ImageImage

Prospect Thread: James Wiseman

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Re: Prospect Thread: James Wiseman 

Post#401 » by geraldwallace » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

This is a workout video from yesterday I really don't see how he has cement feet like so many of you guys claim
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#402 » by MugzZo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 pm

That size and athletic ability just can't be taught.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#403 » by James Gatz » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 am

There's really nothing in that video that shows his lateral quickness, where I am quite worried about him on the next level. There was never questions about his vertical pop or straight line drive ability.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,633

Post#404 » by yosemiteben » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:33 am

James Gatz wrote:There's really nothing in that video that shows his lateral quickness, where I am quite worried about him on the next level. There was never questions about his vertical pop or straight line drive ability.

Yeah, after I watched that video this one popped up and has more relevant video. Still not that much though.

luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,245

Post#405 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:58 am

His lateral quickness looked well above average for a 7 footer in that video. He could work on his balance on the balance beam if I'm being picky though :lol:
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#406 » by James Gatz » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:47 pm

I don't think we can really read much into the 4 seconds where he did the step drill.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#407 » by Braggins » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm becoming increasingly skeptical he'll be there at 3 tbh.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#408 » by DY_nasty » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:12 pm

James Gatz wrote:I don't think we can really read much into the 4 seconds where he did the step drill.

the list of legit 7 footers who can do any of that in the league even in a practice setting isn't that long man

i mean hell.... he's lighter on his feet that jahlil okafor was at that age. obviously not as skilled on offense, but athletically? this isn't some brendan haywood/steven hunter type of plodder
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,633

Post#409 » by yosemiteben » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:47 pm

Agreed that he doesn't look like a plodder. He is way more agile than Okafor.
geraldwallace
Junior

Post#410 » by geraldwallace » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:55 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Agreed that he doesn't look like a plodder. He is way more agile than Okafor.

He does not seem much slower than Tim Hardaway JR in the clip. Don’t see why a lot of people in the anti-Wiseman camp seem to think he moves like Big-Al post foot injury
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,245

Post#411 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:56 pm

James Gatz wrote:I don't think we can really read much into the 4 seconds where he did the step drill.

I get you don't want us to draft him but please at least try to be impartial with your observations. There is undeniable game and practice footage of him being clearly above average in both speed/movement and lateral quickness for a guy his size.
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#412 » by James Gatz » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:59 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:

I get you don't want us to draft him but please at least try to be impartial with your observations. There is undeniable game and practice footage of him being clearly above average in both speed/movement and lateral quickness for a guy his size.

I'm not alone in the stance his lateral agility is suspect. If I was the only one saying something of this sort then I think this criticism is fair. I've gone back and watched all of his college games. If you've done the same, it's fair to disagree with my opinion. I deeply worry about someone who struggles to stay in front of a guy like Peyton Prichard, who is a mid 2nd rounder at best. You mention game footage of his good lateral agility. Can you tell me when/where?

I've never questioned his straight line speed or his catch radius. If I did it would be fair to say I'm outright biased. He'll be a great rim runner in the league. The fact of the matter is he has not shown the ability to guard on perimeter. Below is a link where a person whose opinion I trust highly in the draft (@cosmis) breaks Wiseman down. If you listen it, I'd be more than willing to listen/read anything you have in support of Wiseman as a top guy in this draft. Cosmis is someone who watches way more basketball than most of us. Especially more of guys at the high school level. I trust his evaluation.

Starts around the 11 minute mark.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/1HyW7aiaXvRuyFK8f8ZIVc?si=ta9n8LWxQXKLDmebtZr4eg
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#413 » by SWedd523 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:37 am

I can't immediately think of any 7+ footers capable of being perimeter defenders. You don't draft them for that reason.

That's like being down on Haliburton because his block rate isn't high enough or down on Hayes because he gets abused by bigs down low.

Hell of a glass ceiling though
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#414 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:25 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I can't immediately think of any 7+ footers capable of being perimeter defenders. You don't draft them for that reason.

That's like being down on Haliburton because his block rate isn't high enough or down on Hayes because he gets abused by bigs down low.

https://www.truehoop.com/p/there-is-no-context-for-anthony-davis

If I told you there was a player who could shoot like Dirk, finish inside like Wilt, and defend like Robinson in the paint and like Kawhi on the perimeter, would you agree this big man has a chance to be the best ever at his position?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bendowsett/2020/06/29/rudy-goberts-improved-perimeter-defense-is-an-major-tool-for-the-utah-jazz/#190d6aec75c5

Per advanced player tracing data provided by a source, Gobert defended 160 isolation possessions that ended in a shot, foul, turnover or pass to an immediate shooter during the paused 2019-20 season. Only Rockets James Harden and PJ Tucker faced more, a nod to Houston’s switch-happy defense that invites a high volume of isolations. A solid chunk of these are switches onto the sorts of perimeter ball-handlers you’d figure give Gobert trouble – only they largely haven’t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/af8vul/who_are_the_best_perimeter_defending_centers_in/
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#415 » by James Gatz » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:28 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I can't immediately think of any 7+ footers capable of being perimeter defenders. You don't draft them for that reason.

Except if Hali can't block shots or Hayes can't defend in the post it wouldn't force them to be benched in the playoffs. If Wiseman can't defend the perimeter then he will played off the floor. I want a top 3 pick to be a guy who can't be rendered useless during the post season.

Unless he's going to be as good as Jokic or KAT offensively, he's not, then he needs to be an elite defender. Otherwise we are just drafting smarter Hassan Whiteside. He will put up numbers but he will not help us get to a championship level.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#416 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Literally the 10th time I've posted this, but you guys act like he moves like Tacko Fall or something. I dont get it.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#417 » by SWedd523 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:

https://www.truehoop.com/p/there-is-no-context-for-anthony-davis

If I told you there was a player who could shoot like Dirk, finish inside like Wilt, and defend like Robinson in the paint and like Kawhi on the perimeter, would you agree this big man has a chance to be the best ever at his position?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bendowsett/2020/06/29/rudy-goberts-improved-perimeter-defense-is-an-major-tool-for-the-utah-jazz/#190d6aec75c5

Per advanced player tracing data provided by a source, Gobert defended 160 isolation possessions that ended in a shot, foul, turnover or pass to an immediate shooter during the paused 2019-20 season. Only Rockets James Harden and PJ Tucker faced more, a nod to Houston’s switch-happy defense that invites a high volume of isolations. A solid chunk of these are switches onto the sorts of perimeter ball-handlers you’d figure give Gobert trouble – only they largely haven’t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/af8vul/who_are_the_best_perimeter_defending_centers_in/

I was waiting for Davis.

The guy who came into the draft at 6'10 and 222lb

Davis is closer in size to Harrison Barnes predraft than Wiseman.

At this rate, I'm waiting to see someone bring up Durant as a comparable player

And was that reddit link supposed to support the argument, by using historical HOF bigs that it's possible?

Its almost like context doesn't exist lol we're talking about guys who are all similar in draft stock in what is supposed to be a weak draft
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#418 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:56 pm

SMH.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#419 » by Rays Pompadour » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:05 pm

The real problem drafting Wiseman is that centers take much longer to develop than wings or guards. He has elite measurements, some elite skills. But the young man has a long way to go in his development to be a functional, then integral, then sensational NBA player.

The argument is that all these young players have to develop before really contributing to a club. But really tall, young men have a deeper developmental curve. If Charlotte gets him, it'll be for limited use - not a red shirt - and long term development. Our expectations should match the reality.
geraldwallace
Junior

Post#420 » by geraldwallace » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:17 pm

“Rumblings around the league suggest Charlotte covets Wiseman” Per Kevin O’Connor

Return to Charlotte Hornets