ImageImage

Prospect Thread: Obi Toppin

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop, BigSlam, JDR720

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 2,145

Re: Prospect Thread: Obi Toppin 

Post#101 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:48 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Stats are all fine and dandy, but you still have to be able to project how he scores points. He played center for Dayton, they ran 5 out and he basically stood in the paint on defense.

He scored a ton of points leaking out on offense, do you think he scores like that in NBA playing the 4/5? I don’t.

I think offensively he might be a more athletic PJ, who shoots threes and scores a little down low. However I don’t think he has any superstar upside.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

If he could replicate his college success where he was the college player of the year in the NBA that would equal being the MVP. Maybe one player in 50 replicates their college success in the NBA. However, his shooting and finishing skills are probably the best combination of those two skills in the draft. For example my Wolves want to play 5 out. He's about the perfect player for that. I'm not advocating for him at #1 overall. I just think the naysayers regarding him are a bit over the Toppin. :lol:
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 3,348

Post#102 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:18 am

Statistically Toppin is lousy? 99th percentile in offensive efficiency. Trounces Frank in effective field goal percentage.

Rebutted by Okongwu and Wiseman? One had an inferior points per possession, the other had a small sample, both built their numbers on foul shots rather than modern NBA offense. Do yourself a favor and don't compare Okongwu to Toppin on offense and I won't compare them on defense. 99th percentile doesn't mean the bottom, it means the top.
It has been written...

luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#103 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:27 am

I said Toppin is a lousy prospect I didn’t say he was statistically lousy. I’d rather not draft a defensive turnstile.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 3,348

Post#104 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:29 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:The last few posts in this thread by yourself and KGdaBom show statistically speaking Toppin is a lousy prospect. Even the offensive stats MasterIchiro found to support him have been rebutted as Wiseman and Okongwu do similar if not better offensively with much better defensive ratings.

To say an 18/19 year old Miles Bridges posted similar numbers in a much better conference is just the icing on the cake. To put it in perspective like you said he’s almost the exact same age right now as Miles Bridges. Bridges would probably average 30/10/10 for Dayton last year lol.

Not to mention to me Toppin looked terrible with the eye test (particularly defensively) unless you get excited for highlight dunkers. Hard, hard pass on Toppin.

Maybe try again.
It has been written...

Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
And1: 1,382

Post#105 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:37 pm

Obi strikes me as the Cho/Jordan/Cliff kind of pick.
Hope is free.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#106 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:The last few posts in this thread by yourself and KGdaBom show statistically speaking Toppin is a lousy prospect. Even the offensive stats MasterIchiro found to support him have been rebutted as Wiseman and Okongwu do similar if not better offensively with much better defensive ratings.

To say an 18/19 year old Miles Bridges posted similar numbers in a much better conference is just the icing on the cake. To put it in perspective like you said he’s almost the exact same age right now as Miles Bridges. Bridges would probably average 30/10/10 for Dayton last year lol.

Not to mention to me Toppin looked terrible with the eye test (particularly defensively) unless you get excited for highlight dunkers. Hard, hard pass on Toppin.

Maybe try again.

My bad, I meant he is a lousy prospect he isn’t statistically. Sorry I don’t always proofread my post.

Either way he still sucks defensively and is a one trick pony dunking on offense.

Return to Charlotte Hornets