of later in the draft in

Jericho Sims, Neemias Queta, Udoka Azubukie, Ikey Obiagu, Marko Simonovic, Zeke Nnaji

who all give about the same thing. I like Simonovic the most as far as having an outside touch
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#366 » by 316Hornets » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:38 pm

Wiseman is undoubtedly raw and will take some time to adjust playing as an NBA big, but he should thrive in half court basketball where his length and athleticism will be a major strength. In the transition game, he will have some difficulty and stretch bigs will take away his rim protection ability.

Taking a center with a top pick is usually more risky because these guys take time to grow into their massive bodies. DeAndre Ayton is a good example of that, and he was caught using some substances to get the bulk he needs. Wiseman already looks bigger than Ayton does, so I'm fairly confident he will have no problem filling out his frame.

At the end of the day, I don't think Wiseman is going to be the next Giannis but he is likely to be a dominant center that defends the rim and rebounds well with his 9-6 standing reach. For a team that values possessions like the Hornets do and plays a slow pace, Wiseman is a great pick.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#367 » by UNCNYC » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:38 am

Hey guys this is an update to who I WOULD take in order by position. These are the ONLY players as of now I would draft.

I have added a few in.

PG -
Arturs Zagars
Yam Madar

SG -
Killian Hayes
James Bouknight
Isaiah Joe
Ayo Dosunmu
Ty-Shon Alexander

SF -
Leandro Bolmaro
Josh Green
Elijah Hughes - Just added
Mario Nakic
Malcolm Cazalon

PF -
Amar Sylla
Borisa Simanic - Just added and now I am a big fan
Jalen Smith
Kai Jones

C -
Jericho Sims
Ikey Obiagu

Borisa Simanic - He reminds me of Adam Morrison with more height, atheticism and defense

Elijah Hughes - I like his all around game
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#368 » by stinger14 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 1:51 pm

UNCNYC wrote:

Not a good shooter, no real quickness. Not a high basketball IQ. Too much gamble for a high pick. I like him around the 15 pick spot but not top 10. Think we could get just as much out of later in the draft in

Jericho Sims, Neemias Queta, Udoka Azubukie, Ikey Obiagu, Marko Simonovic, Zeke Nnaji

who all give about the same thing. I like Simonovic the most as far as having an outside touch

You like Azubukie? I have always felt he is one of the most overrated players I have seen. Sure the guy dominates when facing smaller guys, or terrible teams. However, he doesn't play well against other good bigs, or against real competition. He is slow footed, terrible defender in pick-n-roll, doesn't play smart, and because of all this commits a lot of fouls. I mean, all of the reasons you are against Wiseman, this guy is worse in every area. Can't speak much on IQ without seeing more of Wiseman, but he is much quicker than Azubukie, and definitely a better shooter as Azubukue is pretty much a dunk on lesser competition guy. He has no jump shot, and in fact no shot outside of a dunk. He even fades to his left when shooting free throws, and is under 40% on free throws in his career at Kansas. Wiseman is the better player now, and is 3 years younger with WAY more potential. I wouldn't pick Azubukie at all, but if I did it would be a mid to late 2nd round pick.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#369 » by UNCNYC » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:13 pm

stinger14 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:

You like Azubukie? I have always felt he is one of the most overrated players I have seen. Sure the guy dominates when facing smaller guys, or terrible teams. However, he doesn't play well against other good bigs, or against real competition. He is slow footed, terrible defender in pick-n-roll, doesn't play smart, and because of all this commits a lot of fouls. I mean, all of the reasons you are against Wiseman, this guy is worse in every area. Can't speak much on IQ without seeing more of Wiseman, but he is much quicker than Azubukie, and definitely a better shooter as Azubukue is pretty much a dunk on lesser competition guy. He has no jump shot, and in fact no shot outside of a dunk. He even fades to his left when shooting free throws, and is under 40% on free throws in his career at Kansas. Wiseman is the better player now, and is 3 years younger with WAY more potential. I wouldn't pick Azubukie at all, but if I did it would be a mid to late 2nd round pick.

It's weird in a sense the way I rate the players I want to draft. What I mean is, I have no intentions of drafting a PG in this draft so that is why I only listed Yam Madar and Arturs Zagars (forgot to include Devon Dotson) because they are listed as potential 2nd rounders. (which by then I would not mind drafting any position and rather sticking to best available).

To sum it up, I list players based on where we are drafting as well as their potential talent. I WOULD consider Wiseman at 15-20 but not at 1-5. That is why he is not on my RADAR but if you check my DEPTH chart he is the #1 rated CENTER I have listed there. Even tho I did rank him number 1 there I have him at a low value number 1, meaning his peers at Center are average at best, and he is just slightly better than they are IMO
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#370 » by 316Hornets » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:02 pm

I've never been a bigger fan of the Bulls, Pistons, Timberwolves, Knicks, Hawks than I am right now. These teams need to figure out a way to win some games!!!!!!
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#371 » by stinger14 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:09 pm

UNCNYC wrote:
stinger14 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:

It's weird in a sense the way I rate the players I want to draft. What I mean is, I have no intentions of drafting a PG in this draft so that is why I only listed Yam Madar and Arturs Zagars (forgot to include Devon Dotson) because they are listed as potential 2nd rounders. (which by then I would not mind drafting any position and rather sticking to best available).

To sum it up, I list players based on where we are drafting as well as their potential talent. I WOULD consider Wiseman at 15-20 but not at 1-5. That is why he is not on my RADAR but if you check my DEPTH chart he is the #1 rated CENTER I have listed there. Even tho I did rank him number 1 there I have him at a low value number 1, meaning his peers at Center are average at best, and he is just slightly better than they are IMO

I completely understand that, but Wiseman is better value at #1 overall than Azubukie is at #51 overall. With the new lottery system, we could draft anywhere at this point. Azubukie is not good at basketball, I seriously would not be surprised if he goes undrafted. I would take 3 local guys over him, either guy from your Tarheels (Brooks or Bacot) over him, and definitely take Carey from Duke over him. Azubukie is not good.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#372 » by UNCNYC » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:10 pm

stinger14 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:
stinger14 wrote:

I completely understand that, but Wiseman is better value at #1 overall than Azubukie is at #51 overall. With the new lottery system, we could draft anywhere at this point. Azubukie is not good at basketball, I seriously would not be surprised if he goes undrafted. I would take 3 local guys over him, either guy from your Tarheels (Brooks or Bacot) over him, and definitely take Carey from Duke over him. Azubukie is not good.

I would not likely take either player at either pick lol. I thinjk in a few years (probably even less time) Wiseman will be a stiff, or D Howard level player now and I think that would be his max.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#373 » by UNCNYC » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:14 pm

Here is who I would take in ORDER. Before I just posted best at position that I liked. I have also added in Lamelo Ball (who I have no idea if I want to draft or not). But these are the players that I am considering in ORDER for our three picks.

PICK 1 -
SG - Killian Hayes
SG - LaMeLo Ball
SG - James Bouknight
SG - Isaiah Joe
SF - Leandro Bolmaro

PICK 2 -
PF - Borisa Simanic
SF - Josh Green
SG - Ayo Dosunmu
SG - Ty-Shon Alexander
PF - Amar Sylla
SF - Elijah Hughes

PICK 3 -
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
C - Jericho Sims
C - Jalen Smith
SF - Mario Nakic
PG - Arturs Zagars
PG - Tom Digbeu
PG - Yam Madar
SF - Emmitt Matthews Jr.
SF - Jordan Nwora
SF - Aaron Wiggins
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#374 » by UNCNYC » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:44 pm

My only new FIND has been Ochai Agbaji. So far I would not draft him, but I did underrate him imo. I have also developed my interrest in John Petty again. He has a lot of tools and I think should be considered for our 2nd, 2nd round pick.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#375 » by 316Hornets » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Some important games on tonight for Tank Watch:

Wizards-Knicks: Knicks have 20 wins, Wizards have 23.
Bulls-Cavs: Bulls have 21 wins, Cavs have 19.

Right now, we're sitting at 22 wins. 3 games ahead of the current #2 Cavs.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#376 » by 316Hornets » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:11 am

316Hornets wrote:Some important games on tonight for Tank Watch:

Wiz win, Bulls win. Tied with the Bulls at 22 wins for #7 now. Next 3 teams all sitting at 20 wins.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#377 » by Soul Rebel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 pm

316Hornets wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Some important games on tonight for Tank Watch:

Wiz win, Bulls win. Tied with the Bulls at 22 wins for #7 now. Next 3 teams all sitting at 20 wins.

.5 game behind the Bulls for 7, so technically we are in 8th still. We are also 3.5 games out of #2 though, so there is hope. 18 games to go and we have a rough stretch in there mid-March --> end of March:

Philly - LAL - PDX - @OKC - LAC - MIA - @ORL

I think GS is the only team that we are not catching, so there is still hope to move out of this 8th spot.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#378 » by UNCNYC » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 am

I think I was wrong in which Twin I thought would be a better player. I believe I rated Cody higher because I think he is the one that played PG which made sense to me since he can also play PG. I do not think Caleb can play PG. But Caleb might be better than Cody. Either way I am happy we got em bofe haha. I still wanna consider drafting McDaniels brother so that we can confuse competition on the court since they both look like twins as well
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#379 » by UNCNYC » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 am

Since we need inside help, these are 2 centers that could be good options late 2nd round

Kaleb Wesson

Marko Simonovic
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#380 » by Diop » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Mario is turning 34 this year, is that right?

Return to Charlotte Hornets