316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Re: SGA envy...we messed up again 

Post#21 » by 316Hornets » Thu Jan 2, 2020 1:57 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/12

still dead last btw. the fact that SGA is balling just makes it worse. We could've taken literally anyone else

Balling? Come on now. He does a good job at getting layups, but beyond that he's below average. I'd rather have Aaron Holiday, a guy that can do more than score layups.

this is so petty :lol:

"he's only averaging 20 a game in his second year. not like he's good or anything"

I just don't think SGA moves the needle very much. His on/off court numbers are negative this year. A lot of guys can score 20 a game if you give them almost 16 shots a game.

And, like I said, I'm intrigued by SGA's potential. He isn't bad by any means, but there has to be some development from him in his outside shot for him to be considered a prospect I'd be sad we missed out on.

If there was a way to combine SGA & Devonte into one person, that would be a superstar.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#22 » by DY_nasty » Thu Jan 2, 2020 3:17 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:The Mitchell Monk ordeal is the one that irks me, but hell we could do this all day long about literally every single draft.

At least Monk was top 5 projected by many and only slipped because several teams took odd picks. Mitchell's stock only went up after our initial interest in him ironically :lol:

I'm not mad at a guy coming out of nowhere and shining either way. I felt the same about Booker. The guy wasn't even allowed to dribble in Kentucky (because he couldn't beat out the twins as ballhandlers) and shows up in the NBA as one of the best PnR guards in the game. Draft is luck sometimes.

I am upset about a guy with clear as day flaws being taken over a guy who was the better player and better fit. Lucks got nothing to do with that. What irks me the most about Miles is that he hasn't even come close to matching his activity level in college - not his consistent lapses on defense or his lack of any moves under the 3pt line aside from running floater across the lane and nba2k12 spin move. It kills me that guys like Marv and Zeller hustle harder in the paint than he does when they can barely move at all.

He's getting 30 minutes a night because we just can't give them to anyone else
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#23 » by predators » Thu Jan 2, 2020 4:12 pm

Graham & SGA's efficiency numbers are basically identical but SGA is 3 years younger and **** huge for his position. I'm pretty sure SGA has a taller standing reach than Miles.(Too lazy to look it up.) I would absolutely make that trade even the day after the 40 point Graham game.

I didn't realize that Monk was so small for a SG until after we drafted him.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#24 » by NCHeels2008 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 7:59 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:The Mitchell Monk ordeal is the one that irks me, but hell we could do this all day long about literally every single draft.

we should find a way to bet on the players the Hornets pass on succeeding, there seems no surer bet lately
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#25 » by Benjamin Linus » Thu Jan 2, 2020 10:22 pm

It's a tradition unlike any other
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#26 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:00 am

Benjamin Linus wrote:It's a tradition unlike any other

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#27 » by 316Hornets » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:29 am

Well, I'm not the envious type but what could have been..

The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#28 » by _tijo_ » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:14 am

Unless you document your picks prior to each draft, then threads like this are the worst kind of sports fan... Support your guys.

Yeah, it's easy to say in hindsight what we should have done knowing the outcomes. Sheesh. I also should have drafted McCaffrey, Michael Thomas, Dalvin Cook, and Lamar Jackson on my fantasy team.

Enjoy the fact that we got PJ this year. Enjoy that we got a gem in Devonte Graham. Yeah, Terry is expensive, but he's not Batum... he's actually playing hard and produces and still is getting better. I still have hope for Monk and Miles, even though I didn't like the Miles pick at the time, I'm going to be optimistic that he's going to figure it out.

And we're getting a C. Biz and MKG come off the books, we're going to get someone in the offseason. Mitch knows it. We tried to get WCS this past year, which would have been a good move, he just took less money to be on a worse team. Go figure.

This is a fun team who was supposed to be the worst team in the league, read the pre-season predictions from the "experts". Yeah it has flaws. But it is vastly outperforming expectations.
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,522

Post#29 » by Bassman » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:38 am

Believe me I’m enjoying most of our team, and the year/effort I am seeing. I am a supporter of the youth development movement, love the emergence of Graham (who I was thrilled for us to draft) and excited for PJ. I even sorta like Miles, but just believe he is struggling to fit into a role in the league. I called out SGA for his production and rise while lamenting we should have kept him. Fair conversation to have. Not hate. I frankly think PJ could be/should be our starting 3 as he is an undersized 4 with low rebounding levels for his position. Miles might then be a player we should consider trading for a bigger PF.

Now, I hate Batum with a passion. Piece of overpaid lazy junk now rightly stuck on the bench. We have a collection of misfit toys that will someday get swept out with the garbage...thank goodness.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#30 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:53 am

We did this thread on draft day way back when. It was 20 pages long and there were a lot of hurt feelings. Going to be avoiding this one from now on. Honestly getting tired of going in every thread and seeing someone complaining about past draft picks. 100% with _Tijo_ on this one.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#31 » by DY_nasty » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:58 am

breh its not personal. i hope all these guys have the greatest lives they can

but i'm not gonna be in love with a player simply because he plays for my team. that's all it is

Return to Charlotte Hornets