Post#141 » by Buzzzz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Re: Around the NBA 11 

Post#142 » by Radu_Hornets » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:07 am

316Hornets wrote:Orlando's rebuild is what happens when you don't fully commit to the tank. 2013 #2, 2014 #4, 2015 #5, 2016 #11, 2017 #6.

Only 1 pick in the top 3 during a rebuild increases risk of ruin exponentially. Compare that to Philly who had 2 #1s and 2 #3s.

Our timing of a rebuild is fortunate in that the end of our 3rd year will be the 2022 Double draft with the most talent of any draft of the past decade. If we can just commit to the tank this year and next and get two top 3 picks, our chances of success are pretty high.

2019-20 --- Need a top 3 pick
2020-21 --- Need a top 3 pick
2021-22 --- Double draft, top 3 talent can be found at pick 6

Obviously, scouting plays a role too. But, the top picks are usually the safest bets.

You don't need repetitive top 3 picks to succeed a rebuild.
You need to succeed at drafting talent wherever you draft.

I checked the data for the last 8 years. Here some interesting fact about the need for "drafting top 3".

Fact 1: Number of NBA champions which has draft 3 times top 3 = 0
Fact 2: Number of NBA champions which has draft 2 times top 3 = 0
Fact 3: Number of NBA champions which has draft 1 times top 3 = 0

Tanking is not the option.
There are so many examples around the league that you will suck for so many years, without any guarantee of not drafting another Greg Oden top 1.

I feel like the envy of tanking can be compared to the envy we get from looking at ads.
We believed those ads give us the solution to happiness, and we'd be finally happy when we will have those those material things. We fantasise, and accept crappy situation just because we dream of finally be happy when we'll be able to get this or that. Until we realise it's not the solution and we're not happier.

Buying material things doesn't make you happy.
Hard tanking doesn't win championship.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#143 » by catch20two » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:10 am

This Lakers-Suns game feel like playoff intensity.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#144 » by 316Hornets » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 am

Radu_Hornets wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Orlando's rebuild is what happens when you don't fully commit to the tank. 2013 #2, 2014 #4, 2015 #5, 2016 #11, 2017 #6.

Only 1 pick in the top 3 during a rebuild increases risk of ruin exponentially. Compare that to Philly who had 2 #1s and 2 #3s.

Our timing of a rebuild is fortunate in that the end of our 3rd year will be the 2022 Double draft with the most talent of any draft of the past decade. If we can just commit to the tank this year and next and get two top 3 picks, our chances of success are pretty high.

2019-20 --- Need a top 3 pick
2020-21 --- Need a top 3 pick
2021-22 --- Double draft, top 3 talent can be found at pick 6

Obviously, scouting plays a role too. But, the top picks are usually the safest bets.

You don't need repetitive top 3 picks to succeed a rebuild.
You need to succeed at drafting talent wherever you draft.

I checked the data for the last 8 years. Here some interesting fact about the need for "drafting top 3".

Fact 1: Number of NBA champions which has draft 3 times top 3 = 0
Fact 2: Number of NBA champions which has draft 2 times top 3 = 0
Fact 3: Number of NBA champions which has draft 1 times top 3 = 0

Tanking is not the option.
There are so many examples around the league that you will suck for so many years, without any guarantee of not drafting another Greg Oden top 1.

I feel like the envy of tanking can be compared to the envy we get from looking at ads.
We believed those ads give us the solution to happiness, and we'd be finally happy when we will have those those material things. We fantasise, and accept crappy situation just because we dream of finally be happy when we'll be able to get this or that. Until we realise it's not the solution and we're not happier.

Buying material things doesn't make you happy.
Hard tanking doesn't win championship.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Kevin Durant or Lebron James or any top 10 superstar is not going to come and knock on our door. If the goal isn't to win a Championship, then what is the point?

Being successful at drafting is a whole lot easier when you get to pick anyone. Look at the superstars around the league and almost all of them were top picks. Durant, Lebron, Harden, AD, Embiid, Simmons, Irving, Lillard. The odds of hitting a guy like that outside the top 5 is about 1 in 200.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#145 » by 316Hornets » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:25 am

catch20two wrote:This Lakers-Suns game feel like playoff intensity.

It's amazing to me that Dwight is finally playing like everybody has been wanting him to play for like the last 5 years. Being unselfish on offense and not being a distraction. The guy has the best Defensive Box Plus/Minus of his career right now. Of course if I had to bet on it, I'd bet on him going back to his usual antics at some point this season.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#146 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 pm

I can get on board with Tanking is not a road that usually leads to a championship. But talented players win championships and they usually go in the lottery.

Kawhi (15th), Curry (7th), Klay (11th), & Wade (10th) are great examples of guys picked after the top 6 who made a huge difference leading their teams to playoff wins.

The list of top 3 guys who have won it all in that 8 year time frame is pretty small. Duncan (1st), LeBron (1st), & Durant (2nd).

If you go top 6 you get to add Ray Allen (5th), Chris Bosh (4th), & even Shaun Livingston.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#147 » by BigSlam » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:05 pm

So do ping pong balls!! I'm pretty sure they would have loved top #3 picks all those years.

Teams don't have a say in that though.
B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#148 » by LofJ » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:33 pm

The only player Mitch brought in for multiple workouts leading up to the draft was Goga Bitadze and he has looked great for the Pacers. The evidence that he can scout players is pretty strong at this point. I want Kupchak to have as many draft selections as we can get him.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#149 » by predators » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 pm

316Hornets wrote:
predators wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Brandon Clarke looking real solid. I know he was a reach for us, but I was definitely on the fence about picking him.

Shot 7/7 tonight, 18 points and 8 rebounds. Has a 3.7 DBPM.

If we would've kept Kemba, I think Clarke is better than PJ. But PJ is 2 years younger, so better for our group now.

Why? PJ is already a better basketball player, has a higher ceiling, and is 2 years younger. Adding another player that doesn't space the floor isn't going to suddenly give Kemba more room operate on offense. Clarke isn't starting for a bad Memphis team.

Kemba doesn't have 2 years. If he was on the team, the time to compete would be now. Spacing is fine with Zeller shooting 3s, but I'd look to an upgrade if Love was availble. Clarke roaming the lane is good for help defense with Kemba since he gets mismatched so often due to his size.

Not sure I'd call Memphis a bad team. Clarke is getting 22 minutes a game which is pretty reasonable considering his draft position. They also have Jaren Jackson and Jonas Valancianus that Clarke would be competing with minutes for. If Clarke was here in Charlotte, I could see him taking a bigger role with Marvin just playing spot minutes.

I guess the disconnect is if neither player gets better from here on out, I would still rather have PJ Washington. I think he's just a straight up better NBA player right now for basically all 30 teams.

I should let it go, but seeing SGA this year averaging 20 on a decent % is pretty depressing.

I'll probably always subconsciously think Kupchak sucks because of that trade. I still raise an eyebrow over Stephanie Ready's vote for James Harden to all defensive team in 2014.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#150 » by catch20two » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:55 pm

316Hornets wrote:
catch20two wrote:This Lakers-Suns game feel like playoff intensity.

It's amazing to me that Dwight is finally playing like everybody has been wanting him to play for like the last 5 years. Being unselfish on offense and not being a distraction. The guy has the best Defensive Box Plus/Minus of his career right now. Of course if I had to bet on it, I'd bet on him going back to his usual antics at some point this season.

Your last sentence is what I’m kinda thinking. He fooled us the first 10 games too.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#151 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:00 am

Celtics 9-1 with Kemba. Hayward will be back. Such a great team. I'm happy for him and hope to see him in the NBA Finals!
It has been written...
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#152 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:22 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Celtics 9-1 with Kemba. Hayward will be back. Such a great team. I'm happy for him and hope to see him in the NBA Finals!

Horford should've stayed. Dont think they could've afforded Kemba if he did though. Team is fun as hell to watch.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#153 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:35 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Celtics 9-1 with Kemba. Hayward will be back. Such a great team. I'm happy for him and hope to see him in the NBA Finals!

Horford should've stayed. Dont think they could've afforded Kemba if he did though. Team is fun as hell to watch.

Kemba made a smart decision. He picked a team built to win. Don't forget, they own the Grizzlies first round pick. They can add at the deadline if need be.

Not sure if a talent like Horford will become available though. Zeller might be worth something to them.
It has been written...
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#154 » by Diop » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:28 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

i thought that was the plan, thats why they traded away Baynes. Then Horford ran off.

I'm sure they would've have loved Aaron Baynes this year as well. Tough, physical team playing centre
catch20two
RealGM

Post#155 » by catch20two » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Watching the Celtics games sometimes I see why Kyrie used to snap on Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. They both force a lot of unnecessary offense.

But this is the best collection of talent Kemba has played with so I doubt he’ll complain much. He’s played with the likes of Gerald Henderson, Gary Neal, Ramon Sessions, and Byron Mullens forcing offense.

Once Boston get their chemistry right and everyone start playing unselfishly I see no reason why they shouldn’t be the best team in the East.

I’m happy for Kemba.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#156 » by penquin11 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Wanted to expand on what Radu was saying earlier, so here is some data to look at

---TOP 5 PICKS BY YEAR---
Pelicans, Grizzlies, Knicks, Lakers, Cavs

Suns, Kings, Hawks, Grizz, Mavs

76ers, Lakers, Celtics, Suns, Magic

76ers, Lakers, Celtics, Twolves, Pelicans

Twolves, Lakers, 76ers, Knicks, Magic

Cavs, Bucks, 76ers, Magic, Jazz, Celts

Cavs, Magic, Wiz, Lolcats, Suns

Pelicans, Lolcats, Wiz, Cavs, Kings

Cavs, Twolves, Jazz, Cavs, Raps

Wiz, 76ers, Nets, Twolves, Kings

---Worst in League By Year---
2019 Bottom 5
Knicks, Cavs, Suns, Bulls, Hawks

2018 Bottom 5
Suns, Grizz, Hawks, Mavs, Magic

2017 Bottom 5
Nets, Suns, Lakers, 76ers, Magic

2016 Bottom 5
76ers, Lakers, Nets, Suns, Twolves

2015 Bottom 5
Twolves, Knicks, 76ers, Lakers, Magic

2014 Bottom 5
Bucks, 76ers, Magic, Jazz, Celtics

2013 Bottom 5
Magic, Lolcats, Cavs, Suns, Pelicans

2012 Bottom 5
Lolcats, Wiz, Cavs, Pelicans, Nets

2011 Bottom 5
Twolves, Cavs, Raps, Wiz, Nets

2010 Bottom 5
Nets, Twolves, Kings, Wiz, Warriors

---Best in League By Year---
2019 Top 5
Bucks, Raps, Warriors, Nugs, Rockets

2018 Top 5
Rockets, Raps, Warriors, Celts, 76ers

2017 Top 5
Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Celts, Clips

2016 Top 5
Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, Raps, Thunder

2015 Top 5
Warriors, Hawks, Clips, Rockets, Spurs

2014 Top 5
Spurs, Clips, Thunder, Warriors, Rockets

2013 Top 5
Heat, Thunder, Spurs, Nugs, Clips

2012 Top 5
Bulls, Spurs, Thunder, Heat, Pacers

2011 Top 5
Bulls, Spurs, Heat, Lakers, Mavs

2010 Top 5
Cavs, Magic, Lakers, Mavs, Suns
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#157 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:31 pm

The vultures are circling Aaron Gordon. Watch someone poach him and turn him into a dynamic small-ball center. The Magic drafted Oladipo and Sabonis but gave them up too soon.
It has been written...
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#158 » by GelbeWand09 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:27 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:The vultures are circling Aaron Gordon. Watch someone poach him and turn him into a dynamic small-ball center. The Magic drafted Oladipo and Sabonis but gave them up too soon.

AG doesnt have the length, to be a full time small ball center. He got pretty mediocre wingspan unlike Draymond, but he would look much better on a team with a good PG / playmaker with high pace. We are always one of the slowest 3-5 teams in the leaque, because of the Center based offense.

About our rebuild / tanking. Yea we are probably one of the worst examples. We had the 2nd worst record over that 6 years behind Philly, but still only had 1 top 3 pick, because except 1 season, we never went full tank and always drafted 1-2 pick behind the franchise players. It doesnt helped, that we never had luck in the lottery, we never jumped but where over jumped a few times.
The last 2 bad years, we won the last meaningless game of the season and lost a draft spot in each. In the last year we had a tie with Dallas & ATL before that game, which cost us the chance for Trae & Doncic :noway:
But we made so many dumb trades, after the good start of the rebuild, because management wanted the playoffs finally.
Dipo + draft rights for Sabonis for a few games of Ibaka
Tobias Harris for expiring contract, which we used to give Biyombo one of the leaques 3 worst contracts :lol:
In addition to that, 4 of our last 5 1st round picks are busts (2 top 6 picks :nonono: ) or traded (one is Fultz, so some hope). Only pick we hit in that time was Isaac. He at least is already our most impactful player & top 3 defender in the leaque with improving offense.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#159 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Read on Twitter

New York reporter shocked to learn of small markets.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#160 » by Diop » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:28 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:The vultures are circling Aaron Gordon. Watch someone poach him and turn him into a dynamic small-ball center. The Magic drafted Oladipo and Sabonis but gave them up too soon.

AG doesnt have the length, to be a full time small ball center. He got pretty mediocre wingspan unlike Draymond, but he would look much better on a team with a good PG / playmaker with high pace. We are always one of the slowest 3-5 teams in the leaque, because of the Center based offense.

About our rebuild / tanking. Yea we are probably one of the worst examples. We had the 2nd worst record over that 6 years behind Philly, but still only had 1 top 3 pick, because except 1 season, we never went full tank and always drafted 1-2 pick behind the franchise players. It doesnt helped, that we never had luck in the lottery, we never jumped but where over jumped a few times.
The last 2 bad years, we won the last meaningless game of the season and lost a draft spot in each. In the last year we had a tie with Dallas & ATL before that game, which cost us the chance for Trae & Doncic :noway:
But we made so many dumb trades, after the good start of the rebuild, because management wanted the playoffs finally.
Dipo + draft rights for Sabonis for a few games of Ibaka
Tobias Harris for expiring contract, which we used to give Biyombo one of the leaques 3 worst contracts :lol:
In addition to that, 4 of our last 5 1st round picks are busts (2 top 6 picks :nonono: ) or traded (one is Fultz, so some hope). Only pick we hit in that time was Isaac. He at least is already our most impactful player & top 3 defender in the leaque with improving offense.

The Ibaka trade was the worst. Dipo was so likeable as well. Funny how Indiana ended up the big winners from that trade

Return to Charlotte Hornets