ImageImage

People don't talk enough about how awful the Hornets are

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,187

Re: People don't talk enough about how awful the Hornets are 

Post#61 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:49 pm

LofJ wrote:Mitch needs to make a trade so we can have something to talk about other than how awful things are.

It’s getting old for me. This team was going to get shat on no matter what they did. Just imagine an alternate reality where we signed Kemba to a $190m deal. The stories would be about how we locked ourselves into mediocrity for the next 5 seasons. It was lose lose. I’m confident in that. They decided to cut bait, take the hits and try to build from here. There’s lots of arguments we can make around what they should’ve done, but reality is with what they had this summer - there wasn’t much that they could’ve done where they’d get a ton of people praising them for it.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,532

Post#62 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
LofJ wrote:Mitch needs to make a trade so we can have something to talk about other than how awful things are.

It’s getting old for me. This team was going to get shat on no matter what they did. Just imagine an alternate reality where we signed Kemba to a $190m deal. The stories would be about how we locked ourselves into mediocrity for the next 5 seasons. It was lose lose. I’m confident in that. They decided to cut bait, take the hits and try to build from here. There’s lots of arguments we can make around what they should’ve done, but reality is with what they had this summer - there wasn’t much that they could’ve done where they’d get a ton of people praising them for it.

I'm not happy with MJ, but I don't disagree.

I will say though that the replies to the team Twitter account are hilarious. People aren't happy, but at least they're finding ways to have some fun with it.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#63 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 pm

The key thing that I took away from draft night this year was Mitch talking about not making deals because it sacrificed too much of the future. I'm not 100% if he was talking about teams wanting too many draft picks (like we saw being dealt later), feeling unwilling to deal the one the team had when PJ was on the board, or if he was alluding to a long term plan that would have had little flexibility if another big contract like Love had been brought on bard. Regardless, though, I think that similar principles were at work with Kemba's contract offer. If he were willing to sign for something that worked for the team long term they really wanted him back ... if not then they obviously felt it was better to move on.

I think that the time to move Kemba would have been the summer before last, when Cho was still here. Beyond that the return was going to be minimal. Like others have said I would rather have Terry than some of the other options that have been floated about.

No doubt the team is in a bind and is suffering from YEARS of bad decisions. But I honestly feel better about the last two years than I have about the few before that. Mitch just seems to be a much more sure hand than Cho ever was - and my perception is that MJ is giving Mitch more leeway than he ever gave the ping-pong guru ... which is a really good thing.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#64 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Anyone who looks at Kemba as an isolated incident rather than a long term pattern of mismanagement spanning years under Cho, is not looking at the big picture, not looking in the right places and placing blame on the wrong group. It was Cho's whole group that sucked. They were not top of the line pro scouts. They were amateurs. Fans could have made better selections than Biz, MKG, Vonleh, Cody, Hairston and Kaminsky, not to mention a first for Belinelli? 2 seconds for Hernangomez? It's not like Mitch came along and poof, Kemba disappeared. Cho's contracts to to Nic, Marvin, MKG etc. made it impossible to remain competitive with a maxed Kemba. And Mitch was not gonna sacrifice draft picks, Miles or MONK to move them.
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,532

Post#65 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 pm

I definitely feel like Mitch has been given ultimate authority over the draft which is a big improvement. MJ likely respects his opinion more given his time under West and the fact that he was a professional athlete. But short-term improvements mean little if you don't also have a plan for the long-term. And if Buzz Peterson is the longer-term plan I hope he has similar or better confidence and ability when compared to Mitch.

That said my uncle who was at UNC with Buzz said that he cheated off him in one of his classes. So I hope he's matured a lot sense then. A lot of athletes have a higher opinion of themselves than is warranted in areas not related to athletic performance. And Buzz being the understudy to Mitch who are both UNC alumni under another UNC alumni doesn't exactly dissuade people from having the opinion that MJ runs things via nepotism.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,687

Post#66 » by fatlever » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:41 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Anyone who looks at Kemba as an isolated incident rather than a long term pattern of mismanagement spanning years under Cho, is not looking at the big picture, not looking in the right places and placing blame on the wrong group. It was Cho's whole group that sucked. They were not top of the line pro scouts. They were amateurs. Fans could have made better selections than Biz, MKG, Vonleh, Cody, Hairston and Kaminsky, not to mention a first for Belinelli? 2 seconds for Hernangomez? It's not like Mitch came along and poof, Kemba disappeared. Cho's contracts to to Nic, Marvin, MKG etc. made it impossible to remain competitive with a maxed Kemba. And Mitch was not gonna sacrifice draft picks, Miles or MONK to move them.
How sure are you that rich Cho had the ultimate Authority on The Scouting Department? Go back and look at some of the scouts and who was in charge of that scouting Department several years ago. Buzz Peterson was the director of scouting. Connection, Michael Jordan's ex-roommate. And Dickey Simpkins was one of our Scouts. Connection, ex-teammate of Jordan from Chicago.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#67 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:27 am

fatlever wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Anyone who looks at Kemba as an isolated incident rather than a long term pattern of mismanagement spanning years under Cho, is not looking at the big picture, not looking in the right places and placing blame on the wrong group. It was Cho's whole group that sucked. They were not top of the line pro scouts. They were amateurs. Fans could have made better selections than Biz, MKG, Vonleh, Cody, Hairston and Kaminsky, not to mention a first for Belinelli? 2 seconds for Hernangomez? It's not like Mitch came along and poof, Kemba disappeared. Cho's contracts to to Nic, Marvin, MKG etc. made it impossible to remain competitive with a maxed Kemba. And Mitch was not gonna sacrifice draft picks, Miles or MONK to move them.
How sure are you that rich Cho had the ultimate Authority on The Scouting Department? Go back and look at some of the scouts and who was in charge of that scouting Department several years ago. Buzz Peterson was the director of scouting. Connection, Michael Jordan's ex-roommate. And Dickey Simpkins was one of our Scouts. Connection, ex-teammate of Jordan from Chicago.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Then the problem seems to be that Cho didn't have good scouts and he wasn't a good enough scout himself to be able to tell the difference. That's the main difference with Kupchak and Cho. You look at their record in drafts and clearly see who can scout players and who had no idea how do analyze and discern scouting reports. Cho's task was to manage cap. His failure to do that lingers as well. It's financial limitations that handcuffed the Hornets in the Kemba offer. And what good is a GM who has poor command of scouting?
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,674

Post#68 » by yosemiteben » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:29 am

You can't blame Cho for the Hornets failing to move Kemba when they knew he wasn't going to take the contact they were going to offer. That is not a Cho problem.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#69 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 am

yosemiteben wrote:You can't blame Cho for the Hornets failing to move Kemba when they knew he wasn't going to take the contact they were going to offer. That is not a Cho problem.

Kupchak did move Kemba, for Rozier. And you can't blame Kupchak for deciding on Rozier now when you have no proof of Mitch turning down any offers for Kemba. You have no evidence of an offer period, let alone the nature of an offer that would enable you to compare it to Rozier.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,674

Post#70 » by yosemiteben » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:37 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:You can't blame Cho for the Hornets failing to move Kemba when they knew he wasn't going to take the contact they were going to offer. That is not a Cho problem.

Kupchak did move Kemba, for Rozier.

At any other time in the last three years you would have vomited on that trade. Let's not pretend like that was anywhere close to decent value.

MasterIchiro wrote:And you can't blame Kupchak for deciding on Rozier now when you have no proof of Mitch turning down any offers for Kemba.

I can't criticize a GM for not maximizing his asset? I mean...isn't that his job? If not maxing Kemba was even a possibility, this was a **** stupid way to handle things.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#71 » by Splitta » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:39 am

I am sure Cho deserves some of the blame but he was probably just a pawn used by Cliff and MJ at their will. As we all should remember Cliff wanted Cho to sign Batum, Marv, MKG, and Cody as these guys with Kemba would be a playoff core. Unfortunately MJ bought that stupid logic. Cho just emptied the bank on them as it was probably necessary at the time since they begged Batum to give them a hometown discount...lol. Probably Cliff and MJ are primarily responsible for the mess we are in and everyone seems to be only blaming Cho.
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Re: 16.0k People don't talk enough about how awful the Hornets are 

Post#72 » by geraldwallace » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:48 am

Robot Rock wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
Lol theyll be the Seattle Sonics, Las Vegas Hornets or Kansas City Hornets the instant they’re sold. No way will they stay here and rank outside the top 29 in attendance.

Only Seattle is a better market, so that would be a dumb move on the part of the hypothetical buyer.

Charlotte is only better than Kansas City of those three. Of course, New Orleans is a crappier market than Charlotte too. Look how that worked out. I just don’t see this team staying in Charlotte much longer.

Fans are indifferent if not gone. Corporate sponsorship is going to erode and they lost a marketing whiz to the Giants. Oh and the roster is the fifth-worst in league history — at best.

Fans like you disgust me the **** eternal pessimism and negativity. This team is not one of the worst 5 roster of all time shut the hell up. You guys were all **** excited about Miles and Dwayne wit Kemba but now that Kemba is gone everyone is acting like the world has ended. I don’t think Kemba accounted for 39 wins.

Stop crying and realize this team isn’t that bad we’ll be a 18-30 win team and get a top 5 pick. Not much a difference than how the last few years have gone except now we have some sliver of hope of landing a top 2 pick where we might draft someone who will become a top 10 player for the next 12 years.

Also our attendance as consistently been between either 18-24 the past 10 years even in the 7 win season we were 24th in attendance and the season following that? 23rd. So there is teams with worse issues than us.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Re: 16.0k People don't talk enough about how awful the Hornets are 

Post#73 » by Robot Rock » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:56 am

geraldwallace wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Only Seattle is a better market, so that would be a dumb move on the part of the hypothetical buyer.

Charlotte is only better than Kansas City of those three. Of course, New Orleans is a crappier market than Charlotte too. Look how that worked out. I just don’t see this team staying in Charlotte much longer.

Fans are indifferent if not gone. Corporate sponsorship is going to erode and they lost a marketing whiz to the Giants. Oh and the roster is the fifth-worst in league history — at best.

Fans like you disgust me the **** eternal pessimism and negativity. This team is not one of the worst 5 roster of all time shut the hell up. You guys were all **** excited about Miles and Dwayne wit Kemba but now that Kemba is gone everyone is acting like the world has ended. I don’t think Kemba accounted for 39 wins.

Stop crying and realize this team isn’t that bad we’ll be a 18-30 win team and get a top 5 pick. Not much a difference than how the last few years have gone except now we have some sliver of hope of landing a top 2 pick where we might draft someone who will become a top 10 player for the next 12 years.

Also our attendance as consistently been between either 18-24 the past 10 years even in the 7 win season we were 24th in attendance and the season following that? 23rd. So there is teams with worse issues than us.

Your tongue must be tired from licking MJ’s boots. Years of incompetence have this godforsaken franchise the laughingstock of not just the NBA but of American sports as a whole. This ain’t the time to lick boots.
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#74 » by Robot Rock » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:59 am

I don’t get the arguments that Cho sucks and Mitch is better, or that Mitch sucks and Cho wasn’t to blame. They both suck. If Mitch played college basketball for Indiana, he’d be working elsewhere.

Now line up and everybody tell me “BuZz PeTeRsoN iS hErE bEcAuSe He’S tHe RiGhT mAn To Be AsSisTaNt Gm AnD iT’s NoT bEcAuSe He WaS mJ’s RoOmMaTe”
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#75 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:17 am

KembaWalker wrote:I've honestly never had 1 issue with the mods in my 10 years here and I say this as someone who is still perma banned from the general board for going on like 5 years now thanks to tsherkin baiting
Frankly it seems the mods here have a lot more patience than I do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#76 » by geraldwallace » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:34 am

Robot Rock wrote:I don’t get the arguments that Cho sucks and Mitch is better, or that Mitch sucks and Cho wasn’t to blame. They both suck. If Mitch played college basketball for Indiana, he’d be working elsewhere.

Now line up and everybody tell me “BuZz PeTeRsoN iS hErE bEcAuSe He’S tHe RiGhT mAn To Be AsSisTaNt Gm AnD iT’s NoT bEcAuSe He WaS mJ’s RoOmMaTe”

MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#77 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:37 am

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Kupchak did move Kemba, for Rozier.

At any other time in the last three years you would have vomited on that trade. Let's not pretend like that was anywhere close to decent value.

MasterIchiro wrote:And you can't blame Kupchak for deciding on Rozier now when you have no proof of Mitch turning down any offers for Kemba.

I can't criticize a GM for not maximizing his asset? I mean...isn't that his job? If not maxing Kemba was even a possibility, this was a **** stupid way to handle things.

Cite an offer for Kemba that Mitch failed to maximize. You have absolutely zero evidence of an offer. So you are crying about some fantasy
It has been written...
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#78 » by Robot Rock » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:01 am

geraldwallace wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:I don’t get the arguments that Cho sucks and Mitch is better, or that Mitch sucks and Cho wasn’t to blame. They both suck. If Mitch played college basketball for Indiana, he’d be working elsewhere.

:lol: :lol: “despite circumstances” :lol: :lol:
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#79 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:44 am

Thread rebrand - Why people don't hate the Hornets enough - The Robot Rock Thread
It has been written...
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,095

Post#80 » by KembaWalker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:06 pm

This fake narrative that we passed on some kind of alleged super trade package seems to have only appeared once Kemba officially was tied to Boston and suddenly became 100x more relevant because of that. Am I the only one that remembers that Kemba couldn't even get in the all star game 2 years ago before Goran Dragic?

Thats how he was viewed around the league 2 years ago, a guy who was maybe an all star in a horrible conference if 3 or 4 other guys on the team go down with injuries.

Return to Charlotte Hornets