DY_nasty wrote:JMAC3 wrote:I don’t think I’m going to be able to convince this group. I am a very analytical thinker, probably because I study poker odds everyday.
At the end of the day I care about winning, and more importantly winning in the playoffs. In poker there is a term called implied odds (meaning that if a certain outcome occurs then it will actually be a more profitable outcome then the numbers look at first glance).
If I draft a top 5 center in the league that’s awesome, but as we can see it doesn’t really guarantee much. If I land a top 5 wing in the draft I’m going to be a contender every year.
Circling back to implied odds- let’s say for fun there is a 10 percent chance a wing in this draft becomes a superstar and a 25 percent chance a big man becomes a superstar.
At first glance it looks like I’m better off taking a center, but in reality the 10% of the time I draft a wing and he becomes a superstar I come out winning more then when I get the center so therefore it is the more valuable play.
(Poker lesson) let’s say there is 500 dollars in the pot and my opponent bets 500. I have to pay 500 to win 1000 so I need a 50% to win the pot. If I have a flush draw I have 25% chance to get it (need 1 out of 4 suits). So you would think fold at first glance... but let’s say my opponent has 1000 left in his stack, I know he has a good hand and will have to call my all in if I hit the flush. So therefore I have a 25% chance to win the 1000 in the pot and the 1000 in his stack so it’s really 500 to win 2000 and therefore I have the right odds to call.
Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
this probably sounded amazing in your head but i promise it didn't come across that way
Thats fine, you probably just didn’t follow my thought process.
Analytics aren’t for everyone, there is a reason that other sports have shifted to positional value being super important. Basketball will eventually get there.
There is a reason it’s bad to draft a RB in the first round of the NFL draft, why you don’t draft relief pitchers in the first round of the MLB draft..
The writing is on the wall why you don’t draft a big man in the top 5 in the NBA draft, but it’s not an unwritten rule yet.
Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app