ImageImage

Prospect Thread: James Wiseman

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,190

Re: Prospect Thread: James Wiseman 

Post#181 » by JMAC3 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:59 am

I don’t mean this to sound disrespectful but as someone who has spent a lot of time around D1 basketball players. Most guys can make this move against smaller players, it was simple crossover and then dunk past a much smaller guy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#182 » by driveandkick » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:07 am

KGdaBom wrote:
driveandkick wrote:Yo

Read on Twitter

Jinx
Edwards probably going at 2. You can have Melo if you want him.

I really hope you are Minnesota's GM
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,875

Post#183 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:05 am

driveandkick wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Read on Twitter

Jinx
Edwards probably going at 2. You can have Melo if you want him.

I really hope you are Minnesota's GM

I wish I was.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#184 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:06 am

JMAC3 wrote:I don’t mean this to sound disrespectful but as someone who has spent a lot of time around D1 basketball players. Most guys can make this move against smaller players, it was simple crossover and then dunk past a much smaller guy.

It was a very nice crossover. How many players with equal or greater length to Wiseman currently playing in the NBA can make that move?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#185 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:08 am

Braggins wrote:

Read on Twitter

Who is he playing against? That looked like a nice crossover, but I'm not going to assume that will translate against NBA competition. Its still nice to see and hopefully there is more to come (if we end up getting him that is).

That's a six second video. It doesn't prove anything other than it was one nice crossover. I look at it and get visions of him doing the same in the NBA. Maybe that is a couple years away or maybe it never comes. I liked it.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,190

Post#186 » by JMAC3 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:38 am

KGdaBom wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I don’t mean this to sound disrespectful but as someone who has spent a lot of time around D1 basketball players. Most guys can make this move against smaller players, it was simple crossover and then dunk past a much smaller guy.

It was a very nice crossover. How many players with equal or greater length to Wiseman currently playing in the NBA can make that move?

My point is Dwight Howard can probably make that same move in a game that is meaningless. Big guys have skill when compared to me and you, if he did that in a college game or nba game I would be impressed. Not impressed in a scrimmage vs guys that work 3rd shift at Lowes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#187 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:59 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

My point is Dwight Howard can probably make that same move in a game that is meaningless. Big guys have skill when compared to me and you, if he did that in a college game or nba game I would be impressed. Not impressed in a scrimmage vs guys that work 3rd shift at Lowes.

he's bigger than dwight

most guys aren't his size lol

the fact any 7-1, 230+ guy can do that - game time or not - is a feat on its own. most legit 7 footers (the good and the bad players) don't have that kind of agility

i dont care if he can do that in game at all. the fact that he can even change direction with coordination like that is significant.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#188 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:38 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:It was a very nice crossover. How many players with equal or greater length to Wiseman currently playing in the NBA can make that move?

he's bigger than dwight

most guys aren't his size lol

the fact any 7-1, 230+ guy can do that - game time or not - is a feat on its own. most legit 7 footers (the good and the bad players) don't have that kind of agility

i dont care if he can do that in game at all. the fact that he can even change direction with coordination like that is significant.

Amen. You're preaching to the choir. IMO the Wolves who already have KAT should make him the #1 player in the draft. if he somehow falls to 3 and Charlotte who has a huge need for a player like him passes on him they will regret it. Regret it a lot.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#189 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:40 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

It was a nice crossover. Better IMO than Embiid, or D Howard would have done.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#190 » by BigSlam » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:01 pm

DY_nasty wrote:the fact any 7-1, 230+ guy can do that - game time or not - is a feat on its own. most legit 7 footers (the good and the bad players) don't have that kind of agility.

That’s what stood out to me as well. He did it so effortlessly and gracefully.

We’ve seen guys like Howard try stuff like that and it’s so mechanical - it’s like he tenses every muscle in his body as soon as he starts to try the motion and overthink is it.

And forget Drummond doing it, he’s just too heavy footed and slow.

Wiseman made it look natural and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#191 » by James Gatz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:04 pm

If the Wolves want to take Wiseman number 1 then that's basically best case scenario as I see it. Would be happy with Ball or Edwards.

Braggins wrote:Man, him only playing three college games and looking so good in them could end up being a blessing or a curse for whoever drafts him, depending on where he goes.

Also did you watch those games? Over the past few days I went back and watched all of Oregon and SC State and he looked okay but did not jump off the screen and make me feel like he was #1 guy. I'm not convinced he would have even gone top 5 in last year's mediocre draft either.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#192 » by Braggins » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:20 pm

James Gatz wrote:If the Wolves want to take Wiseman number 1 then that's basically best case scenario as I see it. Would be happy with Ball or Edwards.

Braggins wrote:Man, him only playing three college games and looking so good in them could end up being a blessing or a curse for whoever drafts him, depending on where he goes.

Also did you watch those games? Over the past few days I went back and watched all of Oregon and SC State and he looked okay but did not jump off the screen and make me feel like he was #1 guy. I'm not convinced he would have even gone top 5 in last year's mediocre draft either.

But the lead guards you prefer who had TS% of 46% and 52% and don't even try to play defense do jump off the screen and look like #1 picks to you?

I'm not thrilled with the prospect of drafting Wiseman or anything, but the alternatives seem worse to me. Go look at the video that just got posted in the Lamelo thread of him throwing up wild pull up 3 pointer bricks, shooting hilarious 15+ foot floaters, getting abused trying to finish at the rim against NBL competition, and getting torched on defense. Im having trouble seeing how Wiseman has any more warts than our other options.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#193 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:33 pm

James Gatz wrote:If the Wolves want to take Wiseman number 1 then that's basically best case scenario as I see it. Would be happy with Ball or Edwards.

After Zion, Ja, and RJ - that draft went off a cliff :lol:

Wiseman goes top 5 easily. I can't say that about any of these guards or wings though.
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#194 » by driveandkick » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:43 pm

DY_nasty wrote:

Wiseman goes top 5 easily. I can't say that about any of these guards or wings though.

I'm 99.9% sure if there were a redraft tomorrow all 30 NBA GM's would take PJ Washington over James Wiseman.
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#195 » by James Gatz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Braggins wrote:
I'm not thrilled with the prospect of drafting Wiseman or anything, but the alternatives seem worse to me. Go look at the video that just got posted in the Lamelo thread of him throwing up wild pull up 3 pointer bricks, shooting hilarious 15+ foot floaters, getting abused trying to finish at the rim against NBL competition, and getting torched on defense. Im having trouble seeing how Wiseman has any more warts than our other options.

Stones at Edwards or Ball are totally fair. I'm not in love with either as prospects. Melo and Edwards have horrible shot selection and are lacking often as defenders. I believe Ball's off ball defense to be excellent at moments, but he does take plays off.

My disagreement with your take is that he did not excel at the college level in the 3 games he played. He might be the best pick and if he draft him I'll root for him like hell. Yet, I just want us to be realistic about what type of player he is likely to be.

2019 Draft with Wiseman

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Herro
4) RJ
5) Clarke? PJ? Wiseman?

You're right maybe he would make it into the top 5?
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#196 » by Braggins » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:46 pm

James Gatz wrote:
Braggins wrote:

Stones at Edwards or Ball are totally fair. I'm not in love with either as prospects. Melo and Edwards have horrible shot selection and are lacking often as defenders. I believe Ball's off ball defense to be excellent at moments, but he does take plays off.

My disagreement with your take is that he did not excel at the college level in the 3 games he played. He might be the best pick and if he draft him I'll root for him like hell. Yet, I just want us to be realistic about what type of player he is likely to be.

2019 Draft with Wiseman

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Herro
4) RJ
5) Clarke? PJ? Wiseman?

You're right maybe he would make it into the top 5?

He maybe didn't excel to the extent that you would like for a number 1 pick, but he still did better in those games than Ball/Edwards did in their seasons and he was being touted as the definite 1st pick based on that sample before he got suspended (I'm sure the class being weak was a factor in that projection). I definitely believe your word that he showed some flaws in those games, but he also showed potential and put up really good numbers.

I haven't watched any full games yet because there is too much playoff action going on right now, but based on their numbers and the scouting breakdown videos Ive seen, I think it seems pretty likely that if you broke down some Ball/Edwards games with a similar level of scrutiny that they would come out looking even worse.

My expectations for Wiseman really aren't all that high. I think theres some reason to be hopeful that he could actually be a prospect worthy of a number one pick, but that isn't what I'm expecting. I actually think it seems like people are being less realistic about what type of players Ball and Edwards are going to be than they are about Wiseman.

Idk, this draft really does seem to suck and is going to probably be volatile for a bunch of different reasons. Hell, maybe Okongwu really is the guy?
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#197 » by DY_nasty » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:11 pm

driveandkick wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

I'm 99.9% sure if there were a redraft tomorrow all 30 NBA GM's would take PJ Washington over James Wiseman.

....maybe?

PJ was hurt and he honestly could've slipped even further in that draft.

The best bigs after that tier-above top 3 were Jaxson Hayes and Rui - both had bigger questions than Wiseman ever did. Redraft isn't weighing prospects from different classes against each other. Its hindsight foppery. Go back another year and Wiseman is a better prospect than Wendell and Bamba too. Hell, as a high school player he'd have been rated higher than both.

I'm curious as to what you guys DONT like about the guy now. Am I missing something? It feels like we're just making up stuff at this point
James Gatz
Veteran

Post#198 » by James Gatz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Totally fair Braggins. I'm going to take a look and watch some full Lamelo and Edward games next. I'll probably watch the last Wiseman game as well just to see his full sample.

To be clear, if we were picking at 8 I'd be totally happy with him. With the chance at players with potentially higher upsides I'm less bullish. Regardless, I'm super excited we got to move up and feel a little hope for once!
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#199 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:58 pm

driveandkick wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

IMO you would be so wrong. Washington had a good season and is a good player, but he's not a 7'1" athletic center with 7'6" wingspan. I believe a strong majority of the GMs would draft Wiseman over Washington. We will never know, but since you were throwing an opinion out there I figure I might as well throw mine out as well.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#200 » by HornetJail » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:40 pm

driveandkick wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

lol absolutely not :lol:

I get that Washington is like the most productive rookie we've had since Okafor basically, but he's not that special. I'd love to hear an explanation why PJ is ever going to be more than a 3rd option.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Charlotte Hornets