ImageImage

Ball Don't Lie - The LaMelo Ball Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop

karkinos
Head Coach
Posts: 6,080
And1: 1,907
Joined: Nov 06, 2009

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1041 » by karkinos » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:42 pm

saw lamelo live vs new orleans pelicans
he's the real deal, congrats
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 10,996
And1: 5,628
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1042 » by Braggins » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:18 pm

Did LaMelo train with Lonzo during the long covid break?
NCHeels2008
RealGM
Posts: 11,514
And1: 1,790
Joined: Aug 24, 2005

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1043 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:Lamelo is what this franchise needed someone to make it nationally relevant

I agree LaMelo has given the team a huge lift. Just the energy he brings seems to motivate the team.


you could see it from his first preseason game, his passes get people to wanna run the floor
Chapelchilla
Senior
Posts: 670
And1: 329
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1044 » by Chapelchilla » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:33 pm

penquin11 wrote:Guys I'm scared. I think we may have possibly selected the best player in the draft this year and I've never experienced that. Even though it's early LaMelo is clearly going to be a special player.


lol, right! It’s like we opened the Christmas presents early and still got the keys to a Porsche
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 34,625
And1: 10,565
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1045 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Whens the last time a player won rookie of the year and 6th man of the year in the same season
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KembaWalker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,239
And1: 1,206
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1046 » by KembaWalker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:20 pm

I'm not gonna let people slow me down on the Melo hype train either..I still remember the goal post moving, cold water throwing on Cam Newton's start, so many people just trying to stop people from enjoying history and having hope when we barely get any from sports in this city.
Image
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 38,593
And1: 7,975
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1047 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Whens the last time a player won rookie of the year and 6th man of the year in the same season

Nobody's ever done both, but Ben Gordon was the last rookie to win 6MOY. Mek was the ROY that year
User avatar
James Gatz
Veteran
Posts: 2,637
And1: 607
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1048 » by James Gatz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:37 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Whens the last time a player won rookie of the year and 6th man of the year in the same season

Nobody's ever done both, but Ben Gordon was the last rookie to win 6MOY. Mek was the ROY that year


Kyrus, where you at on LaMelo now? Not intending to put you on blast just legit curious.

I love the optimism of this thread currently but I think we do need to tamper our expectations somewhat for the rest of this season. Melo will certainly hit the rookie wall at some point.
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 38,593
And1: 7,975
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1049 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm

James Gatz wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Whens the last time a player won rookie of the year and 6th man of the year in the same season

Nobody's ever done both, but Ben Gordon was the last rookie to win 6MOY. Mek was the ROY that year


Kyrus, where you at on LaMelo now? Not intending to put you on blast just legit curious.

I love the optimism of this thread currently but I think we do need to tamper our expectations somewhat for the rest of this season. Melo will certainly hit the rookie wall at some point.

Pleasantly surprised and hopeful. If he keeps up with his current play I'm happy with the pick. I'm waiting till the league as a whole makes adjustments and how he powers through the rookie wall before proclaiming him the next GOAT though.

The shot and the defense were always the biggest thing driving me away from him as a draft prospcet, and neither has been anywhere as bad as I was expecting (was expecting Westbrook level outside shooting and Trae level defense). So I'm optimistic.
User avatar
wilson115
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 165
Joined: Aug 21, 2020
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1050 » by wilson115 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:07 pm

Okay, so someone really did try to look at something that I thought defied analysis. Shared by Pearlman:

What is “feel?”

If I had to describe feel in more concrete terms, I’d describe it as the sum of a player’s pattern recognition, visual processing (especially spatial recognition), and processing speed.

... I do think all three subcategories of feel can be developed. We’ve seen a small scale “experiment” of this kind recently, in-fact. The Ball brothers played their entire youth careers in a free-flowing, fast paced, open offense. The goal, especially at Chino Hills, was to create advantages through a series of fast paced offensive possessions designed to force quick decisions. This meant that fast processors thrived, and those that took longer to process found little success. The result was two Balls drafted in the top 3 of their respective drafts. We don’t talk about LiAngelo.

Both Lonzo and LaMelo were highly touted as decision-makers and creators coming out of college. The NBA is the highest level of professional basketball worldwide, and that means the margins are extremely fine. In a league filled with world best athletes who have been playing basketball for decades, the pace of play is breakneck and that means each decision you make is a quick one, theoretically a half second or less in some offenses. After years in similar systems, the Ball Brothers became experts at making good decisions with little time to do so, and their respective tenures in the league have reflected that so far.

https://ezhoops.co/2021/01/04/feel-and-feel-accessories/
Chapelchilla
Senior
Posts: 670
And1: 329
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1051 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:07 pm

wilson115 wrote:Okay, so someone really did try to look at something that I thought defied analysis. Shared by Pearlman:

What is “feel?”

If I had to describe feel in more concrete terms, I’d describe it as the sum of a player’s pattern recognition, visual processing (especially spatial recognition), and processing speed.

... I do think all three subcategories of feel can be developed. We’ve seen a small scale “experiment” of this kind recently, in-fact. The Ball brothers played their entire youth careers in a free-flowing, fast paced, open offense. The goal, especially at Chino Hills, was to create advantages through a series of fast paced offensive possessions designed to force quick decisions. This meant that fast processors thrived, and those that took longer to process found little success. The result was two Balls drafted in the top 3 of their respective drafts. We don’t talk about LiAngelo.

Both Lonzo and LaMelo were highly touted as decision-makers and creators coming out of college. The NBA is the highest level of professional basketball worldwide, and that means the margins are extremely fine. In a league filled with world best athletes who have been playing basketball for decades, the pace of play is breakneck and that means each decision you make is a quick one, theoretically a half second or less in some offenses. After years in similar systems, the Ball Brothers became experts at making good decisions with little time to do so, and their respective tenures in the league have reflected that so far.

https://ezhoops.co/2021/01/04/feel-and-feel-accessories/


Interesting read. Thanks
User avatar
penquin11
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,467
And1: 87
Joined: Nov 16, 2010
         

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1052 » by penquin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:35 am

Dude went 3-13 tonight but still managed to finish +4 in +/- stats with 14 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Really once he masters his shot he will be an NBA Superstar.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
Rich4114
Head Coach
Posts: 7,418
And1: 1,214
Joined: Mar 11, 2004
Location: PA
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1053 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:19 am

penquin11 wrote:Dude went 3-13 tonight but still managed to finish +4 in +/- stats with 14 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Really once he masters his shot he will be an NBA Superstar.


Particularly the ability to finish at the rim and absorb fouls to get to the line. If he can put some muscle on for next season and work on that part of his game to add to what he’s already got (at 19 years old!) oh man.
MugzZo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,435
And1: 608
Joined: Mar 21, 2017

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1054 » by MugzZo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:22 am

penquin11 wrote:Dude went 3-13 tonight but still managed to finish +4 in +/- stats with 14 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Really once he masters his shot he will be an NBA Superstar.
What if Co-ROY'S Jason Kidd, and Grant Hill fused? that's how I look at LaMelo's potential.
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 34,625
And1: 10,565
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1055 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:58 am

MugzZo wrote:
penquin11 wrote:Dude went 3-13 tonight but still managed to finish +4 in +/- stats with 14 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Really once he masters his shot he will be an NBA Superstar.
What if Co-ROY'S Jason Kidd, and Grant Hill fused? that's how I look at LaMelo's potential.


Maybe if Ball was anything close to Hills athleticism
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
User avatar
penquin11
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,467
And1: 87
Joined: Nov 16, 2010
         

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1056 » by penquin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MugzZo wrote:
penquin11 wrote:Dude went 3-13 tonight but still managed to finish +4 in +/- stats with 14 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Really once he masters his shot he will be an NBA Superstar.
What if Co-ROY'S Jason Kidd, and Grant Hill fused? that's how I look at LaMelo's potential.


Maybe if Ball was anything close to Hills athleticism


People always forget what a freak that dude was prior to his injury. You have to wonder just how good he would've been had he not gotten injured.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
MugzZo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,435
And1: 608
Joined: Mar 21, 2017

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1057 » by MugzZo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MugzZo wrote:
penquin11 wrote:Dude went 3-13 tonight but still managed to finish +4 in +/- stats with 14 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Really once he masters his shot he will be an NBA Superstar.
What if Co-ROY'S Jason Kidd, and Grant Hill fused? that's how I look at LaMelo's potential.


Maybe if Ball was anything close to Hills athleticism
Kidd was a limited athlete. So im thinking more of a happy medium. If he gains 15 to 20 pounds over the next 2 years he has point forward potential in certain lineups.
Soul Rebel
Junior
Posts: 388
And1: 214
Joined: Jun 10, 2015
Location: SEA: HNL : CLT
Contact:
         

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1058 » by Soul Rebel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:54 pm

I don't know if this has been asked, but have we seen LaMelo dunk yet?

Not imperative, but a 6'7" super sudden player surely has had the opportunity in one of his FG attempts to yam it home....I don't recall seeing it yet.
Image
User avatar
James Gatz
Veteran
Posts: 2,637
And1: 607
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1059 » by James Gatz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:27 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:I don't know if this has been asked, but have we seen LaMelo dunk yet?

Not imperative, but a 6'7" super sudden player surely has had the opportunity in one of his FG attempts to yam it home....I don't recall seeing it yet.


He's had one according to basketball ref and I believe it was in the OKC game on a fastbreak.

LaMelo has below average literal pop. It's something that hopefully improves as he gets stronger in his lower body but I wouldn't expect him to ever be a guy who really yams.
User avatar
MPM
Starter
Posts: 2,325
And1: 694
Joined: Mar 21, 2009
Location: Mouse Town
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1060 » by MPM » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:I don't know if this has been asked, but have we seen LaMelo dunk yet?

Not imperative, but a 6'7" super sudden player surely has had the opportunity in one of his FG attempts to yam it home....I don't recall seeing it yet.


Recall a soft flush in the first game or two, but - yeah - he'll likely always be a finesse finisher.

EDIT - found it - v. OKC

Return to Charlotte Hornets