Re: Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread 

Post#1761 » by yosemiteben » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:52 am

Read on Twitter
SWedd523
General Manager
And1: 2,379

Post#1762 » by SWedd523 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:01 am

Ball strikes me as someone who would thrive from a very direct, no BS, hands on developmental coach. All of the talent in the world but hasn't really had anyone holding him accountable or keeping him in check since he was basically a pre-teen.

It's still on him to be receptive and, to my surprise, he very much so appears to be despite his incredibly flamboyant outward projection.

Folks dog on JB a lot as a coach, but there's no denying he has been at the head of some pretty awesome player development. Guys like Devonte and Miles, Cody Martin, Melo, even guys like McD and Dicky, hell you could even argue Rozier a little bit. Really the only guy who hasn't had positive development has been PJ which has more to do with his personal life than anything else.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,901

Post#1763 » by fatlever » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 am

gone are the old days were our young players never improved, except kemba..... after 6 years.
okafor
felton
may
ammo
ajinca
hendo
augustin
vonleh
frank
biz
zeller
mkg

not a a single **** one showed real noticeable improvement
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#1764 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:27 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Ball strikes me as someone who would thrive from a very direct, no BS, hands on developmental coach. All of the talent in the world but hasn't really had anyone holding him accountable or keeping him in check since he was basically a pre-teen.

It's still on him to be receptive and, to my surprise, he very much so appears to be despite his incredibly flamboyant outward projection.

Folks dog on JB a lot as a coach, but there's no denying he has been at the head of some pretty awesome player development. Guys like Devonte and Miles, Cody Martin, Melo, even guys like McD and Dicky, hell you could even argue Rozier a little bit. Really the only guy who hasn't had positive development has been PJ which has more to do with his personal life than anything else.

we must have some ridiculously good shooting coach in the ranks because nearly all these guys have gone from mediocre shooters to good/great ones.

Rozier was a brick layer in Boston till he came here
Melo had major shot questions as a prospect and put those all to bed quickly
Miles was a mediocre shooter his first two years and became very good
McDaniels/Martin both got to a good level
Monk figured it out in year 4
Devonte' blew up in 19-20
even PJ who doesn't appear to have improved much since coming to the NBA, wasn't much of a shooter in college

JB doesn't miss with the player development. For this alone, I'm happy to keep him and his staff around for now. This is where we truly appreciate how large a difference it is between him and Clifford
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 7,067

Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread 

Post#1765 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:38 am

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
MPM
Veteran
And1: 1,302

Post#1766 » by MPM » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:48 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Ball strikes me as someone who would thrive from a very direct, no BS, hands on developmental coach. All of the talent in the world but hasn't really had anyone holding him accountable or keeping him in check since he was basically a pre-teen.

we must have some ridiculously good shooting coach in the ranks because nearly all these guys have gone from mediocre shooters to good/great ones.

Rozier was a brick layer in Boston till he came here
Melo had major shot questions as a prospect and put those all to bed quickly
Miles was a mediocre shooter his first two years and became very good
McDaniels/Martin both got to a good level
Monk figured it out in year 4
Devonte' blew up in 19-20
even PJ who doesn't appear to have improved much since coming to the NBA, wasn't much of a shooter in college

JB doesn't miss with the player development. For this alone, I'm happy to keep him and his staff around for now. This is where we truly appreciate how large a difference it is between him and Clifford

You left out Oubre. Easily a career year from 3 this year.
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#1767 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:03 am

truth.... provided it holds up. Oubre has been known to go on long cold stretches (see: his first 10+ games with GS, it's why they hate him there)

but i'm encouraged

Return to Charlotte Hornets